Mar 16, 2005
True centre half forward
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Hibees
10 Victorian clubs here to stay: AFL

By Caroline Wilson

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou has declared his support for 10 clubs in Victoria and reminded all 16 clubs that the Victorian teams have been subsidising the competition for years.

On the eve of the first all-Victorian grand final since 2000, Demetriou has pointed out that the most recent $750 million broadcast rights deal was underpinned by the massive interest in the game generated from Victoria.

Demetriou, who has pledged to attract a fairer deal for all the MCG and Telstra Dome home teams, also reminded the wealthier and non-Victorian clubs that the annual AFL special assistance fund of $6 million ploughed into poorer Melbourne teams was a small price to pay.

Demetriou's stand took place at Monday's meeting of the 16 club presidents, at which the AFL revealed its strategy to remove the additional special distribution (ASD) to poorer clubs such as Melbourne, North Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs and replace it with fairer stadium deals.

But the AFL chief executive and his commission moved to quash any disquiet about clubs surviving on welfare by pointing out that the traditional AFL states Victoria, South Australia and Western Australia provided the interest that generated the richest broadcast deal in Australian sport.

While the next commission meeting, scheduled for next month, was initially expected to reach a decision on ASD funding beyond 2009, the AFL now plans to push the MCG and Telstra Dome to lower the costs of their prohibitive ground agreements with a view to allowing the clubs to survive independently.

"It was terrific news for the clubs, I must say," Geelong president Frank Costa said last night. "We were all very encouraged by the AFL's viewpoint.

"I know how hard clubs like the Western Bulldogs work and how innovative some of their ideas are but when they can't make money out of a 30,000 crowd at Telstra Dome and we can make good money out of a 24,000 crowd at the ground we are lucky enough to own, then the equalisation policy needs to be improved."

Telstra Dome's deal with the AFL reverts to a 30-game minimum in 2014, with the stadium this year hosting 46 home-and-away fixtures, while charging Melbourne Victory significantly less than most AFL tenant clubs upon which it relies for revenue.

The MCG, which hosted its agreed minimum 45 games in 2008, will finish the season with total attendances of some 2.85 million but has a contractual minimum attendance agreement of 1.7 million. The MCG has managed to significantly reduce its debt on the back of its big AFL attendances.

The AFL has continued to float the possibility of building another stadium to add weaponry to its bargaining position but in the first instance will also point out to both Melbourne stadium bosses, Stephen Gough and Ian Collins, that the extra games emanating from a nine-team competition will not be played at grounds that charge AFL clubs more than any other football code in the country.

Monday's meeting also left club presidents in no doubt regarding the AFL's push into Western Sydney.

Although Demetriou and his board did not back away from the daunting challenges posed by the 2012 launch of the 18th club, the AFL insisted that poor Sydney crowds and the Swans' struggle in Sydney this year had not weakened its resolve.

• Banned
On the eve of the first all-Victorian grand final since 2000, Demetriou has pointed out that the most recent $750 million broadcast rights deal was underpinned by the massive interest in the game generated from Victoria.

Demetriou, who has pledged to attract a fairer deal for all the MCG and Telstra Dome home teams, also reminded the wealthier and non-Victorian clubs that the annual AFL special assistance fund of $6 million ploughed into poorer Melbourne teams was a small price to pay.

After literally years spent on this board and the main board arguing with anti Vic trolls like DoctorJolly and many others, who claimed, time and time again, that clubs like mine were a drain, and that TV rights money came from Sydney and Qld, it is nice for the very man who should know to come out and say what we've been saying for years.

Also good to see AGAIN that North has done the hard yards and innovated and struggled to break something - in this case the stadium deals and thus the end of ASD.

And as with all our other innovations, from marketing to sponsorships to Friday night footy, the other clubs will enjoy the rewards too.

North - truly the greatest club.

• Banned
just be happy with what you've got, l'm bloody happy that l know my mob won't be pushed out anywhere:D

You wont be pushed anywhere, but you won't get any help either.

I don't know that the stadium deal issue is as big a financial millstone for you as it is for us and Footscray.

I think your problems might be deeper seated. And I hope you guys can work them out.

• Banned
I guess we'll have to give a box of tissues to all those Freo supporters that want Melbourne to fold.

Is it Freo supporters who go after you?

It seems to be (some) Sydney fans who target us.

They must be gutted that their patron - and in Sydney's case master - Demetriou has just done this to them.

That's a very quick turnaround by Andy, less than 12 montrhs ago he was all about killing clubs off. And now this.
I simply don't believe him. Trying to lull everyone into a false sense of security, until he and his henchmen can find a new strategy to destroy clubs, is about all I see out of this.

..... will also point out to both Melbourne stadium bosses, Stephen Gough and Ian Collins, that the extra games emanating from a nine-team competition will not be played at grounds that charge AFL clubs more than any other football code in the country......

Ah Caro at her fact checking best.

Is it Freo supporters who go after you?

It seems to be (some) Sydney fans who target us.

They must be gutted that their patron - and in Sydney's case master - Demetriou has just done this to them.

You are right , there are some Swans fans who seem to post some uninformed crap about North, it is mostly in response to some of the uninformed crap that a few North supporters post about the Swans. I hope all of the Melbourne clubs can survive in Melbourne and it is about time something was done about the inequitable stadium deals. How long before the AFL owns Telstra Dome?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are right , there are some Swans fans who seem to post some uninformed crap about North, it is mostly in response to some of the uninformed crap that a few North supporters post about the Swans. I hope all of the Melbourne clubs can survive in Melbourne and it is about time something was done about the inequitable stadium deals. How long before the AFL owns Telstra Dome?

Good stuff and fair points though there is no North supporter who goes after Sydney (and with such venom and inaccuracy) as Doctor_Jolly goes after us.

31 December 2025

"10 Victorian clubs here to stay: AFL"

Isn't that like someone saying "<insert name> has our full support" right before knifing them in the back.

Mark my words in the next few years if a Melbourne club gets themselves too much in the shits, they will soon be a Tasmanian club. It's not a matter of if its a matter of when.

Good stuff and fair points though there is no North supporter who goes after Sydney (and with such venom and inaccuracy) as Doctor_Jolly goes after us.

Stop your crying.

Again, weak leadership from the ex-North Melbourne player now AFL CEO.

Facts are victoria generates less revenue per team than the other states, and this victorian dominated years finals series and grand final will be the lowest TV rating series for the last 10 years by a long, long way.

Oh well. Hopefully Fitzpatrick has a bit more vision. Demetriou's legecy will be know as the CEO who "dropped the ball".

The point about Geelong is true. They make serious money out of a 24,000 crowd.

A team should only need to get a crowd of 10,000 or 15,000 to break even at ANY stadium.

This is irrelevant to this thread but looks like the best spot to ask-where did the Sydney media thread go? Did Fred give it the arse?

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion 10 Victorian clubs here to stay: AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back