Player Watch #1 GigaChad Warner: 2024 All Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

chad.jpg

Chad Warner
When the Sydney Swans swept up Chad Warner with pick 39 at the 2019 AFL Draft, they secured a youngster with an insatiable appetite for the contest. Warner attacks the ball and opponents with aggression and is relishing calling midfield bulls Josh Kennedy and Luke Parker his teammates at the Swans. Warner impressed for Western Australia in the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships, averaging 18.2 touches (50 per cent contested), 3.2 clearances and 6.8 tackles per game. He also tallied an average of 27.1 disposals, 6.4 clearances and 7.4 tackles per match at Colts level for East Fremantle in 2019. He earned his AFL debut against Richmond in Round 6 of the 2020 season, recording eight disposals and two tackles.

Chad Warner
DOB: 19 May 2001
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #39, 2019 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Willetton (WA)/Aquinas College (WA)/East Fremantle (WAFL)

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's what Kinnear said about Chad's contract on Gettable:

"But what I'm led to believe is the conversations are ongoing. It's been parked at the moment for this year. We'll get through this year and then we'll continue the conversations with Chad and his manager, Luke Morabito, and go from there.

"But what we have found from this year, being able to re-sign Logan, Rowbottom, Errol et cetera, is that they're a very tight group. They're prepared to leave a little bit on the table to keep that group together to try to enjoy some success together."
Everyone but Chad?

Never said he was , at least he's trying , no wonder you have so many

He's trying?

Doesn't look like he gives a ****

I don't know why you think going on about post counts matters, I mean you have 30k
whinging about the rest of us 😂

He at least laid 8 tackles , he tried

you should support St Kilda then you can just fan boy a few players there instead

Warner was shithouse I don't care how many "tackles " he laid

you should support St Kilda then you can just fan boy a few players there instead

Warner was shithouse I don't care how many "tackles " he laid
I've waited till the next day so i could try and work out what's going wrong .
I don't need to go on every medium with childish thoughts
I blew up and deleted last night

I think Chad has become scared of getting pinned HTB under the new interpretation. He's become hesitant, looking to get rid of the ball so it's not him getting tackled. But then in the process, he gets done HTB in the softest possible ways. Someone needs to get in his ear and say "Hey mate, just take the game on again, full bore. You get done HTB no dramas. Just have a crack".

I think Chad has become scared of getting pinned HTB under the new interpretation. He's become hesitant, looking to get rid of the ball so it's not him getting tackled. But then in the process, he gets done HTB in the softest possible ways. Someone needs to get in his ear and say "Hey mate, just take the game on again, full bore. You get done HTB no dramas. Just have a crack".
He's also handballing more as he's had no room , can't be blaming him for everything , as the coaches are the ones that set up the middle and to sub Parker is just so dumb .

He's also handballing more as he's had no room , can't be blaming him for everything , as the coaches are the ones that set up the middle and to sub Parker is just so dumb .
No room for any of the mids at the moment but they way he gets done HTB is so limp. His opponent literally just hugs him gently while he puts out an uncertain fend. I'd prefer him getting done HTB while he is trying to explode out of a tackle and his opponent has to actually put their body on the line to stop him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No room for any of the mids at the moment but they way he gets done HTB is so limp. His opponent literally just hugs him gently while he puts out an uncertain fend. I'd prefer him getting done HTB while he is trying to explode out of a tackle and his opponent has to actually put their body on the line to stop him.
Yes

Warner hasn't been great in the last few weeks, but he was definitely trying yesterday.

It was a pretty dirty night for him, just one of those games where nothing goes right for you. But he kept trying and at least put in effort.

He didn't have much of an impact but gets a pass for effort imo.

71st in the comp for ground ball gets
73rd in the comp for hard ball gets
73rd in the comp for loose ball gets
78th in the comp for stoppage clearances
81st in the comp for contested possessions
84th in the comp for overall clearances
93rd in the comp for centre clearances
106th in the comp for pressure acts
117th in the comp for tackles
164th in the comp for clearances per CBA

You simply cannot have a player like this in your midfield and then be surprised when the midfield struggles.

Play him off a wing or a flank FFS.

71st in the comp for ground ball gets
73rd in the comp for hard ball gets
73rd in the comp for loose ball gets
78th in the comp for stoppage clearances
81st in the comp for contested possessions
84th in the comp for overall clearances
93rd in the comp for centre clearances
106th in the comp for pressure acts
117th in the comp for tackles
164th in the comp for clearances per CBA

You simply cannot have a player like this in your midfield and then be surprised when the midfield struggles.

Play him off a wing or a flank FFS.
I wouldnt break the bank for this bloke. Net the picks if he chasing that much money.

I wouldnt break the bank for this bloke. Net the picks if he chasing that much money.
He is a great player. He's just a very, very average midfielder.

We talk about our clearances, contested ball etc. and how it's a constant issue, and one of our three main mids is basically guaranteed to offer next to nothing in that regard.

He is a great player. He's just a very, very average midfielder.

We talk about our clearances, contested ball etc. and how it's a constant issue, and one of our three main mids is basically guaranteed to offer next to nothing in that regard.
Only 5 clearances n the 4th last night

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #1 GigaChad Warner: 2024 All Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

Back