Autopsy Pipped by 1 in a thriller!

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah but that's a fair indictment on the club. I'd like to think they don't do it beyond general soreness.

Parker is 2 weeks away isn't he? Lions game first possible? Just me but if resting Heeney rather do it against Saints or North.

- edit yeah North, though could just put Mills for North and rest Heeney.

Be interesting if we rest anyone .

You mean the club that has regularly played injured players in GFs might play injured players through the season? I'm not sure it should be that big a surprise. Particularly when it comes to our star players they think we can't afford to manage. Particularly when in previous seasons Heeney has admitted to playing with pretty bad ankle injuries. Horse has already said we aren't going to manage players despite our ladder position which is just dumb to me.

No he's always carrying a injury because his body isn't up to playing a full season but we always run him into the ground. Rest him and give Parker a run, it's not like we don't have depth.

It does my head in as its like a badge of honor or something when Longmire mentions how tough he is.

im like NO thats not a GOOD THING :sweatsmile:

Do feel like we went back to 2023 and just decided to constantly bomb it in when we just needed to put the head down and hit up a lead.

You mean the club that has regularly played injured players in GFs might play injured players through the season? I'm not sure it should be that big a surprise. Particularly when it comes to our star players they think we can't afford to manage. Particularly when in previous seasons Heeney has admitted to playing with pretty bad ankle injuries. Horse has already said we aren't going to manage players despite our ladder position which is just dumb to me.

Agree with that , Grand finals we certainly have got it wrong, but I guess you roll the dice more.

But during the year playing through injuries and not just general soreness , haven't seen as much evidence we do that. Certainly playing them sore, but I am no
doctor.

Either way putting all that aside I agree if we can afford to injuries or not it
makes sense to manage players especially a Heeney, Grundy , Adams etc. Not just to help them but to ensure your depth has a run.

Agree with that , Grand finals we certainly have got it wrong, but I guess you roll the dice more.

But during the year playing through injuries and not just general soreness , haven't seen as much evidence we do that. Certainly playing them sore, but I am no
doctor.

Either way putting all that aside I agree if we can afford to injuries or not it
makes sense to manage players especially a Heeney, Grundy , Adams etc. Not just to help them but to ensure your depth has a run.

Yes, we need Ladhams, Parker, Sheldrick even getting runs in the seniors so that if something were to happen in Finals we have depth players we can confidently call on.

Yes, we need Ladhams, Parker, Sheldrick even getting runs in the seniors so that if something were to happen in Finals we have depth players we can confidently call on.

Maybe it's dumb but If had sewn top 2 up why not give say a Gulden a week off as well given his TOG. See how a Campbell went if he started in the guts.

Maybe it's dumb but If had sewn top 2 up why not give say a Gulden a week off as well given his TOG. See how a Campbell went if he started in the guts.

With someone like Gulden I think you could just sub him off late, I don't think having a week off will do much for him if he doesn't have any injuries. Warner and Heeney seem to be a bit proppy though and could benefit from a week or two off.

"He has mates from school playing at Freo"

Who cares, mate? I hear this reason all the time from Freo supporters and it's so dumb. He is literally playing at the same club as his own brother. If he leaves, it would probably be for the 1.5 million dollars you guys are rumoured to be paying him, not because his primary school friend plays there.

Most guys I went to primary school with are dickheads who I don't speak to anymore.

With someone like Gulden I think you could just sub him off late, I don't think having a week off will do much for him if he doesn't have any injuries. Warner and Heeney seem to be a bit proppy though and could benefit from a week or two off.

Yep or that. I'd just like the team as fresh as possible in September

How were they able to have so much space though? It seemed that whenever they got the ball, they were able to find a player all by himself up the ground. Simple switch kicks in their back 50 completely opened up the field and often resulted in an uncontested mark up forward. Their chaos handballs/throws out of the stoppage always seemed to find someone in acres of space. And our defenders (Melican excluded) were always 2 steps behind their forwards. It looked easy for them all day. There was so little pressure. Even in the second half, they were just waltzing it through us with disturbing ease. How does that happen? It’s hard to believe every Swan was just lazy.

