Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

Imagine how advanced he'll be by the time he racks up 60-70 games? Some of his toughest opponents of today will be in the footy retirement home by then too.

He's coming along very well, and was always going to do so by getting more and more games at AFL level (and one completed preseason without injury interruption).

Strength overhead is that extra string to his bow. That Bartel comparison is really apt and one that I remember making way back when. Just a similar size, shape and skillset. Both are not necessarily natural accumulators either. Will be good to see him develop and is still a good couple of years away from reaching his best IMO.

I'm claiming the Bartel comparison.

Jimmy had an underwhelming first two years as well.

Did Bartel have a preseason?

Chalk Ben up for 2 Norm Smith's then...

Did Bartel have a preseason?

Chalk Ben up for 2 Norm Smith's then...

Ben is going to be a very good player, but talk of comparing to Bartel is a bit over the top. Bartlel is an out an out champion and stood up on the big stage. This is not easy to do and we shouldn't under play what Jimmy has achieved. If I was to say Cunnington was going to win 2 Norm Smiths, 3 premierships and a brownlow medal I couldn't do so with a straight look on my face. I like the Anthony Stevens comparison though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ben is going to be a very good player, but talk of comparing to Bartel is a bit over the top. Bartlel is an out an out champion and stood up on the big stage. This is not easy to do and we shouldn't under play what Jimmy has achieved. If I was to say Cunnington was going to win 2 Norm Smiths, 3 premierships and a brownlow medal I couldn't do so with a straight look on my face. I like the Anthony Stevens comparison though.

So we cant compare how two players play the game i.e their style of play if one of them has won a few awards? makes sense...

So we cant compare how two players play the game i.e their style of play if one of them has won a few awards? makes sense...

I don't know how many games Ben has played but I have seen Jimmy Bartel kick atleat 25 goals in his career from outside 50 metres. I can't recall Ben doing that yet even though it wouldn't surprise me if it has happened once before. Just don't think there that similar. Jimmy also has very very good hand and foot disposal.

I like the Anthony Stevens comparison though.

The serious side to the Bartel comparison is in their playing style and abilities at a similar age (particularly midfield going forward and being strong marks for their size), and both being G-Town Falcons drafted with a huge reputation for their toughness in the contest.

If he ends up replicating Stevo's career though, I'm sure we'll be elated to have another dual premiership winning player, club captain, All Australian and two time B&F winner when all's said and done.

I don't know how many games Ben has played but I have seen Jimmy Bartel kick atleat 25 goals in his career from outside 50 metres. I can't recall Ben doing that yet even though it wouldn't surprise me if it has happened once before. Just don't think there that similar. Jimmy also has very very good hand and foot disposal.

Now that you mention it Ben 10 sounds like a massive dud. :rolleyes:

How can he have not kicked at least 25 outside 50 goals in 40 games.

And when Bartel had only played 40 games he wasn't an AA, Norm Smith medalist, Brownlow medalist or 3 time premiership player.

Ben Cunnington by hand is very very good also and his kicking is also good.

I don't think Bartel's disposal is in a different stratosphere to a lot of other good players around at the moment.

I've always kept the faith with Ben. Just a natural footballer.

Had the pleasure of coaching against him as a junior and is just a pure footballer. Kicked 10 after half time on debut in a major league as a 15 year old. There is a lot of potential left to exploit there.

No, it simply highlights a lack of football knowledge. Particularly in the area that pertains to young footballers.

Certain folks around here would do their credibilities a large favor in future if they whined less, developed a better understanding of junior footballers and combined that with a little more patience.

Wait for it.....AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......oohh, coming from OS that's a classic. Whew, that feels better, I needed a good belly laugh.

On BC. I will put my hand up as someone has had serious doubts about his ability in the past, especially considering his high draft pick. I've been told by my bro not to be so hard on him and I can say with happiness that I was wrong. I still have serious concerns with his foot skills, but his hardness and hands have been great. Appears he's improved his running also and what's really suprised me this year has been his marking -very good.

P.S. I was never a hater - I don't hate anyone who wears the royal blue and white!

So it would seem those aboard the good ship SS Cunners Just Needs Games To Get Match Fit boat - Captain ****ing Me - would be vindicated then?

Need another big game from him on Sunday.Great to see him playing well and with jack in the middle swell watch out.Go Roos.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

Back