NFL (08/09) Super Bowl XLIII: Pittsburgh Steelers vs Arizona Cardinals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Superbowl MVP

Jesus christ, 2 go ahead TDs in the 4th quarter aren't MVP like... Let alone Manning to Tyree...

YOu don't even know who SHOULD have gotten it for the Giants so you shouldn't be critical of who DID get it Riggy...

Jesus christ, 2 go ahead TDs in the 4th quarter aren't MVP like... Let alone Manning to Tyree...

YOu don't even know who SHOULD have gotten it for the Giants so you shouldn't be critical of who DID get it Riggy...
So is Warner the MVP?

double standards.

And they also stuffed up because they gave Branch the one that Brady should of got, and previously gave Brady the one Branch should of got. It may have evened up in the end, but the point is it's a mockery of the award when these people try to rig it with thoughts like this....

"Well, Peyton didnt have a great game, but he's a great player, and he may never see another SB again, so we better give him the MVP award, because we gave Brady two, and in the future writers will use this as a way to say Manning wasnt as HOF as Brady was or something like that".

Tyree shoulda won the MVP. ;)

And they also stuffed up because they gave Branch the one that Brady should of got, and previously gave Brady the one Branch should of got. It may have evened up in the end, but the point is it's a mockery of the award when these people try to rig it with thoughts like this....

"Well, Peyton didnt have a great game, but he's a great player, and he may never see another SB again, so we better give him the MVP award, because we gave Brady two, and in the future writers will use this as a way to say Manning wasnt as HOF as Brady was or something like that".

I've had different opinions of who deserves the MVP in previous Supabah's as well...even last year.. nothing against Eli but sheesh...the G-Men D stepped up and kept the Pats under control.. FWIW, Big Ben had a better game than Eli did but that's how I saw it. Have watched last season's Supabah twice (both replayed) and still think it was an absolute classic!!

Getting to GG's reply... I think your spot on... these dills who make the 'fixed choice' are just trying to pump up the profile of certain players. Nothing less, nothing more. Anyone remember the MVP of Supabah XXX??

The Forgotten defender..
Bloody Larry!

Woodson said:
FWIW, Big Ben had a better game than Eli did but that's how I saw it.
Of course you do ;)

Anyway you look at it, the D didn't WIN us the game... Kept us close enough but couldn't force turnovers or score points... Only one half of the team could score twice in the last quarter to take the lead both times.

No doubt probably the biggest 'step up' for a D ever that I have seen... Keeping the mighty Patriots to 14 points. And Tuck's personal impact was greatly diminished in the second half when double teamed.

I would like to hear your reasoning for the BB>Eli comment though Woodson...

Which leads me to another point....

The MVP award. Did anyone feel that Holmes wasnt the right choice?
I called it would be to Holmes, so I think I would have to agree with the choice. However, it could have also gone to Ben. Both players stepped up at key times though, so it is a close call.

Ben will get his next year. ;)

Re: (08/09) Superbowl XLIII: Arizona vs Pittsburgh

They neglected to discuss the roughing the passer call on Roethlisberger. How convenient!

So basically, Pereira said....

1. Holmes should've been flagged for excessive celebration, but the ref missed it.
2. The official upstairs ERRED in not sending the Warner fumble to an official review. Irrespective of whether the call stayed or got reversed, he should've done it, said Pereira.

And then they just babbled on about Harrison's TD just answering the question about whether the half wouldve ended IF he got tackled short of the endzone. Just a "what if" discussion.

And then they discussed the roughing the holder call. Which everyone admits was a right call.

But they ignored the Roethlisberger roughing the passer call, and some other decisions too.

Missed out on seeing the second quarter, but saw the rest. I honestly didnt think Steelers would come back and win it, but then again I thought Arizona was never going to get back in it.

Not exactly sure why Dave Hughes was part of the Australian commentary team..? I thought they were way to Graham focused, but I presumed they would focus on him a lot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cats2rise...

in hindsight, the first half was pretty boring. only the int return.
but the second half was awesome. in the end, the tension and rollercoast ride was greater than the giants-pats SB of last season.
Questionable, but obviously from my bias view :p

I think it really depends on what viewpoint you see it as as well... First 19-0 team or firs tteam to 6 rings.

They neglected to discuss the roughing the passer call on Roethlisberger. How convenient!
Are you saying the roughing the passer was not roughing the passer? That is not in doubt IMO. I don't think many people contend that. Ben had gotten rid of the ball, finished his follow through and the guy ran into him. Whilst it was probably the harshest one Ben has gotten all season, it is by no means the harshest one given out all season. These calls usually just don't go Ben's way like they do the Mannings, Rivers, Warner, Flacco, etc.

So basically, Pereira said....

1. Holmes should've been flagged for excessive celebration, but the ref missed it.
Yeah, he admitted that was missed, but it was hardly going to change the game, what is the penalty, they do the kick off from the 15 instead of the 30? Those calls are missed all the time anyway, they are more of a bonus than an expected call.

