Past #1: Hamish McIntosh - drafted at pick 9 in '02 ND - traded to Geelong for #36 in '12 trade period

who's the best ruckman

• D.JOLLY

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • M.CLARKE

• A.SANDILANDS

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This could well be Savs last year. Now is the time to put the H in and start the transition.Leave Petrie there as he will learn more about working through a form slump in the ones than being dropped to the twos, and he is part of the future.

i say drop petrie and bring in monster...

petrie just hasnt had a spark for some time now..he has a shocking kick... and while he is down, lets see what the big H can show....

benno87 said:
Tas.
If Hamish was to be included this weekend (which I agree he should have a taste), then...

What structure would you prefer with our talls.

---

Note: I only used Sansbury and Petrie as examples, generally I simply ment Scenario 1: Drop a small (wether it be Sansbury, Grima, etc.) or Scenario 2: Drop a tall (Petrie or Rocca) and work from there.

It depends, a lot depends on matchups and structure. A lot depends on where the strengths and weaknesses are in the Hawthorn lineup.

Lets face reality, if Petrie was anyone other than Petrie he wouldn't be in the team. While I say the obvious choice is McIntosh for Petrie I don't think Laidley is going to drop him for whatever reason. Form wasn't a pre-requisite for selection last year for him.

I do not expect much from McIntosh even if he does play. If he comes out and plays well I would be surprised, happy but surprised. He needs the run moreso to find out where his weak points are so he can work on them, he obviously is not finding that out at VFL level by being BOG all the time.

Assuming JYD refuses to drop Petrie then we could possibly shed one of the surplus midfielders we have in the side.

I think our midfield doesn't have the room for so many midfielders anyway. Picioane got very little game time and often spends the large majority of matches on the bench. I have doubts he will be dropped against his old side.

Firrito, Stevens and Grima also spent a lot of time on the pine. I was happy with all their games.

Harris looks shot, not sure if its true that he is suffering from OP but if it is then it he could probably be treated for the injury and have the three players mentioned above pick up the slack by playing more of a game, they could use the extra game time. That would create the free spot for McIntosh.

As to the forward structure, with his inclusion I would play:

F: Sansbury, Rocca, Grant/Harvey/Grima/etc
HF: McIntosh, Thompson, Jones

We need more marking options across the half-forward line where we seem to break down.

I would get McIntosh to play 35-40m out from goal in the pocket and lead to the 50m line. If his man goes with him it will open up the corridor for Rocca, if his man doesn't go with him then he will have a number of easy shots at goal. It will also be very difficult for the Hawks to man him up, I do not think many teams have a number 3 defender that can play on a 203cm guy that is very capable overhead.

Croad will play on Thompson, he is pretty good against the athletic types. We need to create some matchups that will cause them problems. If we go in with Sav, Thompson and Petrie as our talls then it may be another slog.

He can also be given a taste of different positions, like CHF when Thompson is rested, FF when Sav is rested.

We have the players that can carry the burden of one less midfielder in my opinion. Sansbury can play forwards or back, Makepeace can play a midfield role while Firrito, Picioane and Grima are also capable in that role.

Harris only got 8 touches against the Pies, I hope he is not suffering from OP but it would explain his inability to get into games. :(

Its only round 4 and he is trying to break into a winning side.

We are about getting to the point where Motlop, Petrie and Harris were screaming for selection and finally got their chance and took it.

There haven't been too many kids that Laidley has stuffed because he hasn't picked them so I see no real reason to worry about it.

If McIntosh is for real then its only a matter of time.

Hotel 6 said:
Won't play this week unless we have an injury that is unknown. I think that McKernan would still be picked before Hamish at this point. H is better of playing full games at Port than minimal game time at North. I would be surprised if he played more than 5 or so games this year, especially if we remain in contention and have very few injuries.

My tip is that H is next in line as far as the big fellas go. Just home from the last 20 minutes of today's training @ Arden Street, and McKernan spent the time inside the sheds on an exercise bike.

Not saying he'll get a run this week, but if any of Drew, Sav or Thommo get a spell with Port Melbourne, H will be next in line for a call up.

Ausgard said:
Its only round 4 and he is trying to break into a winning side.

<snip>

This situation with McIntosh reminds me of the situation with Ash Watson 12 months ago. Our team was flying, Watson was tearing up the VFL, but by the seasons end, people were talking about Watson getting delisted.

What people are struggling to realise is that why I agree that a winning team is a good team, we can't wait until we drop 3 in a row to recognise a problem up forward.

Now is the perfect time to make the changes to keep a winning feeling going rather than arresting a slide which will happen if the forward line can't lift. The midfield isn't exactly on fire, but I have confidence they can turn it around, I have zero confidence in Drew doing the same.

