Player Watch #10: Angus Brayshaw – retired due to concussion (22/02). Thanks for everything, Gus.

Remove this Banner Ad

3rd concussion in last 12 months tonight.

Through no fault of Gus or Melbourne but there has to be serious questions asked about his career now, this simply can't keep happening or eventually he'll get one that he won't wake up from.

Was it a bad concussion? Sounds like the kids getting concussed when water from the shower hits him

No idea, just reporting off the news I saw on FB. Wait for the club in a day or two I guess.

If hes going back with the flight and gets collected then shit happens, but if he's just got a clip in a contest then his career is in serious trouble

Apparently a hit off the ball - hopefully it's minor.

Again will depend on the doctos advice but he's had a pretty frustrating run.

I think he should wear a helmet for his own piece of mind, even though it won't reduce the impact much.

3rd concussion in last 12 months tonight.

Through no fault of Gus or Melbourne but there has to be serious questions asked about his career now, this simply can't keep happening or eventually he'll get one that he won't wake up from.
With respect, I think this might be one for the doctors and the people who actually know his situation and the long-term risks.

It is a huge worry.. research and anecdotal evidence shows time and again that the more concussions you get, the more susceptible to further concussions you become, even for hits which would be sub-concussive to others. Especially concerning is multiple concussions within a short timeframe such as his 2 in 3 weeks last year, which can lead to exponential and long lasting effects.
Sadly for him their is no way to avoid further concussions at this point while playing football. Helmets help with superficial injuries but offer no protection whatsoever for concussions. The only treatment is time out of the game, and for Gus, that may be a long time.

we'll wait and see what the medicos from the club say but I suspect the timeframe for recovery may be indefinite

It is a huge worry.. research and anecdotal evidence shows time and again that the more concussions you get, the more susceptible to further concussions you become, even for hits which would be sub-concussive to others. Especially concerning is multiple concussions within a short timeframe such as his 2 in 3 weeks last year, which can lead to exponential and long lasting effects.
Sadly for him their is no way to avoid further concussions at this point while playing football. Helmets help with superficial injuries but offer no protection whatsoever for concussions. The only treatment is time out of the game, and for Gus, that may be a long time.

we'll wait and see what the medicos from the club say but I suspect the timeframe for recovery may be indefinite
Heritier shed some light on the potential for clubs to expose themselves to litigation for health and safety protocols regarding player health. These organisations cannot afford the future risk involved with failing to provide a safe workplace. With the run Gus has had regarding head injuries I anticipate a lengthy rest. Demon curse strikes again.

Heritier shed some light on the potential for clubs to expose themselves to litigation for health and safety protocols regarding player health. These organisations cannot afford the future risk involved with failing to provide a safe workplace. With the run Gus has had regarding head injuries I anticipate a lengthy rest. Demon curse strikes again.

Except Lumumba wanted to sue us for not playing him.

Shit news. Can you guys look into some kind of concussion proof helmet? Then make another bigger one for boofhead McCartin as well? Hopefully they can figure something out.

I distinctly remember Jordan Lewis getting several brutal knockouts/concussions at the start of his career too, and he's come good. Hopefully it's just an unlucky patch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From memory Dangerfield had had at least 6 concussions at his time with the Crows. That's all I've got, Brayshaw's head just might be too big for an inside mid. Wouldn't mind seeing him off half back if he gets back in the seniors at some point.

From memory Dangerfield had had at least 6 concussions at his time with the Crows. That's all I've got, Brayshaw's head just might be too big for an inside mid. Wouldn't mind seeing him off half back if he gets back in the seniors at some point.
Reckon he could be really useful as a winger

I fear he goes the way of Trengove. Not looking good.
Terrible comparison. Trengove had a chronic injury which affected his physical ability to play the game and hence his form. Brayshaw is already out of form whilst simultaneously having an injury concern which isn't negatively impacting his game but might prove to be a barrier to his ability to play at all. It's hysterical to make a comparison to Trengove

Terrible comparison. Trengove had a chronic injury which affected his physical ability to play the game and hence his form. Brayshaw is already out of form whilst simultaneously having an injury concern which isn't negatively impacting his game but might prove to be a barrier to his ability to play at all. It's hysterical to make a comparison to Trengove

Maybe, still, the return on investment for the number 3 pick is looking shaky. Have to be kidding yourself to think otherwise.

He was cleared to play then refused to play on the grounds of seeking independent medical advice and clearance.
What are you talking about?
Yes, but he was suing us claiming that we deliberately didn't play him to avoiding activating another year on his contract, not about any concussion issues.

Yes, it really was as absurd as it sounded.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #10: Angus Brayshaw – retired due to concussion (22/02). Thanks for everything, Gus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back