1 year wonders

Remove this Banner Ad

please explain?
Who me?

I think it was a preseason match in London between North and Carlton (may have been an exhibition) prior to the 1988 season, a bit of a scuffle developed. Clarkson came in from the side/behind and king hit Aitken who was knocked out. Aitken was never the same again. Not sure whether he heard footsteps after that or not but that is the way it went down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't know if he has been mentioned but Brett Peake. Did well a couple of years ago (polled around 13 brownlow votes) and has done donut since

Shouldn't this be reserved for when players have finished their careers, or do people here have crystal balls?

Frank Marchesani is the all time No 1 One year wonder.
Closely followed by Phillip Walsh.

I would agree with that. Was a gun in his first year at Fitzroy. Came over to Carlton and was only ever an average player.

Another one is Ross Ditchburn. Carlton Full forward of the early 80's.
Kicked 12 goals in his first game, 60+ goals in his first season. But was pretty much useless after that.

I would agree with that. Was a gun in his first year at Fitzroy. Came over to Carlton and was only ever an average player.

Another one is Ross Ditchburn. Carlton Full forward of the early 80's.
Kicked 12 goals in his first game, 60+ goals in his first season. But was pretty much useless after that.

Hard to get a kick in the VFL when you've gone back to WA.

Andrew Raines - how the **** did this bloke finish second in the rising star?

I probably would not have used the same strong language but Raines was the first guy i thought of when I saw the thread but I think Andrew Walker could possibly be the biggest one game wonders of the modern time.

I probably would not have used the same strong language but Raines was the first guy i thought of when I saw the thread but I think Andrew Walker could possibly be the biggest one game wonders of the modern time.

Common misconception because his debut was so hyped. Last year he averaged 20 disposals from 19 games and had hauls of 28, 30 and 31. He was officially accredited with 26 disposals in his first game and did not have an opponent. He was all raw potential back then. These days he can run lines, jump, nullify opponents ... more strings to his bow.

People think he only had the one good game because for his first two years he averaged 9 possessions per game and his debut stood out clearly during that time.

Remove this Banner Ad

1 year wonders

Remove this Banner Ad

Back