Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

hater-300x258.jpg

No wonder RB had a running battle with you, you're a clown.

1. Of course you were too short-sighted to see that JZ was a potential superstar and ignorantly got stuck into him;
2. Of course you're too stupid to see that a young fella recruited a year after JZ will perhaps play like JZ did a year ago, when the clowns were getting stuck into him (yet four months later proclaiming their love).
3. Of course JZ improved out of sight as an AFL footballer, as all the good judges knew he would. It was only the ignorant clowns that couldn't see it.
4. Stunningly, some of those same clowns can't see the blatantly obvious parallel between JZ and Cunners - a year apart - and are making the same boring criticisms.
5. Of course I played the game, princess, as I'm sure you did. However, it's not particularly relevant to the ability to understand that young players take a few seasons to develop into great players. Not many will, but some of us can pick it before it happens based on how the young players go about it (even if some of their games are "terrible"). If your judgement on the field was as bad as it is off it, I would have loved to have played on you :thumbsu:

You might be right (and I hope you are!!), but you may be wrong. Either way, Ben has not shown anything like the natural ability that JZ did, and has had FAR more opportunites without the terrible injury setbacks JZ did.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, these discussions shouldn't get personal! Only clouds the topic :thumbsu:

Do you disagree with my opinion of the player he will become Tef?

Do you play him now or not?

Careful BTron, or you'll get labeled a hater.

I have no problem with "haters", if they are backed up by intelligent analysis. At least they aren't fence sitters.

No wonder RB had a running battle with you, you're a clown.

1. Of course you were too short-sighted to see that JZ was a potential superstar and ignorantly got stuck into him;
2. Of course you're too stupid to see that a young fella recruited a year after JZ will perhaps play like JZ did a year ago, when the clowns were getting stuck into him (yet four months later proclaiming their love).
3. Of course JZ improved out of sight as an AFL footballer, as all the good judges knew he would. It was only the ignorant clowns that couldn't see it.
4. Stunningly, some of those same clowns can't see the blatantly obvious parallel between JZ and Cunners - a year apart - and are making the same boring criticisms.
5. Of course I played the game, princess, as I'm sure you did. However, it's not particularly relevant to the ability to understand that young players take a few seasons to develop into great players. Not many will, but some of us can pick it before it happens based on how the young players go about it (even if some of their games are "terrible"). If your judgement on the field was as bad as it is off it, I would have loved to have played on you :thumbsu:

1. In hindsight you are a champion aren't you? As stated, JZ did not play well so I guess I can have an opinion on that but I didn't think he couldn't make it, just needed some work so he could and he did well to get his fitness up and become the player that we knew he could be.
2.Not comparing JZ to Cunners.JZ had fitness issues which resulted in poor execution of his foot skills but with Cunners I see him having a problem with his AWARENESS. Hopefully he can put that to rest of the next few years.
3.All good judges like you? Give me a break. You state the obvious time and time again and then gang up on people for expressing their views.
4.Blatantly obvious parallel between JZ and Cunners? They are different in body size for one and JZ came good after 4 months which speaks volumes of the man that he is now.Cunners AGAIN should be very good but right now he needs to work on a few things. I am not saying he is not going to make it but right NOW he needs to get to the speed and pace of AFL footy.
5.Little league games before a VFL game when you were nine do not count for playing experience champ.

Also, I have met RB and we did have our differences but the love for him now is bordering on a man crush.

Do you play him now or not?.

yeah, I'd play him for sure. That said he is not beyond criticism and is not the finished article. That he isn't the finished article should also not exclude him from criticism.

1. In hindsight you are a champion aren't you? As stated, JZ did not play well so I guess I can have an opinion on that but I didn't think he couldn't make it, just needed some work so he could and he did well to get his fitness up and become the player that we knew he could be.
2.Not comparing JZ to Cunners.JZ had fitness issues which resulted in poor execution of his foot skills but with Cunners I see him having a problem with his AWARENESS. Hopefully he can put that to rest of the next few years.
3.All good judges like you? Give me a break. You state the obvious time and time again and then gang up on people for expressing their views.
4.Blatantly obvious parallel between JZ and Cunners? They are different in body size for one and JZ came good after 4 months which speaks volumes of the man that he is now.Cunners AGAIN should be very good but right now he needs to work on a few things. I am not saying he is not going to make it but right NOW he needs to get to the speed and pace of AFL footy.

I agree for sure.

The mere fact JZ comparisons keeps being brought into these discussions is concenring - do NMFC fans know that little about the game to realise their body size, natural ability, and footy qualities are different?

The same optimistic types MUST think Watts will be the next Hird....I mean, he must be? He was no 1 pick, can run all day, great size for AFL.......and all it takes is time to become one of the best players, doesn't it? :confused:

yeah, I'd play him for sure. That said he is not beyond criticism and is not the finished article. That he isn't the finished article should also not exclude him from criticism.

