Past #1: Hamish McIntosh - drafted at pick 9 in '02 ND - traded to Geelong for #36 in '12 trade period

who's the best ruckman

• D.JOLLY

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • M.CLARKE

• A.SANDILANDS

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe JYD expects big things straight up from hamish and will use him as our wild card in the early rounds. A young big fella who will dominate in the new 10m circle, probably didn't want to show all his cards. He may be the opposite though, the new circle may not suit him so until a forward vacancy comes up we might have to wait.

I went to the game and apart from the weather being bitterly cold,it was a scrappy type of game,it was red tops vs kangas stripes - big hamish wore number 1 and look an imposing figure against young kid Brad Moran (actually Brad Moran looks very athletic kind of like in the young Mckernan Bulid in 90's)
I thought Mick Firrito was very good in the guts, got a bit of the ball - ash watson for red team had a bit of it as well.
J.W Smith only played a couple of quarters but didnt look injured.
Shane Harvey kicked what i counted was 4 including a strong grab in the goal square vs Leigh Harding who played for the red team.
As for Blake Grima,he too got plenty as expected.
No injurys to add and Kris Shore played ,and seemed to be over his back injury.

That he didn't play throughout the wizard cup and now that he will be playing this week just shows that we were taking the wizard cup seriously in terms of membership and prize money. JYD wouldn't have wanted to gamble on untried players at this level in key positions unless he had to.

Firstly let me say that I would love to see Monster play this week. 2 out of 3 BOG's, a great pre-season, a high draft pick who has done his time in the magoos and he has the coaches blessing.

Also, will in time be a very marketable player.

That said, I can't see Laidley messing with the current combination as the likes of Petrie, Rocca and Thommo are no where near on their last chance.

Don't turn this into should he play or shouldn't he play as most on this board, myself included would say he should. He is that close and I am a believer in playing blokes when they're hot al la Australian Cricket team.

However, reality stipulates he won't be picked this week. Thoughts?

I think you're right so long as none of the key players have niggling injuries that would be well served by a weeks break. There might be a temptation to play H against a young Hawks side - he can't be too far away from a slot on the interchange but in saying that I can't think who he would come in to replace.

StarBoy said:
Don't turn this into should he play or shouldn't he play as most on this board, myself included would say he should. He is that close and I am a believer in playing blokes when they're hot al la Australian Cricket team.

However, reality stipulates he won't be picked this week. Thoughts?

Well in that case if he's from QLD or NSW then he's a certainty.

I agree with you, but having said that, I think laidley will look for the smallest reason to give Petrie a bit of a rest.

I thought Thompson had a great game against Collingwood. He was getting a fair bit of the ball up on the wing, which obviously isnt what we recruited him for, but it makes for an interesting taller option at the marking contests.

My thoughts in none of our tall forwards with exception of Sav (over the years, things change tho) have made a position 'their own'.

Sure some play there and do ok at times, but im talking grabbing a game by the scruff of the neck, someone to stand out and make a statement, THIS IS MY POSTION!!!

Until then, I feel everyone should be on notice and should be rotated until people do make their statement.

IMO if we need to experiment with players, structures until we getting it right. This is why no one rates atm, we need to work twice as hard for our goals.

Yes we have been winning, but we must improve, its quite clear to see. Besides if you stand still in this comp your going backwards.

Dr Who said:
My thoughts in none of our tall forwards with exception of Sav have made a position 'their own'.

Sure some play there and do ok at times, but im talking grabbing a game by the scruff of the neck, someone to stand out and make a statement, THIS IS MY POSTION!!!

Until then, I feel everyone should be on notice and will be rotated until people do make their statement.

IMO if we need to experiment with players, structures until we getting it right. This is why no one rates atm, we need to work twice as hard for our goals.

Yes we have been winning, but we must improve, its quite clear to see. Besides if you stand still in this comp your going backwards.

Agree with that. But do you think Hamish will play this week? (as opposed to should he)

The problem I have with our current tall set up forward, is that they are all, while possibly dangerous, quite easy to defend.

They all have preditcable traits.

My reason for thinking Hamish was a show was he is quite an unknown, has a bit of X factor and will be utterly unpredictable. Hawthorn's back 6 are settled and in good form. Hay will take and run of Sav until the old bloke is rooted, Croad will take and beat either Thompson or Drew and even Hodge can take a tall.

Hamish might come in a do squat, but he will throw them off somewhat.

I don't think he will play, but he can't be far off.

I thinks hes a 50% chance, always hard to say while we are winning. Its clear we need to try something tho.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Won't play this week unless we have an injury that is unknown. I think that McKernan would still be picked before Hamish at this point. H is better of playing full games at Port than minimal game time at North. I would be surprised if he played more than 5 or so games this year, especially if we remain in contention and have very few injuries.

Hotel 6 said:
Won't play this week unless we have an injury that is unknown. I think that McKernan would still be picked before Hamish at this point. H is better of playing full games at Port than minimal game time at North. I would be surprised if he played more than 5 or so games this year, especially if we remain in contention and have very few injuries.

Not sure I agree re McKernan.

If it were this week and - touch wood - Thommo went down. I reckon Hamish would play instead of Corey.

