AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (VC)

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe. Seems a bit confirmation biasy though.
Most likely.
I have given him some stick in the back end of the year but it has been more for the games where he had some real brain farts with his disposal and lets face it it was not like every kick he had was a screw up. He probably had many more decent kicks but people remember the howlers.
Did not think he was great defensively in the last 8 weeks but he was good in the first 13 or so weeks.

No it really isn’t
Right inside the box comment.
He did play pretty well for most of the first 14 or so rounds. His issue this year was the few howlers as far as disposal goes and a few really poor games in the back end of the season.

It may also demonstrate how out of proportion some of he commentary on here is.
I’m thrilled with the last 20yrs of mediocrity and the club rewarding it, let’s go essington

The list should have finished with Caldwell in 4th and the rest of them told they have big 12months coming up, if they can’t get themselves fit and on the park playing good footy they are going to find themselves playing else where and probably in a country league. That is a sad and sorry top 10

Caldwell had a slow start, he was 7th after the 5th round and then 6th after the 11th. He made a bit of a run for it after that and almost caught Andy, ultimately they were split by a couple of points.

I took photos of my TV during the live stream or I’d have no idea either… dunno why they don’t publish more of it instead of leaving it open to interpretation based on minimal information.

Right inside the box comment.
He did play pretty well for most of the first 14 or so rounds. His issue this year was the few howlers as far as disposal goes and a few really poor games in the back end of the season.
I thought it was pretty poor from June onwards, again this is more to do with Caldwell somehow not having better year than McGrath. They do need to change the voting imo just because you play most games should not come into it, should be 18 best games or something etc

I thought it was pretty poor from June onwards, again this is more to do with Caldwell somehow not having better year than McGrath. They do need to change the voting imo just because you play most games should not come into it, should be 18 best games or something etc
Caldwell had a bit more opposition in the midfield to gain max votes. Not against changing the system but Jye was up against Merrett and Durham most weeks in his position as far as voting goes. McGrath was easily the best defender so he is going to be getting votes despite his games where he had disposal issues and Caldwell was not immune to some disposal issues either across the season.

McGrath was tracking as an all Australian squad member in the first half of the season.
This belongs in the delusional pearler thread. He was much better in the first half of the year than the second half (much like 2023) but tracking for AA squad? Turn it up! He was getting more run off half back but which forward was he locking down? Nearly every opposition small forward had good games against us (kicking a bag is probably 3 goals these days! 😆).

Round 1 - Moore 3 goals
Round 2 - Papley 4 goals
Round 3 - Higgins 3 goals
Round 4 - Rioli 3 goals
Round 5 - West 2 goals
Round 6 - Keays 2 goals
Round 7 - Hill 0 goals
Round 8 - Ryan 0 goals
Round 9 - Greene 2 goals
Round 10 - Stephenson 1 goal
Round 11 - Bolton 2 goals
Round 12 - Long 4 goals

3 wins
4 losses
5 draws

I’m not taking into account turnovers, poor decision making (or good decision making). It’s also irrelevant if McGrath was their direct opponent because it should be his only job.

This belongs in the delusional pearler thread. He was much better in the first half of the year than the second half (much like 2023) but tracking for AA squad? Turn it up! He was getting more run off half back but which forward was he locking down? Nearly every opposition small forward had good games against us (kicking a bag is probably 3 goals these days! 😆).

Round 1 - Moore 3 goals
Round 2 - Papley 4 goals
Round 3 - Higgins 3 goals
Round 4 - Rioli 3 goals
Round 5 - West 2 goals
Round 6 - Keays 2 goals
Round 7 - Hill 0 goals
Round 8 - Ryan 0 goals
Round 9 - Greene 2 goals
Round 10 - Stephenson 1 goal
Round 11 - Bolton 2 goals
Round 12 - Long 4 goals

3 wins
4 losses
5 draws

I’m not taking into account turnovers, poor decision making (or good decision making). It’s also irrelevant if McGrath was their direct opponent because it should be his only job.
You are dedicated . Takes some time to go back and watch all the games and note down the match ups and who was playing on who when the goals where kicked. :thumbsu:

You are dedicated . Takes some time to go back and watch all the games and note down the match ups and who was playing on who when the goals where kicked. :thumbsu:
“It’s also irrelevant if McGrath was their direct opponent because it should be his only job” in reference to being a small lockdown defender.

“It’s also irrelevant if McGrath was their direct opponent because it should be his only job” in reference to being a small lockdown defender.
You have obviously missed how often the defense rolls over these days. Hard to run up the ground and also lock down. Now I am not saying McGrath was a lock for AA but looking at the notes I keep on games when I am watching I would say he is not the guy who had these guys for all the goals. I would not be 100% right but every goal but I do know there is a very big chance McGrath may not have been the direct opponent to these guys when they kicked the goal even if he did line up on them for the next bounce. I do agree he was a fraction loose as the year went on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (VC)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back