It does exclude him from having to endure hysterical nonsense such as statistical pass marks.

It does exclude him from having to endure hysterical nonsense such as statistical pass marks.

Hysterical negativity is certainly not warranted but neither is denying that weaknesses currently exist. It's easy to go too far both ways when voicing opinions. He is coming along well considering the obstacles he has had to endure and he has work to do to reach his potential.

The infamous North W.A. posse.

wldwstA.gif

I'm pretty sure that's scottywiper on the far right. The keen vigilant eye and distinguished moustache is a dead giveaway.

The flambouyant Kimbo is pictured direct centre.

That's obviously spurs, second from the left, with the rifle pointed at the inner scrotum.

Bahaha.. oh man.

This thread is a disgrace.

I suppose fairly assessing NMFC recruits is too much for one-eyed fans.

They will all end up being the next Carey, Schimmelbusch and Archer.....how does that sound?

ps: Why do we miss the finals, and get smashed by the top sides, if all our players are all such top quality?

There seems to be a whole lot of shit being thrown around in this thread.

His first half was very average.

To his credit he lifted and played very well in the second half, including a very well executed set shot.

Hopefully he will come good, but it isn't a certainty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree for sure.

The mere fact JZ comparisons keeps being brought into these discussions is concenring - do NMFC fans know that little about the game to realise their body size, natural ability, and footy qualities are different?

The same optimistic types MUST think Watts will be the next Hird....I mean, he must be? He was no 1 pick, can run all day, great size for AFL.......and all it takes is time to become one of the best players, doesn't it? :confused:

Way to miss the point, dude.

Like many others here, I was talking about how they are tracking at similar points in their careers with similar early injury-related issues. Sort of relevant, don't you think? Who said a thing about body shapes, etc? How could you possibly draw that conclusion?

The Watts v Hird analogy is just ridiculous. Again, how could you possibly draw that conclusion?

What was your previous username, Saintly one? For someone who theoretically joined only in the past 10 days, you've sure had plenty to say.

What was your previous username, Saintly one? For someone who theoretically joined only in the past 10 days, you've sure had plenty to say.

Virtually all of it negative.

The infamous North W.A. posse.

wldwstA.gif

I'm pretty sure that's scottywiper on the far right. The keen vigilant eye and distinguished moustache is a dead giveaway.

The flambouyant Kimbo is pictured direct centre.

That's obviously spurs, second from the left, with the rifle pointed at the inner scrotum.

:D:D:thumbsu:

I suppose fairly assessing NMFC recruits is too much for one-eyed fans.

They will all end up being the next Carey, Schimmelbusch and Archer.....how does that sound?

ps: Why do we miss the finals, and get smashed by the top sides, if all our players are all such top quality?

That's the thing, the assessment has been done. Now everyone like yourself is just taking pot shots. This thread shouldn't be 18 pages long!

Personally I do think that Ben will be a very bloody good midfielder with his strengths being his ability to extract the ball and release his team mates and his ability to apply great physical pressure. He will also have great evasive qualities in close. I mentioned late last year that he will be an awesome 40-50 meter player with great ability to win the ball and execute in that radius.

That said I think, based upon watching every game he has played, that he struggles to make good decisions when he has time and multiple options. That leads me to believe that he has not yet full adapted to the pace of the game when the ball is in quick movement in space. Basti is a natural in this area, Cunners just isn't. I do think it is a matter of time until he clicks but I do not deny my belief that he is not there yet.

This sums it up perfectly, will mature into a gun mid, only a matter of time, but at this stage gets pinged for holding the ball far too often.

^Read that^

Thanks for this, I hadnt read that TBH.........great support from Wellsy thats fine. But Cunnington isn't basing his game on Wells´s style of play. Cunnington should be basing his game on a "Greg Williams/Sam Mitchell" type of player. This is the point I was trying to put across. Nearest thing we have at the moment is Swallow.

I'll see you in 2 years Tron.

I think we´ll all know the answer by the end of the season to be honest Tef. He´s played 41 games now, and like what Dunstall said on Insider last night kids get to about 50 games and then click.......theyre ready to go. If scotty continues to play him.......( and if Cunnington survives the some of the harsh critics here) he´ll be at 60 odd games. I think what most of us wants here from all of our younger players is a decent level of consistency. Jack Zeibell did start to produce this in the second half of last season. Hopefully Cunners follows suit.

His first half was very average.

To his credit he lifted and played very well in the second half, including a very well executed set shot.

Hopefully he will come good, but it isn't a certainty.

Exactly. And don't think there aren't people at the club having these same discussions.

Maybe a freshen up outside the "engine room" might do Cunnington some good? Plenty of the best midfielders (eg Gary Jnr, Swan etc) played many games elsewhere first so they weren't under pressure all the time.

Releasing him for a while, such as a running back, out on a wing etc, might help him? We might need him in the middle without too many other options though.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

Back