Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

Jordan Lewis mk II.

Will be invaluable when he's older, he will never get the tag, and will burn teams for it.

I like this comparison.

For the people wondering where Cunners will fit once Ziebs is back, there will always be a position available for blokes that have an exquisite feel for the game. Lewis' defensive forward job on Saturday as one example.

He isn't slow in and around contests by any means when he is fighting for the ball and I quite like the fact that he is ponderous with the ball, why would he rush and waste a possession when he has hands footballers dream of? Experience and a few pre seasons, that is all this kid is missing from being a gun.

He will become one of those players you don't have to worry about not performing going into a big final.

Cunners main role is to do things that often cannot be measured in statistical terms.

Watching the replay, he's been very good in the first quarter and a half. Work around the stoppages is excellent

Swallow was also playing in the VFL at the same age.:rolleyes:

Cunners is a beacon for highlighting clueless football judges. 80% of the posters on this board wouldn't get a job selling peanuts at a TAC cup match, much less get a gig as junior talent spotters.

Indeed.

I think back to Boomer and Rawlings for instance coming through in that era of the 90's. They had to earn their stripes in the VFL.

For this midfield there is no apprenticeship.

Cunners main role is to do things that often cannot be measured in statistical terms.
I agree entirely. Yet oddly people are criticising him this week even though statistically he had a good game!
I think it says alot about how good our side is becoming when our whipping boys are macmillan and cunnington, who i believe are both very capable at AFL level and are improving
Hadn't thought of it that way, but yeah good point.

I am on record saying he's our best talent since Carey. Tonight he was subliminal.

He monstered it tonight, I don't know what he does but time seems to slow down when he has the ball, someone coming at him and that little shuffle of the feet to dodge while never taking his eyes off the target. Brilliant to watch tonight

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Inevitable, and I am just delighted for him.

Going to be a super, super footballer for our club.

He monstered it tonight, I don't know what he does but time seems to slow down when he has the ball, someone coming at him and that little shuffle of the feet to dodge while never taking his eyes off the target. Brilliant to watch tonight

He doesn't give the first and most obvious option anymore. Has worked out that players will run past him following their opponent, giving him more time.

Looks so much better because of it. Still cops some bullshit HTB calls but that will disappear if he becomes a better player as umpires always protect the best players.

Give credit to BS, too. His dropping has been the making of him.

Will never look back now.

His tank will only build and build, and he's only going to get stronger.

He has the confidence now.

Has the cleanest hands in the side, never fumbles.

Look out.

Awesome game.

Said it in the game thread, but losing Ziebell and bringing Cunners back to play in the middle has set us up for the finals. Now we just need to make sure Wellsy gets fit and we are going to scare a few teams methinks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

Back