Opinion 10 most over rated current players

Remove this Banner Ad

Those Lions sides made Hird look ordinary a few times, too.

And yet Judd ripped them apart, time after time.
It's interesting how players have teams that they really perform well against and others that they play poorly against.
Judd couldn't, and still can't, seem to play consistently well against the Crows or the Power.
It's a bit different regarding backs or forwards. What you have against Brisbane in that period is a dominant midfield that made it almost impossible for key forwards to be contained.
Even in '05-'06 the Eagles forward line had the potency to win games despite the fact that the line-up comprised of Lynch, Hansen, Staker and Gardiner.
Regarding Scarlett whilst he has been consistently impressive there were a few years in there where other players (Rutten and Glass) were better than him.
Both fell away at times. Yet, at this present time, both are better than him.

10. Waite
9. Dangerfield
8. Dahlhaus
7. Glass
6. Maxwell
5. Sam Reid
4. J. Brown
3. Stanton
2. Rioli
1. Judd

Some of these confuse me.
Dangerfield and Stanton seem to be rated on their 2012 output.
How would you rank them?
Judd has faced a lot of scrutiny and has only really had one good game this year.
But this is well-documented.
Waite has been injury prone and when playing fit he is somewhere between average and good.
Again, most people know this.
Rioli has as many critics as he does supporters.
Not because people dislike him, just because people know he rarely plays a dominant game.
Can you elaborate upon Maxwell? He is your captain after all.
Glass is perhaps overrated in the sense that Mackenzie usually takes the key forward.
Brown is obviously crippled and Reid and Dahlhaus are inconsistent.
I'm not knocking your list.
I'm just interested as to what people have said to make you think that these people are overrated.

Some of these confuse me.
Dangerfield and Stanton seem to be rated on their 2012 output.
How would you rank them?
Judd has faced a lot of scrutiny and has only really had one good game this year.
But this is well-documented.
Waite has been injury prone and when playing fit he is somewhere between average and good.
Again, most people know this.
Rioli has as many critics as he does supporters.
Not because people dislike him, just because people know he rarely plays a dominant game.
Can you elaborate upon Maxwell? He is your captain after all.
Glass is perhaps overrated in the sense that Mackenzie usually takes the key forward.
Brown is obviously crippled and Reid and Dahlhaus are inconsistent.
I'm not knocking your list.
I'm just interested as to what people have said to make you think that these people are overrated.

My list is not based on BigFooty opinion, which is often more sensible than that of the media and average football supporter.

I'll edit this post with reasons for individual players in a few minutes when I get home from work.

Regarding Scarlett whilst he has been consistently impressive there were a few years in there where other players (Rutten and Glass) were better than him.
Both fell away at times. Yet, at this present time, both are better than him.

Stats can sometimes be misleading if not in context but they usually paint a decent decent picture for defenders in particular as they are the ones who often rotate continually in order to keep the forwards in check.
Scarlett, Lonergan, Taylor, Mackie have all had to switch at different periods throughout matches this season as has Glass, McGinnity, MacKenzie & Schofield.
But interesting to see those three players statistics at the halfway mark of the season.

Rutten: 11 games - 10 disposals (4 contested), 86% disposal efficiency, 4 marks (0.5 contested), 1½ defensive 50 rebounds, 0.5 free kicks against, 1 tackle, 2½ pressure acts, 1 goal assist (total) & 41 Dream Team points per game

Scarlett: 6 games - 17 disposals (5½ contested), 88% disposal efficiency, 7 marks (1 contested), 3 defensive 50 rebounds, 2 free kicks against, 4½ tackles, 5 pressure acts, 1 goal assist (total) & 78 Dream Team points

Glass: 10 games - 13 disposals (5½ contested), 88% disposal efficiency, 5 marks (1 contested), 1½ defensive 50 rebounds, 1 free kicks against, 2½ tackles, 6 pressure acts, 1 goal assist (total) & 53½ Dream Team points per game

How the hell can u say Matthew Scarlett wasnt a great one on on defender throughout is career has played on Lloyd Brown Both Riewoldts Franklin and Tredrea. He made his debut againist Lloyd and spent the whole day one on one think lloyd might have kicked 1 or 2 for the day...Tredrea was a great body player in his prime and scarlett would beat him on.a regular basis

If by 1 or 2 you mean 6.1, then yeah you're spot on.

Stats can sometimes be misleading if not in context but they usually paint a decent decent picture for defenders in particular as they are the ones who often rotate continually in order to keep the forwards in check.
Scarlett, Lonergan, Taylor, Mackie have all had to switch at different periods throughout matches this season as has Glass, McGinnity, MacKenzie & Schofield.
But interesting to see those three players statistics at the halfway mark of the season.

