Player Watch #1 GigaChad Warner

Remove this Banner Ad

chad.jpg

Chad Warner
When the Sydney Swans swept up Chad Warner with pick 39 at the 2019 AFL Draft, they secured a youngster with an insatiable appetite for the contest. Warner attacks the ball and opponents with aggression and is relishing calling midfield bulls Josh Kennedy and Luke Parker his teammates at the Swans. Warner impressed for Western Australia in the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships, averaging 18.2 touches (50 per cent contested), 3.2 clearances and 6.8 tackles per game. He also tallied an average of 27.1 disposals, 6.4 clearances and 7.4 tackles per match at Colts level for East Fremantle in 2019. He earned his AFL debut against Richmond in Round 6 of the 2020 season, recording eight disposals and two tackles.

Chad Warner
DOB: 19 May 2001
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #39, 2019 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Willetton (WA)/Aquinas College (WA)/East Fremantle (WAFL)

Last edited by a moderator:
This.

He loves his footy now.

Going to West Coast or Freo, he won't have the support play needed to ENABLE him.

He knows that.

I think he wants to achieve something vs maximise dollars. He can do both at Sydney at slightly less. Money is not everything. Chad looks like a driven player. Driven players strive for success. They know where they need to be to achieve that success.
Everything since his draft year supports that he is driven. He clearly is enjoying his footy at the moment. The thing none of us can know is what happens to his motivation if/when he wins a premiership. Does it want more, or does it switch to money? No-one knows, doubt he does himself until the day comes.
Until then I'm not going to sweat it for one minute.

You guys have an absolute ripper here.
I've known him since childhood & he was always one of the youngest in his class & his footy team due to WA cutoff dates for birthdays. He was always small & skinny, but fast & skilled with a surprisingly good mark for his height.
Since then he has grown & filled out & is as tough as old boots. He hurts oppo players, like his old man did, in a fair, but nasty way.
Brilliant character & will do anything for the team. Will work as hard as anybody on the track.
Seriously, I can't speak highly enough about him, & no I'm not related.
Check out his WA game against Vic Metro where he hardly got the ball, but he made sure Rowell didn't do much either.
All the best & I reckon you guys drafted as well as anybody & it's not just because my son is mates with Chad.

This! 😍

Sydney-Fremantle game will undoubtedly bring up more talk about Chad Warner’s links to the Dockers. But it should also act to Warner as a reminder of how good he has it at the Swans, and what would be waiting for him in Perth.

This.

He loves his footy now.

Going to West Coast or Freo, he won't have the support play needed to ENABLE him.

He knows that.

I think he wants to achieve something vs maximise dollars. He can do both at Sydney at slightly less. Money is not everything. Chad looks like a driven player. Driven players strive for success. They know where they need to be to achieve that success.
I agree with this perspective.
This team has the chance to do something special that they will cherish for the rest of their lives. Warner will get paid extremely well and if he is smart, he can invest that money in the Sydney real estate market. Win win.

What about we just enjoy what he's doing , this is bullshit , he's a Swan and hopefully a Premiership one !
Exactly.

All the club needs to do is put up a poster of Dawson leading out his Crows.
He has regrets for sure.
They may be small but there are some there if we as supporters are to believe that everything any AFL player wants from their career is premierships & finals.
He is still to achieve that with the Crows & it is fast disappearing in the next few years for him.

If we are to win a flag/s, then each and every player in the top pay bracket on our list needs to leave some money on table, unless this is actually what they are driven by. Should this be the case with any of them, then I don't begrudge them chasing the big pay packet. Who could?

I think these guys are all going to be part of something special in these next few years & I have no doubt that we are going to have to bleed a big money earner in order to keep a balance with the remaining guys to have another crack in the 2026, 2027, & 2028 years.

I actually can't see how we can hold them all together going forward.
Chad will give us his best in these next two years & should that happen, if he stays or goes, we'll no doubt be in the premiership frame for a few more years yet.

We'll have a hardened team going forward & naturally, some seasoned veterans like Ramps & Parker will retire & perhaps Lloyd too, leaving plenty space in the cap to keep anyone who is committed to success with this group.

They are hard to win as an interstate club, but we have the best shot at it.

