Past #1: Majak Daw [Part II] - 54 NM games/43 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for MFC '21 - retired mid-'22

Remove this Banner Ad

Maj has become so popular he has had a shop named after him in Cesky Krumlov.View attachment 581078
Nice.
My family own property there. Very beautiful part of the Czech Republic.

Incedently Majak in Czech means “Beacon” or light house.

The football illiteracy is shining in here tonight.

You're all seeming to forget that Majak only became a half decent player because Thommo & Tazz were doing all the heavy work allowing him to pick off the ball.

There's no chance Robbie moves out for Maj, as that would only expose him. Robbie is three times the defender.
I dont know who youre referring to but the team has to evolve, its a natural process. Hunter is in his swan song year and Taz isnt that far behind him.
Many have referred Maj's problem as a confidence thing, my opinion is this ......he knows now he belongs and can contribute down back. Whether you llike it or not Durdin must get serious minutes at the highest level now after the club decided to keep him on the list......Im surprised he wasnt offered in recent trade week ( in saying this it must mean the club have plans for him in future team structure now)

Yes Im a huge wrap EVW, but who supports BBB up top ?

The big question. I'd be throwing Majak up there for decent chunks of time.

Long term, Larkey looks promising.

The football illiteracy is shining in here tonight.

You're all seeming to forget that Majak only became a half decent player because Thommo & Tazz were doing all the heavy work allowing him to pick off the ball.

There's no chance Robbie moves out for Maj, as that would only expose him. Robbie is three times the defender.

I wasn’t the biggest fan of Maj but even I can see that’s a cop out snake.

Maj covered for those two in the air just as much as they covered him. Tazza in particular was labouring big time in the 2nd half of the season (due to a lower back and knee issue), Maj helped him considerably.

They are a backline unit and should be judged as such. The fact is while Majak was down there they performed better.

I wasn’t the biggest fan of Maj but even I can see that’s a cop out snake.

Maj covered for those two in the air just as much as they covered him. Tazza in particular was labouring big time in the 2nd half of the season (due to a lower back and knee issue), Maj helped him considerably.

They are a backline unit and should be judged as such. The fact is while Majak was down there they performed better.

Totally agree with you on this one rf08.

I must admit, I've always been Maj fan (see my profile pic ;)) because I was always keen to see what he could do once he got some continuity at AFL level.
Reason being that since he took up the game so late, it would be far more difficult for someone in that situation to be thrown around a lot - which he was (in, out, ruck, forward). He never had a role to try and make his own for a significant period of time and was not given the time to work through tough games/patches - he was usually dropped before he was able to work through them.

I'm really happy the club stuck with him, because he now has a role and he's playing it beautifully. He's never going to be a defender in a Tarrant-mould, but he'll make their jobs a lot easier by taking the high ball out of the equation. That's one less defensive area they have to worry about.

His improvement this year considering his development pathway has been extremely impressive to watch.

Totally agree with you on this one rf08.

I must admit, I've always been Maj fan (see my profile pic ;)) because I was always keen to see what he could do once he got some continuity at AFL level.
Reason being that since he took up the game so late, it would be far more difficult for someone in that situation to be thrown around a lot - which he was (in, out, ruck, forward). He never had a role to try and make his own for a significant period of time and was not given the time to work through tough games/patches - he was usually dropped before he was able to work through them.

I'm really happy the club stuck with him, because he now has a role and he's playing it beautifully. He's never going to be a defender in a Tarrant-mould, but he'll make their jobs a lot easier by taking the high ball out of the equation. That's one less defensive area they have to worry about.

His improvement this year considering his development pathway has been extremely impressive to watch.

I didn't realise he arrived here when he was 13 till earlier this year. I thought it was earlier than that, under 10. Most AFL players have played 50 to 100 games by then and have learned the game, made the stupid mistakes and all the rest, at a level where the only people watching are the coaches, family, teammates and the same for the opposition.

Its no wonder Maj took longer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just read Champion Data's ratings article in todays Hun, Majak rated 4th best key defender, not a bad effort :thumbsu:

Pretty impressive. Can anyone else think of a player that went from nothing, to 4th best KPD (off less than a full season) to best rated KPF :think: all in the space of 2 years?

Got a link to it muttley?

Copy paste job

Top 5s in ...
Position No.1 No.2 No.3 No.4 No.5
Key Forward Lance Franklin (Syd) Jack Riewoldt (Rich) Tom Hawkins (Geel) Jack Gunston (Haw) Tom McDonald (Melb)
Key Defender Jeremy McGovern (WCE) Harris Andrews (BL) Alex Rance (Rich) Majak Daw (NM) Jake Lever (Melb)
Ruckmen Brodie Grundy (Coll) Max Gawn (Melb) Nic Naitanui (WCE) Paddy Ryder (PtA) Ben McEvoy (Haw)

Champion Data also have our list 8th (above Hawthorn, West Coast, Port and Sydney among the usual suspects) and with the 6th best midfield - albeit 13th in defence and 11th in attack.

Copy paste job

Top 5s in ...
Key Forward Lance Franklin (Syd) Jack Riewoldt (Rich) Tom Hawkins (Geel) Jack Gunston (Haw) Tom McDonald (Melb)
Key Defender Jeremy McGovern (WCE) Harris Andrews (BL) Alex Rance (Rich) Majak Daw (NM) Jake Lever (Melb)
Ruckmen Brodie Grundy (Coll) Max Gawn (Melb) Nic Naitanui (WCE) Paddy Ryder (PtA) Ben McEvoy (Haw)

Champion Data also have our list 8th (above Hawthorn, West Coast, Port and Sydney among the usual suspects) and with the 6th best midfield - albeit 13th in defence and 11th in attack.
Richmond supporters foaming at the mouth even though Rance is so overrated.

Pretty impressive. Can anyone else think of a player that went from nothing, to 4th best KPD (off less than a full season) to best rated KPF :think: all in the space of 2 years?

I'd disagree with you there - I'd say it was 1 year. Basing that on Higgins recent comments that Daw didn't even have a full pre-season in that role and had to almost learn on the fly during JLT and early in the season. That's one aspect that has impressed me most.

But I can't think of a bigger turn around in recent times from fringe to almost first picked each week. That's just an incredible transformation.

Richmond supporters foaming at the mouth even though Rance is so overrated.

For pure effectiveness, I'd have Astbury ahead of Rance too. He's a better key position defender than Rance will ever be (see the 'reverse Coleman' and his 1-on-1 stats last year). Rance is great when he's zoning off and reading the play to rebound, but get him on a big key forward and he's very vulnerable.

I'd disagree with you there - I'd say it was 1 year. Basing that on Higgins recent comments that Daw didn't even have a full pre-season in that role and had to almost learn on the fly during JLT and early in the season. That's one aspect that has impressed me most.

But I can't think of a bigger turn around in recent times from fringe to almost first picked each week. That's just an incredible transformation.

You're missing the part about going to best KPF ;)

Copy paste job

Top 5s in ...

If we have the 4th best predicted defender in the league next year and the 13th defence in the league, you can imagine what CD thought of Tarrant and Thompson' second half of 2018 with the advanced stats, it wouldn't have been pretty.

Majak's punch away from the Footscray player while going back with the flight of the ball in the win against them was as good a defensive effort as any of the "top line" defenders in the league put in all year.

Protip - if Majak backs up this year with the same form, and we make finals (two would seem to go hand in hand) then you can rest assured they'll make him All Australian.

The narrative of it would be irresistible.

Snake_Baker

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #1: Majak Daw [Part II] - 54 NM games/43 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for MFC '21 - retired mid-'22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back