Past #1: Hamish McIntosh - drafted at pick 9 in '02 ND - traded to Geelong for #36 in '12 trade period

who's the best ruckman

• D.JOLLY

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • M.CLARKE

• A.SANDILANDS

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Darky said:
Drew's had fairly limited game time this year, including two games (Sydney, Hawthorn) where injuries restricted him to less than 20 minutes.

I'd say one game out, and at least one (possibly two) games back in the VFL is a safe ground between giving McIntosh a chance to impress, Petrie a chance to get game time, and not embarrassing Petrie with an extended run in the VFL.

I can't recall the last youngster Laidley has given huge gametime to, on debut or in his first 3-4 games, something which always gives the selectors a chance to drop the youngsetr back to the VFL.

I think Drew's been pretty decent this year, and Laidley's comment that he wouldn't "rest" Drew just to give Hamish a run, probably indicated he's happy with Drew's form this year. In the article I read he seemed very keen for Drew to get up and play against the Crows.
I think you're on the mark there Darky. Hamish may get 1 or 2 games if he is lucky. It sucks but that's how Dean does it. H will have his purple patch in the 2s then come back into the ones once he has gone cold. Ok maybe I'm a bit sarcastic but that is what they did with Hale.
I'm a little curious Darky. You say Drew has been pretty decent this year. I don't see it. As a matter of fact i think he has been terrible. I watched him against StKilda play at CHF and refuse to lead or for that matter even move to be used as a target. It was like playing 1 man short. He was injured in 2 other matches and did have a reasonable game in the ruck against Carlton i think it was where he was killed in ruck duals but manged to get a few uncontested balls out on the wing.
Basicaly he can't get near the ball when playing forward and only gets a few easy kicks when playing ruck however gets killed in ruck duals. I think his ankle injury is a blessing. I'm not expecting McIntosh to do anything special however i do believe that a change had to be made. Perhaps this means that Thompson can play most of the game at CHF and Hale can change with McIntosh off the bench.

Looking forward to seeing Hamish in the ones. I reckon he will do OK.

I also think Petrie has been pretty good this year, and has shown great versatility. He deserved to keep his spot if not injured. I doubt Hamish's output will eclipse Drew's over any length of time - but it is a massive upside if it does.

I think some times some people get a bit too excited about young guys - great to see Smith on the emergencies, hope to see Trotter and Urch hit some good VFL form - but we are 5-0 at the moment and there would not be too many players you could drop at the moment - so don't disrespect those players performances.

Shinboners said:
Congratulations to the kid on making his debut.

I'm very jealous of the Adelaide based Roo fans who will get to see his debut live. When he gets his first touch (and hopefully, first goal), give him a massive cheer on behalf of all of us Victorian Roos fans.
Will make some noise when the big 'H' gets his first touch, will first have to remove my fingers from my mouth first though.

I can't wait to hear Neil Kerley's assessment on the game tommorow Adelaide people. He knows everything (well according to KG), he's hard hitting and never misses a beat, a football encyclopedia that man is. Will give his opinion on who to match up on Longmire and Carey and who to tag Peter Bell and I'm sure whatever else he says about us, will be the opinion of a man, who sees little, and ultimately knows little.

[/QUOTE]I can't wait to hear Neil Kerley's assessment on the game tommorow Adelaide people. He knows everything (well according to KG), he's hard hitting and never misses a beat, a football encyclopedia that man is. Will give his opinion on who to match up on Longmire and Carey and who to tag Peter Bell and I'm sure whatever else he says about us, will be the opinion of a man, who sees little, and ultimately knows little.[/QUOTE]

:D hahahaha so true!!!

*go roos* :)

Darky said:
Drew's had fairly limited game time this year, including two games (Sydney, Hawthorn) where injuries restricted him to less than 20 minutes.

I'd say one game out, and at least one (possibly two) games back in the VFL is a safe ground between giving McIntosh a chance to impress, Petrie a chance to get game time, and not embarrassing Petrie with an extended run in the VFL.

Okay, so say McIntosh is kicking goals every game and is doing well do you think JYD would drop him to bring back Petrie even if he wasn't dominating at VFL level?

I can't recall the last youngster Laidley has given huge gametime to, on debut or in his first 3-4 games, something which always gives the selectors a chance to drop the youngsetr back to the VFL.

Wells got a lot of game time. I think Hale might have played a lot of games when he came in but got his nuts crunched. Not sure, most of the players that were dropped down didn't play fantastic.

I think Drew's been pretty decent this year, and Laidley's comment that he wouldn't "rest" Drew just to give Hamish a run, probably indicated he's happy with Drew's form this year. In the article I read he seemed very keen for Drew to get up and play against the Crows.

I think he has played okay, my only concern is that he is not a competitive ruckman, not a defender and not taking a lot of contested marks inside 50 so where you would play him I do not know. I am aware he played very little in two of the five games. For a guy of his size and his athletisism I am surprised his marking has gone backwards by so much. Not sure who at the club is trying to help him address his issues but it is not working so far.

I just feel frustrated because having the old Petrie would have made a massive difference to this side at a time we could really use a marking presence in the forward line. Sav and Thompson are leading forwards, they are not going to take those pack marks in a lot of traffic all that often.

There is a thread on the main board about Mcintosh and how big he is and they are saying Hale is a twig.

The North web site has some interesting stats

Hale 200cm 103kgs
McIntosh 203cm 101kgs

Mcintosh looks a lot heavier. I think Hamish must be more than 101kgs.

