AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (VC)

Remove this Banner Ad

He has the ability to be prolific but yes his kicking would be a concern. I’d want a directive for him to be more handball orientated regardless of position.
At AFL level? I feel like we've gave him a chance to do it before Darcy, he didn't, we turned to Darcy who exploded and the rest as they say......

At AFL level? I feel like we've gave him a chance to do it before Darcy, he didn't, we turned to Darcy who exploded and the rest as they say......
I reckon in 2020 he was looking okay till the ankle injury. looked like he was starting to find confidence in his pace and used it to breakaway from packs rather than just doing the dump kicks.
From memory I think it was the hawks game where joe kicked one of his last bags for us where he really shone in midfield

We can malign him (he’s a jobbing back pocket, not the superstar everybody thinks you’ll get with pick 1), but he finished 4th in the B&F last season so he’s clearly rated highly internally for what he delivers.
Maybe the people who rate him and give him the votes need to go...

We can malign him (he’s a jobbing back pocket, not the superstar everybody thinks you’ll get with pick 1), but he finished 4th in the B&F last season so he’s clearly rated highly internally for what he delivers.
Our club standards and expectations have been very low for far to long.

Maybe the people who rate him and give him the votes need to go...

Well I'm sure we will soon. Since McGrath lobbed we've had Worsfold, that weird Worsfold / Rutten thing, Rutten and now Scott. I'm sure the next one is not far away.

Our club standards and expectations have been very low for far to long.

Or maybe he just does his job, as underwhelming as that might be to us watching.

Doesn't mean as much any more. Pretty sure Snelling came 2nd or 3rd the year before that.

Yes. Probably a good sign that as supporters we have NFI what actually matters to coaches.

Players playing for themselves racking up stats vs players doing whatever the team needs whether it's glamorous or not.

He has the ability to be prolific but yes his kicking would be a concern. I’d want a directive for him to be more handball orientated regardless of position.

He can accumulate the football, but his issue is he panics with the ball most of the time.
He second guesses constantly when he has the ball, he will handpass to a guy standing next to him because he just wilts under pressure when he has the ball.

When he calms down and plays his natural game which is to run forwards he looks fine. But in the heat of a pack is not his go, he plays back going forward, not in the midfield.

His disposal isn't THAT bad, but two big issues are his indecisive nature with the ball means he gets himself into trouble, and he looks down too much so he laces out opposition players who come in from the side that he does not see in the lane as he goes to kick.

He's not a bad player, he's just ok. Unfortunately in an average side being ok isn't good. Your not shit enough to be cut to improve the team and you ain't going to be the drive of improvement to get the team up to being great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He can accumulate the football, but his issue is he panics with the ball most of the time.
He second guesses constantly when he has the ball, he will handpass to a guy standing next to him because he just wilts under pressure when he has the ball.

When he calms down and plays his natural game which is to run forwards he looks fine. But in the heat of a pack is not his go, he plays back going forward, not in the midfield.

His disposal isn't THAT bad, but two big issues are his indecisive nature with the ball means he gets himself into trouble, and he looks down too much so he laces out opposition players who come in from the side that he does not see in the lane as he goes to kick.

He's not a bad player, he's just ok. Unfortunately in an average side being ok isn't good. Your not s**t enough to be cut to improve the team and you ain't going to be the drive of improvement to get the team up to being great.
Also being pick 1 and also being just ok certainly rankles a bit.

I think if you'd picked him late in the first round or in the second round you'd be stoked but pick 1 is a rare commodity and you really need to nail it.

For every ****wit Carlton supporter berating the selection, hes not even in the top 5 worst no.1 picks in the history of the AFL draft #unhinged

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (VC)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back