Opinion 10 most over rated current players

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Jonathan Brown is over rated. Struts around thinking he's king d***, and everyone takes this on, especially the media. But if it wasnt for the strut, deep voice, and occa accent no one would give a rats about him. In fact everyone would just call him a ****** when they see him running back into packs screwing his head up.

Harsh.

I think Jonathan Brown is over rated. Struts around thinking he's king d***, and everyone takes this on, especially the media. But if it wasnt for the strut, deep voice, and occa accent no one would give a rats about him. In fact everyone would just call him a ****** when they see him running back into packs screwing his head up.
500 goals, 3 time premiership player, coleman medalist, 3 time lions best and fairest and 2 all australians. Puts him up there with some of the best chf of all time.

So no I don't think if you took away his strut and his voice would nobody give a rats about him.

It is interesting that Cyril Rioli's name gets mentioned on this thread as often as it does. But what I saw last night was not over-rated.
If you just read the stats in the paper you would often be mistaken to say he doesnt do much. but he doesnt need to have 30 touches to influence a game....if he has 15 to 20 touches, you know he is going to do some damage.
Rioli's 16 touches last night had a far greater impact on the game than Swan's 31 touches.

It is interesting that Cyril Rioli's name gets mentioned on this thread as often as it does. But what I saw last night was not over-rated.
If you just read the stats in the paper you would often be mistaken to say he doesnt do much. but he doesnt need to have 30 touches to influence a game....if he has 15 to 20 touches, you know he is going to do some damage.
Rioli's 16 touches last night had a far greater impact on the game than Swan's 31 touches.
His first half was great and he was near BOG but hardly did anything after that.

Coming from a Crows supporter...

JARED PETRENKO IS SO OVERRATED!!!!!!!

There, I said it.

Others I'd have to say are would be Nick Riewoldt (yes, you heard me right), Daniel Rich and good old Daniel Wells.

Argue if you want to. I suppose this is what this thread (and all other opinion threads, for that matter) is for.

Be careful cause that's what Essendon fans are saying about Hurley before this season starts.
Probably true.
I'm confident, based on what he's shown, in a hell of a lot more trying circumstances to this point; compared to Dawes up to the start of last year.

Context, in this case, is important.
Hurley getting 2nd option defender with Pendlebury et al kicking it to him would be a behemoth.

I was a non-believer and i still think he is inconsistent, but Cyrils best is at least as good as anyone elses, god help any team that plays the hawks the week that he and Buddy hit their straps in-sync, that will be amazing to watch.

Mark Robinson named him Hawthorns best in the HUN. I thought he was our 3rd best behind Mitchell & Buddy. Birchall was probably 4th best.

Probably didn't even watch the game. Just saw Swan 30 possessions, and put him in ahead of Buddy.

My votes:

5 - Mitchell
4 - Buddy
3 - Pendlebury
2 - Birchall
1 - Rioli

Coming from a Crows supporter...

JARED PETRENKO IS SO OVERRATED!!!!!!!

There, I said it.

Others I'd have to say are would be Nick Riewoldt (yes, you heard me right), Daniel Rich and good old Daniel Wells.

Argue if you want to. I suppose this is what this thread (and all other opinion threads, for that matter) is for.

I think that Wells gets the "overrated" tag because he arrived in the AFL amidst great hype. For whatever reason he hasn't been as good as his prepublicity suggested he would be. Something similar could be said about Reiwoldt. Both of these players have been held to very high standards, higher than many other players, and when people feel that they haven't lived up to these high standards the "overrated" tag gets applied to them, not always fairly.

I'm going to get shot down here by my fellow supporters but... I would have to say Cyril is overrated at the moment. One of my favourite players but the level of hype is pretty ridiculous. At the moment he's probably not in the hawks top 7 players, in my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm going to get shot down here by my fellow supporters but... I would have to say Cyril is overrated at the moment. One of my favourite players but the level of hype is pretty ridiculous. At the moment he's probably not in the hawks top 7 players, in my opinion.

The blokes a magician, he can dissapear without trace for long periods.

But in saying that, he's been bloody good this year, still overrated by the media but you can see why they love him.

I find that the average footy follower overrates David Rodan.

