Past #1: Jack Mahony - drafted w #34 in '17 ND - delisted end '23 - 40 NM games/17 NM goals - thx Mahns

Remove this Banner Ad

Lomas i too once wore the rose coloured glasses, I took them off and noticed we're 18th. Something has to give and yeah maybe he could fight it out with 7 others for the medical sub role.

And yes Mahony isn't our biggest concern, i do see that.
So what has to give TAO in your opinion to make us a finals team and what do we have to add being realistic not wishful thinking. Would welcome your views.

How good Weightman is at kicking goals is completley irrelevant and stupid when comparing to how Mahoney plays.

Not sure if it's already been said but he fills a role similar to McCarthy at Brisbane who wins the ball at ground level and provides defensive pressure. One is better but who are you to judge a 19 year old to a 27.

Seriously... watch the games and look at his handballs, they are elite.

Who am I describing?

- Smart
- High Footy IQ
- Relatively quick
- Lacking in height
- Has good endeavour
- Neat skills
- Good decision making
- Best suited to playing as a genuine mid but too small to play there at AFL level.

Is it…

A. Jack Mahony
or
B. Nathan Hrovat

Because to me they are pretty much exactly the same.

Mahony still has a fair bit of development left in him but I’m not sure he has enough damaging weapons at his disposal that will allow him to overcome his stature.

Leigh Adams was a massively underrated footballer. The type of player that is the glue of a team, holds the system together and enables more talented teammates to make the most of their abilities. Every team needs these players and they are massively respected within the walls of a club, if not outside it.

Jack Mahoney will be this teams version of Patch and those who can only see what he can't do as opposed to what he does do are really missing the point. And missing a great deal of how the game is played.

Who am I describing?

- Smart
- High Footy IQ
- Relatively quick
- Lacking in height
- Has good endeavour
- Neat skills
- Good decision making
- Best suited to playing as a genuine mid but too small to play there at AFL level.

Is it…

A. Jack Mahony
or
B. Nathan Hrovat

Because to me they are pretty much exactly the same.

Mahony still has a fair bit of development left in him but I’m not sure he has enough damaging weapons at his disposal that will allow him to overcome his stature.
Boomer? Mahony won't be the same player. But he is also not Hrovat. Playing his role really well at the moment.

So what has to give TAO in your opinion to make us a finals team and what do we have to add being realistic not wishful thinking. Would welcome your views.
****ing pace !!
The modern trend is to be able to run and carry. It's a very simple game. What the club wants to do is rotate as many flankers and pockets through the guts. An onslaught, unrelenting if you like.
That's the plan and whether Mahoney is part of that, time will tell. I'm no expert when it comes to drafts or positional play.

******* pace !!
The modern trend is to be able to run and carry. It's a very simple game. What the club wants to do is rotate as many flankers and pockets through the guts. An onslaught, unrelenting if you like.
That's the plan and whether Mahoney is part of that, time will tell. I'm no expert when it comes to drafts or positional play.

C’mon Old Boy, whe did that ever stop anyone here….

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont think he really needs a position per say just do what he is doing Noble is loving him. The time of players playing in their nominated position are well and truly over anyway.To answer your 2nd question a very handy player doing everything asked of him time and time again.
Well said, the game has evolved, player now are expected to play outside their comfort zone.

******* pace !!
Pace is huge but if this standing the mark rule is gonna stay then what is more important is the 45degrees 25m kick. The dogs do it great and it's what the 3peat hawks did too, we seem keen on trying to perfect it too which I think is fantastic. Mahoney runs hard to the right positions and has a great brain of knowing where his team mate will be or should be on the next chain of the play that's his value. Not everyone is breaking the agility record or the 2km time trial

Absolute shitmen, slow as a wet week, yeah he's got a great football brain. Just a pity his body cannot match that.
List clogger, not suited to the modern game.

And that's the truth, wish I was wrong but I aint.
You do realise, that when your parents named you ''The Acurate One''....they were taking the p!ss!

For someone who is ‘slow’ his maximum speed since round 1 is 32.3km/h

He his average moving speed 9.2km/h versus GC (4th), 9.1km/h versus WB (highest), 9.5km/h versus Cats (tied highest), can’t see the dockers one but he got 3rd, 9.1km/h versus Melbourne (second), 9.5km/h versus pies (third), 9.1km/h versus saints (fourth)

You can say what you want but from what I’ve seen him do and his stats he definitely isn’t slow

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You do realise, that when your parents named you ''The Acurate One''....they were taking the p!ss!

Nah man my parents gave me up and put me in an orphanage. True story that, my biological mother regrets it, my biological father was a crazy Egyptian who shot a couple of people.

So there's wrong and then there's your musings.

Oh I'll add a coupe of these for good measure ...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fair points you have made, so where is his best position and what type of player is he?
Today’s heat map would suggest high half-forward. And a score involvement every 2nd disposal including 2 GAs suggests he’s a creative one. Watching him today, the thing that stands out is fast, clean hands and excellent decision making.

He’s going to be a good player, tao.

D4CFA3F2-6DDA-4E40-90A7-69A3C03DA515.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #1: Jack Mahony - drafted w #34 in '17 ND - delisted end '23 - 40 NM games/17 NM goals - thx Mahns

Remove this Banner Ad

Back