Do you believe these stats are correct?

I don't know if I agree with about the contested mark Tas.

I remember Drew taking most of his marks on the lead, only occasionally getting over a pack or taking a contested grab. But at his best he was confident, and ball was getting to him where he could mark it.

Thompson has been taking some good contested grabs,m particulalry overhead. He seems to drop marks that come in on his chest.

Sav is obviously better when he can get out ahead of his defender, but he can split a pack and take a grab.

I think Laidley's development of the younger guys has been good. You don't want to push younger players to hard too early. Give them a taste, reward them for good form in the two's, let them get the feel for the big time without throwing them to the wolves.

Re: SMith, yes he sounds exciting, but who would you drop from the half back flank? Sinclair is in career best form, M. Stevens is not far behind, and Makepeace is a very important cog on the backline (and a very expereinced player now).

Maybe you'd drop Picione, but he is playing as a rotating midfielder, and Smith is a half back flanker ATM.

I hope Big H takes his opportunity and makes Drew fight for his spot back. Could by the return of the 2003 Drew. I think Big H will be used to relief ruck, and given short speels in the forward line either alongside Sav or if Sav is knackered by being run out of defence by his opponent.

Hale, Urch, Grima, Harris were all given limited game time in their early game, short burst to try them out and give them a taste. More of the saame with Big H i'm predicting.

Its great to see the young players doin well and it will make us stronger cos players will have to fight hard to keep there place.Alot of the media have been sayin we are goin to have a downer but i think we will show how good we will be by winning on sat arvo.Good luck Big H hope u blitz and to Drew and Blake hope u guys keep yur heads up.

The problem with Drew this year is that he has not been creative enough. The defensive side of his game has been excellent, which is why JYD has been happy, but if he is playing up forward or in the ruck he has to create more. Forwards need good defensive skills but more importantly they need to be creative.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pez got injured in the last Wizard cup game I think.

Also, given the form of Colbert, Watt and Brown I can't see Perry getting a game unless one of these guys has a run of a few bad games or gets injured.

utility said:
The problem with Drew this year is that he has not been creative enough. The defensive side of his game has been excellent, which is why JYD has been happy, but if he is playing up forward or in the ruck he has to create more. Forwards need good defensive skills but more importantly they need to be creative.

I think we all got a little carried away with Drew and what he might become as a CHF. His strengths are so admirable. He is strong, competes hard, tackles well, chases and hits bodies. He has good hands in the air (when in half decent touch). I think his ability to be a create forward is not limited by his effort, but by his natural ability unfortunately.

He is not a good kick. His hands below his knees are ok, but not quick. He doesn;t have great vision and his opposite side is rubbish. He is pretty one dimensional.

I don;t think I have ever wanted a player to make it more than Drew, but there are some real issues there that I don't think can be covered up by pure work ethic for the rest of his career.

magoo said:
Great to see another youngster getting a game.

BTW to those who have been watching the magoos regularily, has Hamish been dominating games in the same way that petrie (of for that matter watt or hale) did before they got a regular senior call-up?

Have to admit I don’t recall Petries VFL form very well, Hale had some rippers. McIntosh however has been dominate, high possession and mark counts, goals, playing ruck and forward, very impressive.

Someone else said they doubt Hamish could match Petries output over time. My money is on H in a big way, over time (years). Lets wait and see.

Re: Smith, is going to be a star, will be better than all the mentioned HBs combined (ok perhaps not including Sinkers in this form), give him a taste when ever we can. An investment that will pay dividends for years, love the way this kid goes about it.

McIntosh had a lot of puppy fat when we got him, he has always been over 100kg. Hale was in the 80s when we got him and he has done a lot of physical development. Muscle weighs more than fat, ripped muscles weigh even more for the mass it covers. Hale has just put on a lot of muscle mass, McIntosh has just been converting his puppy fat into muscle.

Both are capable of putting much more weight on. I think McIntosh has a larger frame so will always be heavier than Hale.

Sorry to invade of the Kangaroos board but I have question regarding McIntosh.

I went to South Geelong Primary School and when I was in Grade 5 we were called into the Grade 6's class because this guy Hamish McIntosh was measured to be 180cm tall when he was 11-12 years old. It is now 8-9 years on and I was wondering if anyone on here knows the kid and whether he is the same guy?

Sammy D said:
Sorry to invade of the Kangaroos board but I have question regarding McIntosh.

I went to South Geelong Primary School and when I was in Grade 5 we were called into the Grade 6's class because this guy Hamish McIntosh was measured to be 180cm tall when he was 11-12 years old. It is now 8-9 years on and I was wondering if anyone on here knows the kid and whether he is the same guy?

From the height it sounds like it...holy moly 180 at 11??? wow

For all the talk of Moster, he looked lost out there today. Why was he played in the ruck, when from what I read on BF he is a forward KKP.??Welcome to the land of the grown ups, Hamish, I hope you can make it!

mav said:
For all the talk of Moster, he looked lost out there today. Why was he played in the ruck, when from what I read on BF he is a forward KKP.??Welcome to the land of the grown ups, Hamish, I hope you can make it!

I was at the game, and yes, he very much looked lost. But he never panicked or anything

No point dropping him, he won't learn anything otherwise.

Hale got molested, too. Biglands and Hudson combined for almost 60 hitouts, and we only got back into it when Brown went into the ruck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #1: Hamish McIntosh - drafted at pick 9 in '02 ND - traded to Geelong for #36 in '12 trade period

Back