Reckon he should be in Ports starting 18, not the sub. Always includes him when hyping Port midfield (e.g., they have Boak, Hartlett, Kornes, Rodan...). Think he is a 'jet'.

Inconsistent, drifts in and out of games. Gets some credit for agility, but nothing more than a bit player imo.

Probably right.
Rodan can be massively, massively damaging when he does get it - weaving out of congestion and bursting free - and I think that sticks in the mind maybe more than it should - much like guys who pull down huge marks get a bit over-hyped.
His quantity & consistency isn't really up there, and we'll probably never know how much his injuries have affected that.

Still, I almost shat myself when he got a few touches in the 3rd quarter when we played them - he's torn us up, a lot, in the past.

Probably right.
Rodan can be massively, massively damaging when he does get it - weaving out of congestion and bursting free - and I think that sticks in the mind maybe more than it should - much like guys who pull down huge marks get a bit over-hyped.
His quantity & consistency isn't really up there, and we'll probably never know how much his injuries have affected that.

Still, I almost shat myself when he got a few touches in the 3rd quarter when we played them - he's torn us up, a lot, in the past.

Yep, I'm not saying he has no skill, or is just a dud. He can be damaging, he has skill, and can turn a game on its head with some class and bringing his teammates into it. I find though he doesn't do it enough, and doesn't have a complete game. That's my opinion, but I reckon he is overrated.

10. Aaron Sandilands
9. Matthew Boyd
8. Corey Enright
7. Luke Hodge
6. Adam Goodes
5. Bryce Gibbs
4. Dale Thomas
3. Lance Franklin
2. Dane Swan
1. Jack Riewoldt

10. Aaron Sandilands
9. Matthew Boyd
8. Corey Enright
7. Luke Hodge
6. Adam Goodes
5. Bryce Gibbs
4. Dale Thomas
3. Lance Franklin
2. Dane Swan
1. Jack Riewoldt

Gibbs, Franklin and Goodes? Have to disagree big time.

Fremantle's Stephen Hill is overrated a tad at the moment. Liked his game on the weekend after half time, but his good games have been few and far between. He will probably be good in the future, but is overhyped at the moment.

Gibbs, Franklin and Goodes? Have to disagree big time.

Franklin and Goodes I put up mainly because of inconsistency (that and as a Swans supporter I get sick of the media just going to Adam Goodes for everything. We have other players!)

Gibbs isn't a bad player by any means (none of the players on the list are) but I do think he is overrated.

Reece Shaw. Biggest spud to have kicked a footy. 2 in 10 games are decent.
Harry O'Brien horriffic defender when one on one. Poor mans Josh Gibbson at best.
Mathew Scarlett. Was very good between 2007-10. But he is average at best when it comes to one on one defending. One of the better loose defenders at one stage. But that shouldn't make you one of the great FB's. In 2011 took the 3rd best tall every week and yet made AA team over Josh Gibbson. WOW! Stole Mal Michael's AA spot in the early 2000s IMO.

Harry O'Brien horriffic defender when one on one. Poor mans Josh Gibbson at best.
Mathew Scarlett. Was very good between 2007-10. But he is average at best when it comes to one on one defending. One of the better loose defenders at one stage. But that shouldn't make you one of the great FB's. In 2011 took the 3rd best tall every week and yet made AA team over Josh Gibbson. WOW! Stole Mal Michael's AA spot in the early 2000s IMO.

How the hell can u say Matthew Scarlett wasnt a great one on on defender throughout is career has played on Lloyd Brown Both Riewoldts Franklin and Tredrea. He made his debut againist Lloyd and spent the whole day one on one think lloyd might have kicked 1 or 2 for the day...Tredrea was a great body player in his prime and scarlett would beat him on.a regular basis

Who out there really rates Rhyce Shaw that highly? He barely gets mentioned as far as I see.

And I imagine you have no idea what role he gets given week to week. Some weeks he is allowed to rebound and run as much as he wants (like his last few weeks where he has been averaging around 25 quality touches) and some weeks he is asked to shut down a quality runner like Rioli, Harvey, Dahlhaus, all of whom he has played on and beaten well this year. He is a much better player now than what he was at Collingwood.

Not to mention he has finished second in our B&F twice in his first three years at the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion 10 most over rated current players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back