How were they able to have so much space though? It seemed that whenever they got the ball, they were able to find a player all by himself up the ground. Simple switch kicks in their back 50 completely opened up the field and often resulted in an uncontested mark up forward. Their chaos handballs/throws out of the stoppage always seemed to find someone in acres of space. And our defenders (Melican excluded) were always 2 steps behind their forwards. It looked easy for them all day. There was so little pressure. Even in the second half, they were just waltzing it through us with disturbing ease. How does that happen? It’s hard to believe every Swan was just lazy.

No pressure = space

That's what makes this loss irritating. About 3 more wins will do it. Then we could have rested our entire squad. Now instead of only two wins we gotta focus on winning three more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No pressure = space

Yes, but why would we stand off and allow them to just run away from us like that? Are they just faster? Or was there some weird tactical instruction to stand off them and keep the structure no matter what?

I dunno, they made us look so average. I didn’t think we’d put in a performance like that again this year.

Last edited:
Yes, but why would we stand off them and allow them to just run away from us like that? Are they just faster? Or was there some weird tactical instruction to just stand off them and keep the structure no matter what?

I dunno, they made us look so average. I didn’t think we’d put in a performance like that again this year.
Dunno if it was just me but it seemed like we were playing a very deliberate zone defense.

That's what makes this loss irritating. About 3 more wins will do it. Then we could have rested our entire squad. Now instead of only two wins we gotta focus on winning three more.

3 more wins probably wouldn’t do it. That would mean we leave the door wide open for Carlton to run over us. We need at least 5 more to make sure of first.

"He has mates from school playing at Freo"

Who cares, mate? I hear this reason all the time from Freo supporters and it's so dumb. He is literally playing at the same club as his own brother. If he leaves, it would probably be for the 1.5 million dollars you guys are rumoured to be offering him, not because his primary school friend plays there.
Chad does his thing when the space is created for him by others. Yesterday was a good demonstration of how he goes if his mates are nullified and he has to do it all himself. In that sense, he's no Dusty, Ablett, Danger or Bont. If Freo pays 1.5mil over 5+ years for him plus a bunch of 1st round picks, they could well be having their Tim Kelly / WCE moment...........

Yes, but why would we stand off them and allow them to just run away from us like that? Are they just faster? Or was there some weird tactical instruction to just stand off them and keep the structure no matter what?

Zoned off to try and attack I guess? worked in the other matchup , we just didn't get much on our terms, Grundy got beaten and Fremantle dominated the uncontested possies.

Fremantle seemed more content to take an extra kick to go forward and not just bomb to our defence.

I guess what we did almost worked to come back,
but the pressure was certainly lower from sydney for most of the game. Looked lazy but also just looked like things weren't working. Odd effort ?l.

3 more wins probably wouldn’t do it. That would mean we leave the door wide open for Carlton to run over us. We need at least 5 more to make sure of first.

4-5. more locks up top 2

We were zoning off, defending space and hoping to force the long kick which we would either intercept or kill off to force a stoppage. However, for 3 quarters we were getting killed on the lead and losing the stoppages. It was only when we became more accountable and lifted our pressure in the 4th did we start to turn it around.

Making it clear that the biggest reason we lost lay in the midfield but:
After a Freo goal our defence gathered:
McCartin, Melican, Blakey, Florent, Campbell and Lloyd. That's 3 blokes who are poor one on one defenders. I freaked. McCartin also got done 3 times early in the game.
For mine selection was an issue. I understand with Cunningham hurt someone had to go back but McInerney would have been better than Lloyd. Roberts or Fox should have been playing instead of Campbell. Ollie missed at least 2 tackles that I saw.
Also not sure that our midfield support was up to it either.
Their smalls kicked 8 of the 15 goals, possibly their best return this season.
Food for thought.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Pipped by 1 in a thriller!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back