Past #1: Jack Mahony - drafted w #34 in '17 ND - delisted end '23 - 40 NM games/17 NM goals - thx Mahns

Remove this Banner Ad

Or Leigh Adams, or Jack Higgins, or Caleb Daniel, or Jade Gresham, ...
Please stop trying to compare this bloke to any of these players.

It’s actually embarrassing if you think he has had the output of any of them.

Did you actually watch Patch play? Mahoney has not shown a 10th of the ability that Patch did over his career.

Who knows if he gets there or not, but let’s stop comparing him to players that have actually shown more at the level.

Mahony is 178.

Richmond's 2019 premiership team had Baker (173), Bolton (175), Lambert (178), Prestia (175), Rioli (179) and Short (178). Not all mids but I don't think we should play six Mahonys. Or six Goldsteins. Or six McKays.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Also note how West Coast recently have been criticised going too tall and not being able to apply pressure as a result of this.

Mahony is a role player and that's ok because every flag winning club has them.

Please stop trying to compare this bloke to any of these players.

It’s actually embarrassing if you think he has had the output of any of them.

Did you actually watch Patch play? Mahoney has not shown a 10th of the ability that Patch did over his career.

Who knows if he gets there or not, but let’s stop comparing him to players that have actually shown more at the level.
Or I could just have been saying that not all shorter players without blistering pace end up as a Nathan Hrovat. Besides which, Mahony is neither as short nor as slow as some people seem to think.

Or I could just have been saying that not all shorter players without blistering pace end up as a Nathan Hrovat. Besides which, Mahony is neither as short nor as slow as some people seem to think.
Mahony has shown about as much as Hrovat did, so let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves.

He very well might make it, but at the moment he hasn’t shown anything to say he will.

Let’s be honest here, he is probably very lucky he is at a club in development mode, because there wouldn’t be many sides that would be playing him on current form.

Mahony has shown about as much as Hrovat did, so let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves.

He very well might make it, but at the moment he hasn’t shown anything to say he will.

Let’s be honest here, he is probably very lucky he is at a club in development mode, because there wouldn’t be many sides that would be playing him on current form.

How many sides out of the other 17 wouldn’t he get a game at?

Yep, that is probably true. And also true for about half the side. He has shown glimpses and that is what you have to take when you are in development mode.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I have been very unsure about Mahoney since I first saw him play. He looked small, didn't have a top gear and struggled to kick 40m. However, you could see the footy smarts he was often referred to as having. Still, struggled to see a long career for him.

In 2021 though, he has started to change my mind and it started with the fact he did change his body in the pre season. He looks to have become a little more solid in the upper body and the arms. He hs also started to cover the ground a little better and that helps his footy smarts come to the fore.

Still has a struggle to be a good AFL player as he doesn't have a physical strength, but I am more confident than at the start of the year.

Same. Was not a fan.
But he is showing as much campaigner as the older guys and has been throwing himself at everything. I think the only way for him to reach his ceiling is develop as an inside mid.
Taylor is my new whipping boy

please compare him to when they were 19

you could say he was ahead of Patch......

1625443755338.png

Mahony has played 25 games as a 19 year old.

Patch was 23 before he'd played that many.

Mahony will need to continue finding more of the ball. He's increased his per game touches by 3 this year. He will need to go up around 6 or so next year to be tracking to Patch at the same age.

I though he was in enough of it last night in the first half but faded. Will benefit greatly from a preseason focussed on fitness, but the entire side needs this.

Won't be dropped nor should he be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mahony gets better as the game goes on...He hasnt got the pace that others have but when the game starts to slow he comes into it. He has got a very good football brain but needs to be more selfish sometimes and believe in himself...

2nd in the competition for goal assists amongst young players (or whatever metric "Rising Stars" is) - understands how to get the ball to dangerous spots/can kick to forwards well/is creative

5th for total ToG - is fit, doesn't need to go off as much as Powell/Phillips etc. Proves he runs hard, covers ground and doesn't need a rest

He runs all day and when he does he gets involved in scoring chains. Despite an apparent lack of physical strength he's also top 10 in tackles. He's an incredibly intelligent footballer who is turning in good performances every week AS A 19 YEAR OLD in the worst side in the competition. I for one would be excited to see what he would look like at 25 or 26 with an AFL body and once he has shaved his head

Was very good again yesterday and has been consistently for a month now, but let's not rewrite history.

If our injury list hadn't been so long he would and should have been dropped early this season, particularly after his first 4 or 5 games. A lot of what's working for him now wasn't then, despite the effort, which has always been there.

Credit to him and those who saw his upside early, fair play.

Was very good again yesterday and has been consistently for a month now, but let's not rewrite history.

If our injury list hadn't been so long he would and should have been dropped early this season, particularly after his first 4 or 5 games. A lot of what's working for him now wasn't then, despite the effort, which has always been there.

Credit to him and those who saw his upside early, fair play.
There is a good lesson there I think ...
“ don’t write off a kid that is 18-19 & has less than 50 games under his belt “
We have quite a few of these kids on our list with a handful of games & (some even yet to play AFL) .
Lets try to put a bit of trust & faith in our current recruitment staff. I reckon you will all agree that we would never of dreamt debuting 3 first year players & possibly a 4th soon in Ford in one year ! This would have never of happened under BScott .

I'm just sick of the double standard for a 19 year old. When Will Phillips, LDU, Tarryn, Curtis, even Larkey or Zurhaar have a bad game it's rightly pointed out that they're still young and improvement will come. Mahony never gets that same benefit of the doubt despite consistently playing his role and doing plenty of good things.

I'd go further and say even when he's had a bad day he still works harder than some of the above mentioned players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #1: Jack Mahony - drafted w #34 in '17 ND - delisted end '23 - 40 NM games/17 NM goals - thx Mahns

Remove this Banner Ad

Back