I also note how they didn't discuss the many missed holding calls on Harrison. Why? Because those kind of calls don't happen all the time.

2. The official upstairs ERRED in not sending the Warner fumble to an official review. Irrespective of whether the call stayed or got reversed, he should've done it, said Pereira.
He said he should have sent it down, however the right call was made, so it is irrelevant how it was made. To complain about that is just ridiculous. It was clearly a fumble. Everyone knew it was a fumble. Nobody disagrees that it was not a fumble (except for maybe a few blind Cards fans that don't understand football or have their rose coloured glasses on). It was called a fumble, the video replay agreed with the call, therefore there was no need to send it down for further review. Maybe he COULD (or even to be on the safe side should) have sent it down for review. But he did not need to as he determined the call to be right. End of story. What do you want them to do, send almost every play down for review just to get the same result all the time???

And then they just babbled on about Harrison's TD just answering the question about whether the half wouldve ended IF he got tackled short of the endzone. Just a "what if" discussion.
That was allegedly a question that had been asked. I think it was there to say that even if the call was reversed, the Steelers still would have had a crack at the end zone (although knowing the Steelers likely they would have missed it!). Dunno why you are complaining about it though. The main person to blame on that play is that Arizona player that had that great block on Fitzgerald. Top work by him! What issues did you have with that play? The blocking? Like that never happens with an interception. :rolleyes:

And then they discussed the roughing the holder call. Which everyone admits was a right call.
Yes they did, what is the point of this? I thought it was interesting.

Zarko....

Not the 19-0 vs 6 Sb thing. Just the tension in the game itself. The cards-steelers was a bit boring for half the game, but the whole second half was massive tension and things going on all over the place, and the fairytale aspect was rooting for the underdogs to fight back from a losing position, and then the celebration turning sour with the ending, went back and forth like that thruout the 2nd half, not sure, the game more in the balance.

The pats-giants was very tense right from the start all the way thru, but it was more like you felt the giants had a shot to win the game right from the start and so it was looking like the fairytale would happen, a tense moment when Moss scored near the end, but otherwise, the giants really had it over them thru the whole game, you felt they were on top and would win.

Yeah, he admitted that was missed, but it was hardly going to change the game, what is the penalty, they do the kick off from the 15 instead of the 30?

The rest of your post was fair enough. But this is wrong. If they got flagged Warner/Fitzgerald would have started from around the 40-50 yard line, not the 20, in those last 40 secs of the game. The Cards managed to drive to the 30. So if they started from their own 40 or the halfway line, it's very likely the Cards "couldve" been at the 10 yard line with 10 secs to play, a couple of throws into the endzone.

Stop whinging about the referring guys, the game is over and there is nothing more we can do about it.
Sure there were errors and it probably cost us a little bit, but our own errors are what cost us the most. The stupid penalties like Gandys 3 holding calls and Wilsons roughing the holder etc.
They are the sorts of things that cost us the game.

End of story for me.

The rest of your post was fair enough. But this is wrong. If they got flagged Warner/Fitzgerald would have started from around the 40-50 yard line, not the 20, in those last 40 secs of the game. The Cards managed to drive to the 30. So if they started from their own 40 or the halfway line, it's very likely the Cards "couldve" been at the 10 yard line with 10 secs to play, a couple of throws into the endzone.
Is it a 20-30 yard penalty? I thought it was 15 yards?

Stop whinging about the referring guys, the game is over and there is nothing more we can do about it.
Sure there were errors and it probably cost us a little bit, but our own errors are what cost us the most. The stupid penalties like Gandys 3 holding calls and Wilsons roughing the holder etc.
They are the sorts of things that cost us the game.

End of story for me.
Agreed, though I think Gandy's holding calls were a necessary evil as he was on Harrison all day. How else was he to stop old silverback??

It is almost unlucky that this has been happening all year and it has never been called this much, in fact, almost never that I can remember. Gandy was pretty obvious with a few of the headlocks though!!

Is it a 20-30 yard penalty? I thought it was 15 yards?

A kickoff from the 30 yard line results in a ball being caught at the 1 yard line, with a rough kick return of 20 odd yards.

A kickoff from the 15 yard line (after a penalty like that) would result in the ball being caught around the 15-20....with a rough 20 yard return. Results in team starting their drive from around the 40.

These kickoffs tho have a tendency to result in longer kick returns because the kicking team puts more distance than height into the kick and so the kick return team can set up a lot better.

How so? Manning's team WON the game...
Now that i've had a nice afternoon nap. and rethought what I said, I have no idea what I was on when I was saying that shit.

Now Roethlisberger was > bother Mannings, but besides Fitz, Warner.

Holmes had the best game of any player in all 3 superbowls. (only looking on offense).

How long untill that Holmes catch will be up on Wikipedia as NFL lore?

last time I checked it wasnt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back