Player Watch #11: Luke "Two Dogs" McDonald (Part II) - Roo til end '26 - 2023/24 co captain w/ Jy

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn’t they say on the midweek tackle that we will revert to a single captain next year? If so that for sure means that Luke doesn’t continue as captain
He will captain as you don’t think Simpkin won’t get tapped on the shoulder to step down.
In the real world Sheezel should be captain of our club.

Has the composure of a seal with no fins in shark infested waters.

The moment he kicked that out on the full I knew he’d gifted all the momentum to WC.
Said it out loud at that moment and I doubt the only one who recognised it.

You knew deep inside, despite wanting to be wrong - that he'd just got our opponents back in the game.

Said it out loud at that moment and I doubt the only one who recognised it.

You knew deep inside, despite wanting to be wrong - that he'd just got our opponents back in the game.
The reality is if this is all it takes to let our opponents back into the game in those circumstances then we have alot more problems than just Lmac.

The reality is if this is all it takes to let our opponents back into the game in those circumstances then we have alot more problems than just Lmac.
If im a young player and I see my captain kick it out on the full with next to no pressure my head would drop in an instant.

How this twit became captain 2 years in a row is beyond me.

Didn’t deserve it last year based on performance yet we continued to reward him with the captaincy again.

Loser mentality. We reward mediocrity.

No wonder we can’t hold a ****ing lead
Exactly
How this twit became captain 2 years in a row is beyond me.

Didn’t deserve it last year based on performance yet we continued to reward him with the captaincy again.

Loser mentality. We reward mediocrity.

No wonder we can’t hold a ****ing lead

It all starts at the top and the standards u demand and accept
Every sporting club and business needs good leaders to be successful
Agree to a degree, professionals dont need someone else to perform. Sure some may motivate them, in some areas, even archer said so. But sheezel just does the work.

Need to change the Captain selection policy and not have it just down to the players and who they want. At a minimum it should be a weighted process where the coaches have 50% say and the players the other 50%.

Captaincy should not be a popularity and good bloke competition which is what ours look like atm. We need a hard arsed competent AFL footballer who sets and enforces the standards expected from a winning culture to take us forward.

I still can’t fathom that a 200 game player like LMac would not improve on his kicking each preseason to eradicate these basic errors.

If im a young player and I see my captain kick it out on the full with next to no pressure my head would drop in an instant.
We have more than one captain and more than a few young players. Sheezel, for example, wouldn't drop his head in those circumstances. Either would Jacko, and he didn't.

This is part of the problem. Everyone makes mistakes and no player has ever played a perfect game of footy or even a mistake free one. Thinking mistakes are the end of the world and then acting as if they are is a bigger issue than one mistake made by the captain. Duck made mistakes and our other players, even young ones, never dropped their heads.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hear me out here guys…
We become the first team to play WITHOUT a captain.
I mean history would suggest since Carey, we’ve been abysmal.
Since Simpson, none of the captains have actually showed they want to apply themselves or get better.
And **** me. It doesn’t even have to be about getting better. I’ll take sustained four quarter urgency and attentiveness to the entire game as fitting the right criteria.

Last edited:
Here me out here guys…
Since Simpson, none of the captains have actually showed they want to apply themselves or get better.
And **** me. It doesn’t even have to be about getting better. I’ll take sustained four quarter urgency and attentiveness to the entire game as fitting the right criteria.
Agree except for Spitta. He was a beast of player and got every ounce out of his career which if not for the Achilles would have been even greater.

Agree except for Spitta. He was a beast of player and got every ounce out of his career which if not for the Achilles would have been even greater.
100%. His Hollywood looks distracted from his ultra consistent form, hardness and decent leadership.

It hurts to watch, but I don't see any indication that it particularly hurts him when he singlehandedly tanks momentum again and again and again. He just pops right back up with that smirk on his face.

He had a decent month and a half stretch of games, but this was him at his worst. I seriously can't handle it.

Hear me out here guys…
We can have a rolling captain. The best player the week before gets the gig the following week. Sorted!

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I still can’t fathom that a 200 game player like LMac would not improve on his kicking each preseason to eradicate these basic errors.
Shit kicks are always going to be shit kicks. A shit kick doesn’t transform into a great kick because he is at an afl club. You either can or you cant. And Luke cannot.

We have more than one captain and more than a few young players. Sheezel, for example, wouldn't drop his head in those circumstances. Either would Jacko, and he didn't.

This is part of the problem. Everyone makes mistakes and no player has ever played a perfect game of footy or even a mistake free one. Thinking mistakes are the end of the world and then acting as if they are is a bigger issue than one mistake made by the captain. Duck made mistakes and our other players, even young ones, never dropped their heads.
I never make mistakes! Mistakes made me..

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #11: Luke "Two Dogs" McDonald (Part II) - Roo til end '26 - 2023/24 co captain w/ Jy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back