Player Watch #10: Colby McKercher - R9 AFL RS nom - progressing slowly in return to AFL after bone stress injury in foot

Remove this Banner Ad

His performance in the last VFL game didn’t demand a call up. Got plenty of it, but the composure fell away as the game went on. He looked pretty cooked by the q4. Obviously there’s an elite player there, but I’d rather he’s cherry ripe and oozing confidence when he returns.

He had 31 disposals in 2 quarters of game time.

Lynch had him in the Coaches votes

Tough judge.

He had 31 disposals in 2 quarters of game time.

Lynch had him in the Coaches votes

Tough judge.
3 quarters.

He dazzled with his run and carry, his toolset was clearly on another level, but I don’t hate the idea of giving him another week to build match fitness.

geez we're quick to give our young players a whack

lets focus on what they're really good at, rather than the fact that he didn't quite pinpoint a 40 metre pass on his non preferred foot running full tilt
he's had a really good start apart from this injury. Club would be very happy with him.
Especially feet injuries, can be very complex,

Harry has never played in the VFL.

But I’d like you to cast your mind back to every single top prospect we have had in the last 25 years.

Wells, Cunners, Swallow, JZ, Hansen, McIntosh, Tarrant, McDonald, McKay, Durdin, LDU, Simpkin, Thomas, Phillips, Powell, Horne-Francis, Goater, Wardlaw, Duursma.

All of them played VFL football at some point in their early careers.

Not one them has made it look as easy at that level as this guy. In fact, a good bunch of them took some time to even get going at VFL level.

He’s averaging about 12-15 disposals a quarter. Way too good for the level already and he’s not exactly built like Hulk Hogan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can I just reaffirm that McKercher is not going to be a winger for us long term lmao. Keep reading it on here. The elite spread out of our centre square we’ve been lacking for decades - we still don’t have it in the seniors at the moment. None of LDU, Simpkin, Wardlaw, Powell, Sheezel, Phillips are elite at it. Sheez probably closest

Can I just reaffirm that McKercher is not going to be a winger for us long term lmao. Keep reading it on here. The elite spread out of our centre square we’ve been lacking for decades - we still don’t have it in the seniors at the moment. None of LDU, Simpkin, Wardlaw, Powell, Sheezel, Phillips are elite at it. Sheez probably closest

I've been pluralised!

Agree mate, McKerch is going to be incredible bursting out of the middle hitting up those Boomer 30m darts and having the odd long bomb at goal

Mate, I agree. Long term, in 2-3 years, Kerch will be playing in the centre.

But to say we have no elite spread from stoppage with LDU and Wardlaw is nonsense.

Mate, I agree. Long term, in 2-3 years, Kerch will be playing in the centre.

But to say we have no elite spread from stoppage with LDU and Wardlaw is nonsense.
They are both extreme ‘burst’ players from stoppage - there is a difference. Fwiw - that is more important. However, Kerch is a different beast. He will be involved in chains 2/3 times - eating uncontested footy. Handball recieves, give it off, get it back. He is the only one of that group that can break a line as a receiver and not the primary ball winner.

I’ll demonstrate my point below:

LDU and George turn contested footy into a breakaway. It’s game changing - but it’s a different skill set. They get the ball in tight spaces with people around them and break away from them through sheer power

Kerch turns an uncontested mark into a line break by running past people - there is a nuance.

You need both to win a flag. Just wait and see what that midfield group does when he’s in there 🙌

LDU and GW can't break from stoppage?

Err right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back