Has anyone actually seen Big H in the past couple of weeks? Unfortunately, I haven't. Has he been absolutely starring (i.e a class above the opposition) or has he just been going along well without being a standout?

I saw him in round 1 and he was nominated as one of our best but I thought he showed little interest or spirit and it was just an ok game.

If he has been starring since then, bring him in now. What team can't find a spot for an untried youngster who is proving to be way too good for the twos week in week out? If there are no injuries Sav might have to go back. Sav looked pretty awful against the Pies.

If Big H has just been ok for Port (even though named best) leave him there until he dominates a game.

Baird and Watson must also be pressing for promotion, which is good for the team.

Ausgard said:

Likewise it cant hurt to play an out of sorts forward in the 2s until they dominate and gain confidence. While McIntosh gets much need AFL experience, a win/ win.

gigs said:
i say drop petrie and bring in monster...

petrie just hasnt had a spark for some time now..he has a shocking kick... and while he is down, lets see what the big H can show....

Hey Gigsy, good to see you're back. Maybe you're on the mark here and since Drew isn't giving the fwd any potent input, then it's quite clear where the H change can be made. I expect Drew to have a big one this week as we all know he is living on the edge with senior selection and some players seem to find a get out of jail card at the last moment. Seems on par with last season's CORZA formline when he was servicable before peaking thru the roof in that epic Swans 2nd half.

I wouldn't drop Petrie just yet... He still contributes defensively and will chase, tackle and smother.

The negatives are his lack of ability to take pack marks like in 2003, and his kicking at goal. Plus he has been shocking on the left foot.

But he is still trying, and throwing him on the ball to ruck might run him in to form. Ultimately I think he's best somewhere in the backline, particularly as a spare man.

Our forward structure can look slow and predictable if Rocca and Thompson don't present, or lead wide to the pockets. That's why Motlop was so vital - the X factor someone mentioned. Grant and Jones have been our best forwards, which is a worry.

Rocca should stay until it is clear that his career is over. We were raving over him Round 1 - just leave him on the ground, because his ability to kick 3-4 goals with just a few marks outside 50 is invaluable if the opposition floods.

All he needs to do is hold on to his marks - dropped a lot lately, but is getting to the ball.

fusion said:
I wouldn't drop Petrie just yet... He still contributes defensively and will chase, tackle and smother.

But he is still trying, and throwing him on the ball to ruck might run him in to form. Ultimately I think he's best somewhere in the backline, particularly as a spare man.

Our forward structure can look slow and predictable if Rocca and Thompson don't present, or lead wide to the pockets. That's why Motlop was so vital - the X factor someone mentioned. Grant and Jones have been our best forwards, which is a worry.

Rocca should stay until it is clear that his career is over. We were raving over him Round 1 - just leave him on the ground, because his ability to kick 3-4 goals with just a few marks outside 50 is invaluable if the opposition floods.

All he needs to do is hold on to his marks - dropped a lot lately, but is getting to the ball.

agree with this

do we expect so much of our aspiring chf, unfortunately after having the best ever, the next best thing is always gonna cop criticism. i can not criticize drew as i believe his attack on the player with the ball is good, of course his kicking has not improved but his performances have not cost us games.

as for letting the big h play for the likes of dropping a rocca or thompson, no way. a solid presence up forward has helped the grants and jones get in and under for goals.

i dont feel for hamish not geting a game, i feel for the guy who gets dropped when brady comes back in.

fusion said:

Porter did that and he was eventually dropped from the team and delisted. You need a lot more than hard work and a huge heart to make it at AFL level. It will take you a long way but you still need to win in your position otherwise it is inevitable that he will be replaced with someone else that takes the initiative.

It is expected at AFL level to chase, to tackle, smother, etc. I agree, Petrie is one of our best tacklers BUT if he is in the side as a ruckman then he needs to get effective hitouts, if he is in the side as a forward then he needs to take contested marks as a tall forward and kick goals.

At the end of the day, he needs to be good at his primary role, no matter how much he excels in the secondary role of doing the 1%ers. If he was competitive as a ruckman or forward then nobody would be wondering when the axe would fall. He said he would go out and enjoy his football, he doesn't look like he is enjoying it. I feel for the kid, he wants to do well but the body is not doing what the mind wants.

The negatives are his lack of ability to take pack marks like in 2003, and his kicking at goal. Plus he has been shocking on the left foot.

His marking was exceptional in 2002/03 yet i do not expect him to take pack marks. What I do expect is for him to be able to read the play well enough to lead into the right spots, lead hard and hold on to a few contested marks and hold onto every uncontested mark. He struggles to hold onto uncontested marks and I think he has held onto a one or two contested marks in the four games.

