AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (VC)

Remove this Banner Ad

He's a good player that unfortunately instead of refining himself into an elite player has learnt to coast and repeat bad habits in our mediocre culture.

He would look much better in a side that developed him properly, ironed out his entitlement issues and had the right players to compliment his attributes within a good system.
It started with the issuance of his jumper number to sell memberships.

He's just John Noble, sure he's a former pick 1, on a pretty juicy 6 year deal, other than that, they're the same.

McGrath can lock down though. McKenna just wants to go all the time.
He can lock down when he is playing well but as I said his defensive form this year was more McKenna than some of his previous good form. Back half of this season he was very ordinary defensively. Way too much zoning off or ball watching.

Just another none competitive essendon player, downhill skier looks good when the game is on our terms goes missing drops his head when it’s time to dig in. This concept of him being much better in a better team could be said about absolutely anyone, he’s a senior player, he’s the VC, he was a number 1 draft pick, he is the one who needs to stand up set the standard and make his team mates better players, this is not some first or 2nd year player

McGrath is a better defender. McKenna is a better kick.
McGrath is sometimes a great kick. McKenna is never a great defender.
I think that sums them up.

Problem is McGrath often undoes all his defensive work with poor turnovers that result in easy goals.

Doesn’t matter how good of a defender you are if your ultimately giving up more points then you stop

Problem is McGrath often undoes all his defensive work with poor turnovers that result in easy goals.

Doesn’t matter how good of a defender you are if your ultimately giving up more points then you stop
We had a lot of our back 6 give up extremely dumb goals this year but I wouldn't think McGrath was anywhere near the worst offender. Hell, even Martin was worse than him. Those dinky kicks... yuck.

We had a lot of our back 6 give up extremely dumb goals this year but I wouldn't think McGrath was anywhere near the worst offender. Hell, even Martin was worse than him. Those dinky kicks... yuck.
Martin is 3 years younger, playing in backline for first time and isn't our VC though.
I would also argue majority of the time Martins errors came from biting off more than he could chew with an attacking kick into corridor rather than short sideways kicks or panic handballs to relieve pressure on himself like more senior players like Andy and Redman did frequently.

Just another none competitive essendon player, downhill skier looks good when the game is on our terms goes missing drops his head when it’s time to dig in. This concept of him being much better in a better team could be said about absolutely anyone, he’s a senior player, he’s the VC, he was a number 1 draft pick, he is the one who needs to stand up set the standard and make his team mates better players, this is not some first or 2nd year player

He’s a fake leader. Just rolls out a series of catch-phrases when we lose.
Should be on a sitcom. I feel like he has another level he could go to, if he could be bothered. Doubt he’ll get there though.

Martin is 3 years younger, playing in backline for first time and isn't our VC though.
I would also argue majority of the time Martins errors came from biting off more than he could chew with an attacking kick into corridor rather than short sideways kicks or panic handballs to relieve pressure on himself like more senior players like Andy and Redman did frequently.
I think this is revisionist. It doesn't really matter what role the others have, McGrath is not the worst offender by a long shot. And Martin definitely screwed up crappy little 20m kicks from a kick in that went straight to the oppo. Same with Laverde, same with McKay. McGrath is a lot more reliable than that.

I think this is revisionist. It doesn't really matter what role the others have, McGrath is not the worst offender by a long shot. And Martin definitely screwed up crappy little 20m kicks from a kick in that went straight to the oppo. Same with Laverde, same with McKay. McGrath is a lot more reliable than that.
At some point there’s a baseline of competence, being “better” then other players who also don’t meet it isn’t much of a brag

This is where we need stats.
Agreed but also don’t know how accurate they would be. Essendon’s defensive stats were skewed pretty badly by players higher up the ground hanging them out to dry

At some point there’s a baseline of competence, being “better” then other players who also don’t meet it isn’t much of a brag

Agreed but also don’t know how accurate they would be. Essendon’s defensive stats were skewed pretty badly by players higher up the ground hanging them out to dry
There's your problem then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (VC)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back