Hotel 6 said:

I tend to agree with Hotel 6 on the CORZA before BIG H based on the 'back to the wall & experience' factor that CORZA can bring back into the team. I wouldn't be keen on Petrie losing his spot coz he applies those 1 %er's that are his meal ticket for playing seniors. Does BIG H chase / have a defensive side to his game ?? I haven't seen much of him and when I have, it's been ho-humm.

We need to make pro-active changes. Laidley would be stupid to wait for the team to lose before he reads the writing on the wall. Our forward line structure is shyte!

We play with two tall forwards at any one time. We make it easy for opposition teams to shut Sav and Thompson out of the game because we have no other talls in the forward line.

If we had a third tall option it would make the number three defender accountable.

If McIntosh is getting BOG then he deserves a chance. If we fail to reward the players that are playing well then we can not expect them to maintain their good level of performances. If they are not going to get a game no matter how well they play then they might aswell not bother to try.

NorthBhoy said:
Hamish might come in a do squat

And he'll go back to the magoos knowing the pace of AFL footy, and what he has to strive for.

I know it's tough to break up a winning side, but sooner or later you've got to give the bloke a taste of the top level, and better to do it when he's got the confidence of a big VFL game behind him, like on Saturday. He needs to know the level he needs to work towards, even if it's only a game or two in the seniors before he goes back down.

Tas.
If Hamish was to be included this weekend (which I agree he should have a taste), then...

What structure would you prefer with our talls.

Drop Sansbury.

Full Back Line
Leigh Brown
Centre Half Back Line
Shannon Watt
Leigh Colbert
Ruck
David Hale
Half Forward Line
Nathan Thompson
Full Forward Line
Saverio Rocca
Hamish McIntosh
Interchange
Drew Petrie [Rotate with Hale/Thompson]

---

OR Drop Petrie

Full Back Line
Leigh Brown
Centre Half Back Line
Shannon Watt
Leigh Colbert
Ruck
David Hale
Half Forward Line
Nathan Thompson
Full Forward Line
Saverio Rocca
Interchange
Hamish McIntosh [Rotate with Hale/Thompson]

---

Note: I only used Sansbury and Petrie as examples, generally I simply ment Scenario 1: Drop a small (wether it be Sansbury, Grima, etc.) or Scenario 2: Drop a tall (Petrie or Rocca) and work from there.​

Last year McIntosh was playing well in the reserves early on, but not selected, then he got injured and we kept hearing he would've played had he not got injured. Well he's playing well again, and this year I don't think we can just ignore it. He needs to play I reckon, and Rocca would be the player I'd leave out. If he's still in the ressies come the half way part of the year, then something goes wrong, it's another year wasted. (Fingers crossed nothing goes wrong for him of course!!).

We should've played him in the Wizard Cup.......made no sense to leave him out. I wouldn't mind if Laidley didn't keep saying how desperate he was to play him!

Wels Eicke said:
Last year McIntosh was playing well in the reserves early on, but not selected, then he got injured and we kept hearing he would've played had he not got injured. Well he's playing well again, and this year I don't think we can just ignore it. He needs to play I reckon, and Rocca would be the player I'd leave out. If he's still in the ressies come the half way part of the year, then something goes wrong, it's another year wasted. (Fingers crossed nothing goes wrong for him of course!!).

We should've played him in the Wizard Cup.......made no sense to leave him out. I wouldn't mind if Laidley didn't keep saying how desperate he was to play him!
Agree with all that however I'm not too sure that Dean will drop Sav just yet. Petrie would have been my first choice to drop as I haven't seen him do anything that gives me confidence that he can pull down a big mark up forward. Having said that when he runs around on the ball he probably does just enough to keep his place even if he does get killed in the ruck duals.

The thing that Sav has is he can take say 3 marks outside 50 and turn them into goals. Petrie can't do that. It's a tough one. Also Sav is a veteran of the game and you don't just drop a top line player like that to the 2's as if it's nothing.

My guess is Dean wont drop Petrie or Rocca until it is absolutely clear that they are not contributing to the team. This could take until half way through the season and by then Hamish's good form could have gone off a bit.
Hale had to get plenty of BOG's for Port before he got in even though it was so obvious that Porter was struggling. I think Hamish may have to wait as well.

Hamish McIntosh is going to be a superstar. Laids said last week he is dying to play him but just can't find a spot with Haley doing pretty well. I don't know yet whether to drop a midfielder for him. Grima looks like the only one to make way for him, but im glad to see Blake getting a game. Can't wait to see Hamish though.
Any suggestions of who can make way for McIntosh?

Kanga20 said:
Hamish McIntosh is going to be a superstar. Laids said last week he is dying to play him but just can't find a spot with Haley doing pretty well. I don't know yet whether to drop a midfielder for him. Grima looks like the only one to make way for him, but im glad to see Blake getting a game. Can't wait to see Hamish though.
Any suggestions of who can make way for McIntosh?

The only player i see getting the cut for McIntosh is Petrie , but i can't see Dean upsetting a winning team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #1: Hamish McIntosh - drafted at pick 9 in '02 ND - traded to Geelong for #36 in '12 trade period

Back