I think the way our midfield is moving the ball they are not doing him any favours but he is dropping easy marks all over the ground. That is what bothers me the most.

We can not afford to have passengers in the team. Harding tries but is dropped, even when he has had a reasonable although not spectacular game. If trying was good enough he wouldn't be dropped. Sansbury tries, does well and gets dropped. There are no passenger spots for these players.

Petrie has been played in defense, it didn't work. There are too few players that he will matchup well against, most forwards will leave him for dead on a lead. If we have Brown, Watt and Colbert in defense there is no room for Petrie. Most teams do not have 4 good tall forwards. We only play with 2.

Rocca and Thompson lead but the midfield will not kick to them because by the time we move the ball forward our forward line is congested. We need to move the ball a lot quicker, honour the leads. I am more confident in our ability to play with a quicker ball movement with guys like Grant, Harvey, Firrito, Wells and Grima doing the bulk of the inside 50s rather than Simpson, Rawlings and Harris who in my opinion do not deliver anywhere near as good by foot.

We just need to get the gameplan around getting the ball to these players who can hit a guy with a pass and doing it a lot quicker than we have been.

I think he is our best current option at full forward but we might aswell not pick him if we are going to move forward that slowly and allow them to congest the forward line.

He needs the delivery, the ball move quickly to him and kicked to his advantage, not the worm-burners, 11ft passes and helicopter passes. We have more players around the midfield now that are capable of delivering the ball forward but the speed it is delivered at is our biggest problem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mr Reliable said:
Has anyone actually seen Big H in the past couple of weeks? Unfortunately, I haven't. Has he been absolutely starring (i.e a class above the opposition) or has he just been going along well without being a standout?

I saw him in round 1 and he was nominated as one of our best but I thought he showed little interest or spirit and it was just an ok game.

If he has been starring since then, bring him in now. What team can't find a spot for an untried youngster who is proving to be way too good for the twos week in week out? If there are no injuries Sav might have to go back. Sav looked pretty awful against the Pies.

If Big H has just been ok for Port (even though named best) leave him there until he dominates a game.

Baird and Watson must also be pressing for promotion, which is good for the team.

He's probably been the best Kangaroo player for Port Melbourne in the last few weeks. Last weeks stats: 22 possessions, 14 marks, 3 goals. 22 possessions is impressive for a guy who's 203 cm.

I do not want to mess with a winning structure, but I'm afraid that if we don't reward Hamish with a game soon, he may lose confidence and stop performing well. There is noone really that we can drop. The player that I'd nominate to drop is Sansbury but I liked his game against the pies.

Tas said:
You need a lot more than hard work and a huge heart to make it at AFL level.

Yes I agree with this. There is no way I'd just select a player because he gave 100% but was still a hack. Your example of Porter is an excellent one - he was very good defensively and dropping back last year, but was given the flick eventually.

But I think we know Drew does have underlying talent, which sets him above Porter (and others). I think he's worth persisting with for just a little longer. If he is still crap and dropping easy marks in a few weeks time I'll be calling for his head too. I'm not sure how much game time McIntosh would get... is it better for his development to play a whole game for PM (he's missed a lot of footy over 2 years) or to get 30 mins of a senior game? I don't know the answer to this.

I think the way our midfield is moving the ball they are not doing him any favours but he is dropping easy marks all over the ground. That is what bothers me the most.

Couldn't agree more. This bugs us all, as we know he can mark.

I am more confident in our ability to play with a quicker ball movement with guys like Grant, Harvey, Firrito, Wells and Grima doing the bulk of the inside 50s rather than Simpson, Rawlings and Harris who in my opinion do not deliver anywhere near as good by foot.

Good analysis of our midfield... The helicopter kicks by Simmo and co are wasteful. Hopefully a thing of the past. I agree that our "skill" players like Wells, Grant, Harvey can deliver a lot better to our forwards, or even run to 40m and kick a goal themselves.

I really hoped that McIntosh would play in the Wizard Cup... would have been a more appropriate thing, especially with large interchange benches. I admit I haven't seem him play this season... has he bulked up to withstand senior footy? (And have others seem him play, or just reading the stats...)

I'd have McIntosh come in ahead of McKernan... so I guess Drew is on notice. If he'd dropped that mark in the last quarter that he juggled, and turned the ball over to Collingwood, instead of setting up a goal I think there would be more calling for him to play for PM.

McIntosh in selection frame
12:34:38 PM Wed 20 April, 2005
Matt Burgan
Sportal for afl.com.au

Norm Smith Medallist Shannon Grant believes ruckman teammate Hamish McIntosh could make his debut for the Kangaroos this Saturday against Hawthorn at the MCG.

