Player Watch #1 GigaChad Warner: 2024 All Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

chad.jpg

Chad Warner
When the Sydney Swans swept up Chad Warner with pick 39 at the 2019 AFL Draft, they secured a youngster with an insatiable appetite for the contest. Warner attacks the ball and opponents with aggression and is relishing calling midfield bulls Josh Kennedy and Luke Parker his teammates at the Swans. Warner impressed for Western Australia in the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships, averaging 18.2 touches (50 per cent contested), 3.2 clearances and 6.8 tackles per game. He also tallied an average of 27.1 disposals, 6.4 clearances and 7.4 tackles per match at Colts level for East Fremantle in 2019. He earned his AFL debut against Richmond in Round 6 of the 2020 season, recording eight disposals and two tackles.

Chad Warner
DOB: 19 May 2001
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #39, 2019 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Willetton (WA)/Aquinas College (WA)/East Fremantle (WAFL)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the Warner criticism is justified. Apart from last night he's had a disappointing last month or so. When he's tried to break lines he's constantly running out of tarmac and putting teammates under pressure.

However what you can't deny is his competitiveness. With it he's able to become a game changer like he was in that 4th term. Was huge in the end, won some crucial contests and clearances. Hoping he can string together some more consistency now.

You gotta take the bad with the good with Chad. He wouldn't be the damaging player he is without taking the risks he does. His judgement will improve over time as well.

I recall Jettas last couple of years with us. There were many times when I just wanted him to take a bounce and run with the ball, but he'd play within himself and often settled for a kick instead. He could have been more damaging in those latter years if he'd chosen to.

Chad has the license, and I'm happy he uses it. He pulls off some miraculous plays. There aren't a whole heap of players that have that ability or dare, so happy for him to back himself.

You gotta take the bad with the good with Chad. He wouldn't be the damaging player he is without taking the risks he does. His judgement will improve over time as well.

I recall Jettas last couple of years with us. There were many times when I just wanted him to take a bounce and run with the ball, but he'd play within himself and often settled for a kick instead. He could have been more damaging in those latter years if he'd chosen to.

Chad has the license, and I'm happy he uses it. He pulls off some miraculous plays. There aren't a whole heap of players that have that ability or dare, so happy for him to back himself.
That's pretty much what Horse says. For mine the ideal is where the number of wrong choices is minimal and those damaging plays are maximised. Same with Lizard. Heeney and Gulden are different.

Best thing Chad did the other night wasn't the snap for goal but the crunching tackle on McCreery.

Best thing Chad did the other night wasn't the snap for goal but the crunching tackle on McCreery.
Yup, imo, it's Horse's job to continue to reinforce those defensive plays so they're rewarded and valued as a core part of his game. Coaches have as much to do with rewarding those behaviours as players have in developing them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The defensive side of his game will never be a strength, but it doesn't have to be, he just has to compete when we aren't necessarily winning the ball out of the middle. Nailed McCreery in the tackle in the last 2 minutes to stop a Collingwood burst, but also there was another passage of play a moments later where the Magpies were handballing through the corridor and he was only jogging and could have made an impact he was a bit more desperate after there was a bit of hesistation on their part.

The defensive side of his game will never be a strength, but it doesn't have to be, he just has to compete when we aren't necessarily winning the ball out of the middle. Nailed McCreery in the tackle in the last 2 minutes to stop a Collingwood burst, but also there was another passage of play a moments later where the Magpies were handballing through the corridor and he was only jogging and could have made an impact he was a bit more desperate after there was a bit of hesistation on their part.
He might've been stuffed .
That lefty footer on the boundary to Heens was something a few players in our team wouldn't be able to do

That lefty footer on the boundary to Heens was something a few players in our team wouldn't be able to do
Yeah I'm being harsh but it's literally a minute to go with the game on the line I was hoping for all-out effort.

Bit of an under the radar improvement in Chad's game this season has been his left foot.

Don't think I'd seen him kick off the left more than a handful of times before this season. Still prefers to go inside out with his right, but is putting on the left once or twice a game.

Bit of an under the radar improvement in Chad's game this season has been his left foot.

Don't think I'd seen him kick off the left more than a handful of times before this season. Still prefers to go inside out with his right, but is putting on the left once or twice a game.
It was crucial as well

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #1 GigaChad Warner: 2024 All Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

Back