AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (VC)

Remove this Banner Ad

That is the exact type I am thinking of. Baggers was a genuine competitor and although he was struggling at the end which is what people remember he was a competent footballer for the bulk of his career. I remember opposition players in the clinches being in a world of pain because he wouldn't budge physically and body parts would be colliding. Meanwhile we see the example our vice captain sets like he did at Geelong last year opposed to Max Holmes when he simply moved out of his way and let him run onto the ball into the open goal. Last night his tackling efforts were disgraceful.
Stupidly brave Bags, loved him.

What happened to those kicks from early in the season where he was delivering sizzling passes and some of us were content with a number 1 being used on him.
Contact year… contact got awarded early.
I remember a few bagging the contract year suggestion but timing wise it’s either true or… “coincidental”

The game must look awful from this poor guy's perspective at times. Another reason to get rid of parish

I agree. If you are more than 25 meters away you may as well be in Africa.

Is that why he kept kicking it to the Lions last weekend?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Played through wrist pain for most of the year. In for surgery to clean up
So how did that effect his ability to see ? 😁

He’s better than that I think.

He can go 1:1 with the best small forwards in the comp. He’s excellent defensively when focused on that part of the game.

He’s not top draw with ball in hand. Doesn’t have great poise under pressure but he gives it a crack and tries to create.

Overall he’s a good player, not what you want from # 1 pick but the least of our issues.

That’s as a player. He’s another who has no notion of real leadership however. From the Heppell school. Should be replaced as VC, give it to Caldwell.
Agree.

He'd also be better if he had good kicks around him, but we probably have the worst disposal back six in the comp: Kelly, Heppell, McKay, Laverde plus McGrath.

Agree.

He'd also be better if he had good kicks around him, but we probably have the worst disposal back six in the comp: Kelly, Heppell, McKay, Laverde plus McGrath.
Add Ridley to that back 6 (and hopefully Reid) and it’s infinitely better from a kicking perspective.

It can turn around quickly from within the list. We do need a small who can kick - those you’ve mentioned aren’t it. People have mentioned Merrett. It could be El-Hawli.

Add Ridley to that back 6 (and hopefully Reid) and it’s infinitely better from a kicking perspective.

It can turn around quickly from within the list. We do need a small who can kick - those you’ve mentioned aren’t it. People have mentioned Merrett. It could be El-Hawli.
Yep, the need to remodel the backline is pretty clear, we need better ball users back there. No offense to the players I mentioned previously, they are/have been tough competitors for us but we can't have that many with poor disposal.

Ridley is super important to us because he can defend, intercept and has elite ball use.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (VC)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back