AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (VC)

Remove this Banner Ad

Players going on a training camp, on their AFLPA mandated off-season away from the club, on their own coin, to see how other athletes train seems pretty reasonable to me.

If they're engaged in learning and wanting to improve what they're doing, that's a positive. They can bring back that experience and apply it to their future training. The idea that the club is the start and end of fitness training and resources for a full-time athlete is pretty flawed. Guys like LeBron and Mahomes have their own PTs alongside the club programs for example.

Martin has a PT in Perth he's worked with, Ridley and McGrath have worked with a sprint coach here, Tsatas was training with Prime Train during the off-season at some point.

I'd be more concerned about a player not seeking outside resources than I would be with one(s) who are.
I totally disagree. The clubs that are successful didn't need to do it...and if they had to go to the other side of the world to work that sort of thing out, well.. i don't know what tell you. Anyhow - the proof's in the pudding. It didn't work.

He looked a lot more grittier and rugged at the start of the year. He has lost his way a little. He’s not alone though.
He should be one who stands up as VC, this excuse for he and often Heppell is that they weren’t alone though, everything looks great when we are winning but in losses they just continually get bundled into group of players who had a shocker or just didn’t crack in. There’s often only a handful of players in our side that can hold their head up when the going gets tough and the VC and former captain aren’t on that list

He should be one who stands up as VC, this excuse for he and often Heppell is that they weren’t alone though, everything looks great when we are winning but in losses they just continually get bundled into group of players who had a shocker or just didn’t crack in. There’s often only a handful of players in our side that can hold their head up when the going gets tough and the VC and former captain aren’t on that list
If you have followed my posts I haven’t been the biggest supporter of him from a leadership perspective. I was strictly speaking from a playing perspective. Personally I would prefer Durham to be the vice.

I totally disagree. The clubs that are successful didn't need to do it...and if they had to go to the other side of the world to work that sort of thing out, well.. i don't know what tell you. Anyhow - the proof's in the pudding. It didn't work.

This is an interesting article that might be relevant to this discussion.

Just because they could find good PTs here, doesn't mean they have to. Again, it's their AFLPA mandated off-season away from the club. They could spend their time doing lines in Ibiza if they wanted. Instead they opted to go and seek out high performance coaches elsewhere.

Seems a really strange thing to be potting the players for, along with a deeply flawed conclusion you're making.

McGrath was the driver.
xhss9.jpg

Fletch speaks a bit about the value of going away on team trips together in his autobio, to the extent of them being invaluable. Leaving the Australian context together also has the potential of being psychologically powerful because it enables those players, through their shared experience, to build bonds and trust and value each other. I would only have suggested that they do that kind of program in a non-English speaking country, where the language barrier makes them more reliant on each other.

The other point to make is that they're not obliged to do this. Going away, especially for the youngers, makes it more palatable. Kudos should go to Rids for trying to change the culture. The party boys can't be allowed to define the cultural standard with their Ibiza / music festival stuff.

McGrath personifies everything wrong with this club over the past decade, I can't believe he is VC and if he ever becomes C after Zach, FMD!

He shows nothing on field as a leader, panics, makes poor decisions, presses up too far so that he can't get back and is the perfect example of I train hard and try and have good intentions, but if we lose or make a mistake, its fine as long as the process was good.

McGrath had a damn good first half of the year, and from memory had a good first half last year. It was only a couple of weeks ago the media was celebrating the defensive ‘scalps’ he’s taken this year.

I think his dropoff correlates with our teams inability to sustain pressure up the ground which puts the back six under immense pressure. Ie, we can’t sustain it becuase our list isn’t fit enough to sustain it.

Personally, I think he’s the least of our issues. Having no pressure forwards, having a team that doesn’t have the tank to run out a season and having a game plan (kick mark/high possession) that seemingly contrasts the way the top teams are playing are the biggest issues for mine. Not our VC.

McGrath had a damn good first half of the year, and from memory had a good first half last year. It was only a couple of weeks ago the media was celebrating the defensive ‘scalps’ he’s taken this year.

I think his dropoff correlates with our teams inability to sustain pressure up the ground which puts the back six under immense pressure. Ie, we can’t sustain it becuase our list isn’t fit enough to sustain it.

Personally, I think he’s the least of our issues. Having no pressure forwards, having a team that doesn’t have the tank to run out a season and having a game plan (kick mark/high possession) that seemingly contrasts the way the top teams are playing are the biggest issues for mine. Not our VC.
yeah ive been critical of him this week but thats more to do with on field leadership/lack of composure.
some of the stuff being posted in here dismissing his value to the team as a player and suggesting he doesn't care is out of line. He is always trying and doesnt drop his head, i just think when we are under pressure he isnt a calming influence on the team.
I think for next year we need to take the VC off him, and let him focus on his role as a small defender as he is easily our best lockdown small. The disappointing thing is I dont think other guys in backline that are same age bracket/experience in redman/ridley are really stepping up as leaders either.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah ive been critical of him this week but thats more to do with on field leadership/lack of composure.
some of the stuff being posted in here dismissing his value to the team as a player and suggesting he doesn't care is out of line. He is always trying and doesnt drop his head, i just think when we are under pressure he isnt a calming influence on the team.
I think for next year we need to take the VC off him, and let him focus on his role as a small defender as he is easily our best lockdown small. The disappointing thing is I dont think other guys in backline/experience that are in same age brack in redman/ridley are really stepping up as leaders either.
Agree with taking VC off him. I genuinely don’t know who else to make VC though. Langford would have been my pick but he’s dropped off.
Someone else said Caldwell… I actually think he might be best. He’s a lead from the front type. FMD it’s slim pickings.

