Past #1: Majak Daw [Part II] - 54 NM games/43 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for MFC '21 - retired mid-'22

Remove this Banner Ad

The fourth best key defender in the game according to Champion Data
Look, I really like CD's ratings points for the most part. They make a lot of sense and are a great help when I’m arguing with some idiot who doesn’t appreciate how good Cunners is.

But I don’t reckon they’re much good for KPDs. There are too many anomalies relative to the eye test to be trustworthy. For mids and forwards they’re like, 90% what you expect and 10% make you think. Which is good. For KPDs they’re weird. That whole list looks out of whack.

So Maj in the top 5? His manager will love that at contract time. He’s unusual for his size with his positional flexibility and loose intercepting role so it’s hard to place him. Scott and Drummond seem to be doing a good job setting him up to succeed. I’d confidently have him in the best 15 KPDs for they year in the real world.

Why the "but" mate? I'm not in denial about anything.

When he's good, I call it, when he's bad, I call it, and when he's overrated, I call it. There's no inconsistency in that.

if only Pot didn't enjoy calling the bad so much some.

Folks that can't handle level headed criticism of a "hyped" favorite tend to turn on the messenger, rather than deal with the broad facts of the matter. It's one of the more enduring stupidities of the internet.

I mean, let's be serious here, many people simply choose to ignore Majaks deficiencies as a player to suit their own prejudice, and all it leads to is the further dumbing down of this place.

the day Pot shows Mason the some level headed criticism, instead of "he maybe should have handballed it, but he did create some space for Brown to kick his 1 goal", may be the day I think Pot's criticism of Maj to be level headed.

Look, I really like CD's ratings points for the most part. They make a lot of sense and are a great help when I’m arguing with some idiot who doesn’t appreciate how good Cunners is.

But I don’t reckon they’re much good for KPDs. There are too many anomalies relative to the eye test to be trustworthy. For mids and forwards they’re like, 90% what you expect and 10% make you think. Which is good. For KPDs they’re weird. That whole list looks out of whack.

So Maj in the top 5? His manager will love that at contract time. He’s unusual for his size with his positional flexibility and loose intercepting role so it’s hard to place him. Scott and Drummond seem to be doing a good job setting him up to succeed. I’d confidently have him in the best 15 KPDs for they year in the real world.
Yeah, I agree. I just take it to mean that Maj is a very effective footballer.

He's going ok, just need to remember he has been our best forward for the past month and one of the best defenders. He also is influential in the ruck. Need to move him where we need him.

Proving a lot of people wrong including myself. Just keeps getting better. Playing with confidence and looks like a huge cog in our backhalf for years to come

How the heck does a flash drive even have an opinion on football?

Of course he's hyped, that's mainly due to his life history but it's getting harder and harder to deny he's having a strong impact on the field this year.

Watching the replay yesterday, it was the second time in as many weeks that I've heard an opposition player remark that the presence of Maj in our Backline has resulted in them having to make mid-game adjustments to the way they go inside 50.

Easy enough to dismiss the supposition of Bigfooty posters, but not so simple to disregard the first-hand comments of the blokes that are actually playing footy against him.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching the replay yesterday, it was the second time in as many weeks that I've heard an opposition player remark that the presence of Maj in our Backline has resulted in them having to make mid-game adjustments to the way they go inside 50.

Easy enough to dismiss the supposition of Bigfooty posters, but a little more difficult to disregard the first-hand comments of the blokes that are actually playing footy against him.

It is severely underrated. Clubs are very wary to go forward when he is there. Likewise they are loathe to double team Brown is Maj is there. It is a weapon but one we need to adapt to. Brisbane, like others, always adjust at half time and we rarely change ourselves. Putting Maj forward for even five minutes should give the opposition a different problem to solve, then switch him back if needed.

On Maj's confidence, he seems to be more creative when forward, probably the pressure defence brings.

I love what he is doing, but I think it's important to note that Tarrant and Thompson play an important role in allowing him to play the way he does (as with all good defenders, you are made or ruined by the guys you are playing with).

It will be fascinating to see where all three finish in the Syd respectively.

Easy enough to dismiss the supposition of Bigfooty posters, but a little more difficult to disregard the first-hand comments of the blokes that are actually playing footy against him.

good call our benches were very close together on the weekend and apparently there was a lot of chatter about getting GC team members to block his run, lead him away from the play, stand in front of him.

He is a concern for our opponents and we will need to be careful one of our best assets isn't negated.

fwiw- was also told to not ruck as we struggled somewhat when he was not in the back half. Crazy days ay?

good call our benches were very close together on the weekend and apparently there was a lot of chatter about getting GC team members to block his run, lead him away from the play, stand in front of him.

We know Maj has got them worried if they're drafting players from other teams in

I love what he is doing, but I think it's important to note that Tarrant and Thompson play an important role in allowing him to play the way he does (as with all good defenders, you are made or ruined by the guys you are playing with).

It will be fascinating to see where all three finish in the Syd respectively.

Sure, and I know you're not discounting Majak but the same also applies in reverse. They can play those important roles freeing him up because they know that more often than not he'll be the one coming over the top and saving their bacon. Team game as you rightly point out.

Sure, and I know you're not discounting Majak but the same also applies in reverse. They can play those important roles freeing him up because they know that more often than not he'll be the one coming over the top and saving their bacon. Team game as you rightly point out.
I think Taz and Scooter would be the first to agree. On their best days they have a level of freedom that only exists because they trust each other and their team in the baclkine. Getting EVW back after his recovery will be flaming fantastic too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #1: Majak Daw [Part II] - 54 NM games/43 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for MFC '21 - retired mid-'22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back