Rutten: 11 games - 10 disposals (4 contested), 86% disposal efficiency, 4 marks (0.5 contested), 1½ defensive 50 rebounds, 0.5 free kicks against, 1 tackle, 2½ pressure acts, 1 goal assist (total) & 41 Dream Team points per game

Scarlett: 6 games - 17 disposals (5½ contested), 88% disposal efficiency, 7 marks (1 contested), 3 defensive 50 rebounds, 2 free kicks against, 4½ tackles, 5 pressure acts, 1 goal assist (total) & 78 Dream Team points

Glass: 10 games - 13 disposals (5½ contested), 88% disposal efficiency, 5 marks (1 contested), 1½ defensive 50 rebounds, 1 free kicks against, 2½ tackles, 6 pressure acts, 1 goal assist (total) & 53½ Dream Team points per game

I'm not exactly sure what your point is seeing as Rutten and Glass's roles do not require them to touch the ball (albeit that Mackenzie has been playing as our no. 1 key back this year).
Players like Mackie and Schofield are comparable in the run and carry they generate from the backline. Frankly I'm fine with Glass's measly 53.5 DT points and I'm still impressed by Rutten's year despite his average of 10 disposals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not exactly sure what your point is seeing as Rutten and Glass's roles do not require them to touch the ball (albeit that Mackenzie has been playing as our no. 1 key back this year).

you said Glass and Rutten have been better than Scarlett for a few years there but according to the stats, I find it hard to see how Rutten could be a better player?

Surely if he was as you elude to then the awards would have come his way both club and comp honors.
Same is said with Glass.

I guess those AFL stats for this year are completely irrelevant.

you said Glass and Rutten have been better than Scarlett for a few years there but according to the stats, I find it hard to see how Rutten could be a better player?

Surely if he was as you elude to then the awards would have come his way both club and comp honors.
Same is said with Glass.

I guess those AFL stats for this year are completely irrelevant.

I'm still not sure what you are arguing.
Glass was WC B&F and AA FB last year.
There's a reasonable chance he is leading both (although Selwood - B&F and Richards - AA FB are more deserving ATM).
Needless to say the stats you have quoted above will have no bearing on B&F or AA considerations when it comes to the full-back position.

I'm still not sure what you are arguing.
Glass was WC B&F and AA FB last year.

Scarlett was AA last year as well, not sure how you can make the point that Glass and Rutten were the better players when Scarlett's stats and consistent effectiveness as a defender stacks up just as well as those guys.

That's all I'm arguing. I personally rate Glass as one of the best defenders I have ever seen so I can understand how you would see him being a better player but Rutten?
He's solid for sure but nah...Glass, Fletcher and Scarlett, they only get beaten if the team around them totally capitulate.

Scarlett was AA last year as well, not sure how you can make the point that Glass and Rutten were the better players when Scarlett's stats and consistent effectiveness as a defender stacks up just as well as those guys.

That's all I'm arguing. I personally rate Glass as one of the best defenders I have ever seen so I can understand how you would see him being a better player but Rutten?
He's solid for sure but nah...Glass, Fletcher and Scarlett, they only get beaten if the team around them totally capitulate.

You misunderstood me.
I didn't say Rutten was better last year. I said there was a year or two sometime back ('05-'06) where Rutten was probably better, Glass too. I would contend that both Glass and Rutten have been better than Scarlett this year. But then Richards and Rance have been better than those two, so....
My point was merely that even though Scarlett has been better over the whole journey there are players who have been better over the individual years. Hence, if you are talking about Scarlett and being overrated (which I think he is, but not by much) then his greatness comes because he has been good for so long.
Also, Scarlett getting an AA position last year was more of an anomaly rather than an accurate pick. From memory, so was Glass, somewhat. In the case of AA, sometimes reputation and a decent year will get a player the nod even when there are players who have a more justified claim for the award.

You misunderstood me.
I didn't say Rutten was better last year. I said there was a year or two sometime back ('05-'06) where Rutten was probably better, Glass too. I would contend that both Glass and Rutten have been better than Scarlett this year. But then Richards and Rance have been better than those two, so....
My point was merely that even though Scarlett has been better over the whole journey there are players who have been better over the individual years. Hence, if you are talking about Scarlett and being overrated (which I think he is, but not by much) then his greatness comes because he has been good for so long.
Also, Scarlett getting an AA position last year was more of an anomaly rather than an accurate pick. From memory, so was Glass, somewhat. In the case of AA, sometimes reputation and a decent year will get a player the nod even when there are players who have a more justified claim for the award.

no worries, agree with most but I reckon Scarlett is the victim of his own greatness these days. It's like Ablett's 89 final series and come 1994, everyone expected the same level of excellence.
But if you compare their output in latter years to their peers, they are still dominating in such a consistent manor that it's hard to ignore them despite some people's lofty expectations.

It's no surprise that Geelong without Scarlett this year, we went 3-3.

Say what you will, Scarlett was bloody awesome last year and am just thankful he's gone on again and is finally starting to bring his A game in recent weeks.
Improvement still to come, he's going to be performing at the highest level at the pointy end of the season and that may again turn people's noses up when it comes to awards because they will look back to his slow start to the year (despite the suspension and injuries) and hold that against him all year long.

10. Tom Hawkins-

9. Michael Hurley- Seems a bit of a down hill skier.He's had 4/5 years and shown us what?

8. Brett Stanton- Plays half a good season and all of a sudden the last 5 years are forgotten.

7. Nic Nat- Being able to jump makes you the most exciting player in the league now apparently.

6. Travis Cloak- Slow and dumb.

5.Tom Scully- He got his money.Can he start showing something?

4. Paddy Ryder- Goes missing a lot. Occasionally pops up when his team is 80 ahead.

3. Daisy Thomas- Played a few good finals but most times i see him play does little to effect the game.

2. Garlett/Yarran-

1. Jarred Waite- Blues fans should probably stop pinning their hopes on him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion 10 most over rated current players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back