Speaking at Arden St on Wednesday morning before training, Grant said McIntosh, an emergency for the Roos in the past two rounds, was pushing strongly this week after showing some strong efforts for Port Melbourne in the VFL.

"'H' has been in pretty good form down at Port Melbourne in the last three or four weeks and he kicked three goals and had about 25 touches (last round) and it's not bad for a bloke who stands at 200 centremetres," Grant said.

"He's just got to bide his time, because we've got the big blokes doing their job and he's just got to keep preparing well and playing well and he'll definitely get his chance."

But when asked if McIntosh had jumped ahead of dual premiership player Corey McKernan, in terms of the next big man in line for a senior call-up, Grant said: "I think he probably would be at the moment."

Meanwhile, Grant says the club will be treating Hawthorn with the utmost respect this weekend's clash, after it broke through for its first win of the season in round four.

And in light of Hawthorn's outstanding 46-point victory over the Brisbane Lions last Saturday, Grant said 'you can't' take any AFL team lightly in this day and age.

"It's happened the last two or three weeks in games, where people wouldn't have even thought they'd be a chance and teams have just got up over the line and it just goes to show how even the competition is," Grant said before training at Arden St on Wednesday.

GrimasGirl said:
But when asked if McIntosh had jumped ahead of dual premiership player Corey McKernan, in terms of the next big man in line for a senior call-up, Grant said: "I think he probably would be at the moment.

How refreshing, a footballer that speaks his mind and doesn't tow the company line.

I'd say there is little doubt the big H is in front of Corza now.

I think if he is going to be played relatively soon, ie within the next 3 weeks then it is probably better to play him this week in a Melbourne game rather than add to the difficulty factor and making it an interstate game.

If he is not picked next week and barring injuries or shocking form I doubt he will be picked until after our SA road trip.

Other factors; in round 9, 10 and 11 we play Geelong (skilled), Brisbane (gabba) and Melbourne (manuka) so not sure how deep an end they will drop him into. My gut feeling is they wont play him in a very difficult contest for his first game.

I think the two games he would more than likely be tested in are against Hawthorn next week or Bulldogs in round 8. Otherwise I would be surprised if he appears in the first half.

As much as I would like him in this week, the staff will know when the kids are ready for football at this level and will trust in their judgement.

I really do hope they play him this week. They've been hinting at McIntosh making his debut during the pre-season and in the last couple of weeks, so if he doesn't get a chance soon, will that lead to a letdown that results in a drop in effort and form?

If they've got no intention of giving McIntosh a run, best to keep quiet and just encourage him in-house.

You would'nt have H playing in the ruck would you? He would be smashed by Spider

Mark Perica said:
You would'nt have H playing in the ruck would you? He would be smashed by Spider

Yes, but not smashed more than anyone else on the list would be. I would run him there for a while. Spider is the best in the business, why not give him an indication of where his talent should take him....?

Murray breeds them tall
23 April 2005 Herald Sun
Jordan Chong

0,1658,5001585,00.jpg

VICTORIA'S Murray region is set to unearth another player built in the image of the Murray River's famous red gums, with Kangaroos youngster Hamish McIntosh close to making his senior debut.

The 203cm, 101kg forward/ruckman, who has starred with Port Melbourne, hails from Lavington in New South Wales and was taken by the Roos at No. 9 in the 2002 national draft.

Given time to develop, the 20-year-old was on track to make the step to the AFL last year before a broken ankle ended his 2004 season.

AFL national talent identification manager Kevin Sheehan said McIntosh, like many big men, had taken time to mature.

"He's a strong, powerful mark . . . with a big, strong body. He's very smart around the goals (and) also a high-possession winner," Sheehan said.

"He was getting thereabouts last year but I think he's much better developed now."

McIntosh took 17 marks last week in a best-on-ground effort for Port Melbourne.

When he does make his debut, he will join an impressive list of big blokes to hail from the Murray Bushrangers, starting with last year's Coleman medallist Fraser Gehrig, drafted in 1993. Gehrig, who was from the Wodonga Raiders, was followed by Geelong captain Steven King (Shepparton) and Swans spearhead Barry Hall (Broadford).

Mansfield's Josh Fraser went to Collingwood and St Kilda snared Albury's Justin Koschitzke.

"Whether it's the country air, the healthy lifestyle or the farm-fresh food . . . the region continues to come up with some of the biggest players to emerge in the AFL," Sheehan said.

Good to see him getting talked about in the media. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #1: Hamish McIntosh - drafted at pick 9 in '02 ND - traded to Geelong for #36 in '12 trade period

Back