AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (VC)

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s the least of our problems

always sunny idk GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

He's not a problem as a small defender when he sticks to his job. Probably a best 22 back pocket in most AFL sides i think.

He tries to do too much as VC though and i dont think he should be VC.

He is overpaid, and we gave him too many years on his latest contract.

But i think taking the VC off him could humble him somewhat and take some pressure off and just let him concentrate on being a small defender.

Not sure whether Scott would do that though or whether its a player voted thing. Zach clear captain but the VC choice is less obvious due to botched list management the last 10 years. McGrath has got it almost by default, rather than displaying any natural leadership qualities

Only Essendon would take a number 1 draft pick and turn it into a back pocket that you could cover with a mature age rookie pick 🤦

I love Pidge and think he does a great job as a small defender but surely with his running ability and our monumental lack of quality wingers we give some time up the ground.

always sunny idk GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

He's not a problem as a small defender when he sticks to his job. Probably a best 22 back pocket in most AFL sides i think.

He tries to do too much as VC though and i dont think he should be VC.

He is overpaid, and we gave him too many years on his latest contract.

But i think taking the VC off him could humble him somewhat and take some pressure off and just let him concentrate on being a small defender.

Not sure whether Scott would do that though or whether its a player voted thing. Zach clear captain but the VC choice is less obvious due to botched list management the last 10 years. McGrath has got it almost by default, rather than displaying any natural leadership qualities

Agree, seems to be trying to do too much which creates issues.

I'd take him out of the leadership group entirely and just let him focus on playing for a bit. Maybe he'll come back in down the track, maybe not.

Is your typical private school prefect kind of leader; speaks well, keeps out of trouble, and I'm sure he's a professional in his training and preparation. But is that the same kind of person that thrives on-field with expectations of leadership? Can he drive the group on game-day when things aren't going their way?

Merrett has gone up a level with the weight of leadership on him, I'm not sure it's had the same impact on McGrath's game.

Agree, seems to be trying to do too much which creates issues.

I'd take him out of the leadership group entirely and just let him focus on playing for a bit. Maybe he'll come back in down the track, maybe not.

Is your typical private school prefect kind of leader; speaks well, keeps out of trouble, and I'm sure he's a professional in his training and preparation. But is that the same kind of person that thrives on-field with expectations of leadership? Can he drive the group on game-day when things aren't going their way?

Merrett has gone up a level with the weight of leadership on him, I'm not sure it's had the same impact on McGrath's game.
He's a perfect club man off field as you say, organises the training, stays out of trouble, works fairly hard. But i think you've nailed it where on game day when there's pressure on, he's not a natural game day leader that can turn things around through sheer will, skill and ability. The weight of VC/LG removed could definitely have a positive impact on his game, even if his ego is a little bruised initially.

Trade him
There wouldn’t be much value to opposition clubs. He’s not making the 22 of a competing team, a rebuilding team isn’t going to give any draft value up for a 27 year old (27 next year).

We’re stuck with him. Not sure who decided to resign him for 6 years or who thought it was a good idea.

With these type of plodders we’re going nowhere. Don’t get sucked into the PR about a tough preseason is coming, the players are hurting etc. It’s the same shit they’ve been spinning since we became Essington. Stop talking and do!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Adrian Dodoro is footballs biggest fraud, then Andrew McGrath is his Magnum Opus.

I think he would be ok in a decent backline group. The fact he needs to be the number 1 or 2 banana in that group exposes his flaws and becomes the pinup boy for all our problems..

Is he really no worse than Jed Bews? what about Blake Hardwick? Brandon Starcevich is a good small defender but McGrath could be at that level.

What I am getting at is he is being asked to do more than he can deliver. Beef up the others in the back 6 and he could improve as well

I think he would be ok in a decent backline group. The fact he needs to be the number 1 or 2 banana in that group exposes his flaws and becomes the pinup boy for all our problems..

Is he really no worse than Jed Bews? what about Blake Hardwick? Brandon Starcevich is a good small defender but McGrath could be at that level.

What I am getting at is he is being asked to do more than he can deliver. Beef up the others in the back 6 and he could improve as well

Starcevich is arguably THE form small defender in the competition. They aren't even in the same galaxy.

How does the media see him so different?

He was given such a let off by commentators all night.

He’s the leader in that backline and he’s not up to it, take the VC off him.
Because the media actually watch the totality of things, unlike so many on here.

He leads. He defends first and is the best help defender we have. He gives options running out of defence when nobody else does. People on here see the last part followed by a turnover and bitch and moan about it. He's trying to be a lockdown small and driver out of defence at the same time which doesn't work.
Starcevich is arguably THE form small defender in the competition. They aren't even in the same galaxy.
Yes they are. Starcevich doesn't have to be the main driver out of defence in his team as well. Brisbane have McKenna, Zorko and Wilmot to do that.

Actually watch defence before you talk about shit like this.

Because the media actually watch the totality of things, unlike so many on here.

He leads. He defends first and is the best help defender we have. He gives options running out of defence when nobody else does. People on here see the last part followed by a turnover and bitch and moan about it. He's trying to be a lockdown small and driver out of defence at the same time which doesn't work.

Yes they are. Starcevich doesn't have to be the main driver out of defence in his team as well. Brisbane have McKenna, Zorko and Wilmot to do that.

I watch defence, in fact that's the main thing I focused on today at the ground. McGrath being "lockdown" is the biggest con in football and I think you need to actually watch defence if you think he's anywhere near as good as Starcevich. Being drafted #1 in 2016 doesn't make him a good player.

You’re very, very wrong here. Starcevich is 10x better than McGrath, it’s not anywhere near close

I think people need to ease up on the criticisms, this is one of our leaders, when Zac retires he will be our captain, he is THE standard in this backline.

He has a 6 year contract, we wouldn't have done that if we weren't 100% sure he was going to be leading this group for a long time.

Work into it, it's gonna be like this for awhile.

I watch defence, in fact that's the main thing I focused on today at the ground. McGrath being "lockdown" is the biggest con in football and I think you need to actually watch defence if you think he's anywhere near as good as Starcevich. Being drafted #1 in 2016 doesn't make him a good player.
Where did I say that was the reason?

If you think he's not then there's honestly no point talking to you. Starcevich is a gun lockdown defender. Nobody denies that. But he also isn't the main guy providing run from the back half. He has three running defenders in McKenna, Wilmot and Zorko. We have a severely out of form Redman and... Who? It's much easier to be lockdown when you don't acrually have to worry about our lack of drive from half back.
You’re very, very wrong here. Starcevich is 10x better than McGrath, it’s not anywhere near close
No, I'm not. Starcevich is a gun. But as I've explained above, he has it much easier with guys like McKenna, Zorko and Wilmot driving it out of the back line.

I guarantee that if positions were reversed, we'd be bemoaning the comparison between the two as well.

How good, number 1 draft pick could be ok if everyone does the work

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (VC)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back