I'll finish by saying nothing hurts me more than watching a bloke going around on the MCG on Grand Final day 2022, in a car rather than in the middle during a game. That bloke is Josh Kennedy. We may not have won that game with Josh out there but we wouldn't have lost by more than 30 points.

Players like McDonald, Dawson, Warner, who may leave or have left don't come close to Kennedy, when it comes to the pain of not seeing them in the red & white for me as a supporter.
They have miles to go & have achieved nothing yet, other than media publicity & super stardom.

So should any of these guys leave before any p'ship success, I can rest easy knowing that JPK, Goodsey, Jude, Jack, Macca, LRT, Hanners, Mattner, Grundy, Richards etc, etc, have left a real legacy at the club by sticking together rather than taking the money.

Exactly.

He has regrets for sure.
They may be small but there are some there if we as supporters are to believe that everything any AFL player wants from their career is premierships & finals.
He is still to achieve that with the Crows & it is fast disappearing in the next few years for him.

If we are to win a flag/s, then each and every player in the top pay bracket on our list needs to leave some money on table, unless this is actually what they are driven by. Should this be the case with any of them, then I don't begrudge them chasing the big pay packet. Who could?

I think these guys are all going to be part of something special in these next few years & I have no doubt that we are going to have to bleed a big money earner in order to keep a balance with the remaining guys to have another crack in the 2026, 2027, & 2028 years.

Chad will give us his best in these next two years & should that happen, if he stays or goes, we'll no doubt be in the premiership frame for a few more years yet.

We'll have a hardened team going forward & naturally, some seasoned veterans like Ramps & Parker will retire & perhaps Lloyd too, leaving plenty space in the cap to keep anyone who is committed to success with this group.

I'll finish by saying nothing hurts me more than watching a bloke going around on the MCG on Grand Final day 2022, in a car rather than in the middle during a game. That bloke is Josh Kennedy. We may not have won that game with Josh out there but we wouldn't have lost by more than 30 points.

Players like McDonald, Dawson, Warner, who may leave or have left don't come close to Kennedy, when it comes to the pain of not seeing them in the red & white for me as a supporter.
They have miles to go & have achieved nothing yet, other than media publicity & super stardom.

So should any of these guys leave before any p'ship success, I can rest easy knowing that JPK, Goodsey, Jude, Jack, Macca, LRT, Hanners, Mattner, Grundy, Richards etc, etc, have left a real legacy at the club by sticking together rather than taking the money.

great post, and it speaks to the spirit i believe is what sets our club apart
and i so fervently want to believe our young guns want to create their own swans history, more than the lure of money or "going home"
i think gulden very much symbolises that, rowbottom, florent and mcinerney seem to be cut from similar cloth, and almost as much for their sake as the club's, and we fans, i hope warner, mcdonald et al sign up to stay for the ride

Exactly.

He has regrets for sure.

Great post. The thing about Rowbottom, Warner and Goulden is that, as good as they are, right now, the peak of their careers is still some years away. If we hung onto all of them long term, we can realistically challenge for the next 6-7 years.

Great post. The thing about Rowbottom, Warner and Goulden is that, as good as they are, right now, the peak of their careers is still some years away. If we hung onto all of them long term, we can realistically challenge for the next 6-7 years.
Grundy is a key element in this, and the development of Green to follow on from him.
With retirements to come in the next few years if Warner and McDonald are smart they can backend their contracts to take advantage of the increases in TPP while not screwing their mates.
There's no real reason it can't work out.

Grundy is a key element in this, and the development of Green to follow on from him.
With retirements to come in the next few years if Warner and McDonald are smart they can backend their contracts to take advantage of the increases in TPP while not screwing their mates.
There's no real reason it can't work out.

yes, grundy has been a major factor, and what little i've seen of green is extremely promising
mcandrew seems to be coming along ok too
i wouldn't yet give up on ladhams maturing and growing into the role to take over from grundy while green develops
but that might not even be necessary, as grundy may go 3-4 more years, and mcandrew and/or green may be ready to step up from then

and yes, i agree on payments ... these young stars will cash in, it's a matter of whether the bigger offers from elsewhere are too tempting ... i think we all hope the lure of multiple premierships together overrides that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back