If Ridley had the full year i think he would be up there fwiw.

Agree with taking VC off him. I genuinely don’t know who else to make VC though. Langford would have been my pick but he’s dropped off.
Someone else said Caldwell… I actually think he might be best. He’s a lead from the front type. FMD it’s slim pickings.

If Ridley had the full year i think he would be up there fwiw.
I dont know why but Im a bit disappointed with Rids this year, he is our best user of the footy but he seems to be just going without taking ownership of the whole backline. happy to take the safe option and give it to a poor decision maker like mckay/kelly/lavderde short when he is under pressure rather than try work through the pressure himself and go for a more effective option.

Yeah caldwell seems to have the real competitive streak that Merrett has, wouldnt mind that except they are both mids.

I dont know why but Im a bit disappointed with Rids this year, he is our best user of the footy but he just seems to be just going without taking ownership of the whole backline. happy to take the safe option and give it to a mckay/kelly/lavderde short when he is under pressure rather than try work through the pressure himself and go for a more effective option.

Yeah caldwell seems to have the real competitive streak that Merrett has, wouldnt mind that except they are both mids.
Im willing to give rids a concession this season, to miss all that footy with a quad is pretty brutal. Agree he looked off the pace. He desperately needs continuity this offseason. He and Parish - by offering those contracts as a club we have said these are the guys that will lead us to a premiership. We need them primed for next season.

Agree. He's not VC material though.

Yeah but he's not Hugh McCluggage so it doesn't matter

Like ghostdog I agree with your summation about his start to the year and how exposed he might be when the mids are getting cooked - BUT conversely, I do not see McGrath 'righting the ship' at his end of the ground by being relentless in his pressure, giving noticeable effort, showing strength at the contest and having a cool, calm presence with good use of the footy. That's what I'd expect from a leader.

Like ghostdog I agree with your summation about his start to the year and how exposed he might be when the mids are getting cooked - BUT conversely, I do not see McGrath 'righting the ship' at his end of the ground by being relentless in his pressure, giving noticeable effort, showing strength at the contest and having a cool, calm presence with good use of the footy. That's what I'd expect from a leader.
I mean he's no Nick Maxwell or Luke Hodge but we don't (or didn't at the start of the year) have many other players who were putting their hands up for a leadership role.

I'd expect Ridley and McGrath to be organising the defence, but I agree, McGrath has a tendency to drop off in intensity or to drop his bundle. He has copped flak for his dump kicks - they can be infuriating but they also give the defenders time to set up when the heat is there. I'm more concerned that he's maybe a 70-30 field kick to a target and that his pressure drops. The latter is mainly why I prefer Caldwell as VC; his pressure seems to intensify. jdstorm would have him at HB, but I don't see him organising a backline.

Im willing to give rids a concession this season, to miss all that footy with a quad is pretty brutal. Agree he looked off the pace. He desperately needs continuity this offseason. He and Parish - by offering those contracts as a club we have said these are the guys that will lead us to a premiership. We need them primed for next season.
Yeah, Ridley hasn't been the same since the quad and now he's injured again. I'd be happy for him to wrap it up now and get his body right for pre-season / next year.

I reckon Langford's been carrying that hip pointer (whatever that is) as well.

I'd expect Ridley and McGrath to be organising the defence, but I agree, McGrath has a tendency to drop off in intensity or to drop his bundle. He has copped flak for his dump kicks - they can be infuriating but they also give the defenders time to set up when the heat is there. I'm more concerned that he's maybe a 70-30 field kick to a target and that his pressure drops. The latter is mainly why I prefer Caldwell as VC; his pressure seems to intensify. jdstorm would have him at HB, but I don't see him organising a backline.
You would expect them to but it is not . Anyone who gets the opportunity to go live will see that Laverde does most of the organizing along with Heppell.

You would expect them to but it is not . Anyone who gets the opportunity to go live will see that Laverde does most of the organizing along with Heppell.
Is it because they can't or because they've been so reliant on Heppell all this time. It's inexplicable that the VC would not be organising.

Maybe Heppell retiring and Laverde being delisted (if that happens) could give rise to Ridley and McGrath being more involved.

Doesn't surprise me that Laverde does, and I actually wouldn't mind if he stayed on. He's not the most skilled, but you'd be more comfortable in the trenches with him than some others. He's got a full heart.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (VC)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back