List Mgmt. Welcome Tim Kelly (Traded in 2019 Megatrade)

Remove this Banner Ad

Straight up garbage today, the worst midfield leader that we’ve ever had.
Everyone had him in their top 5s last week, but I thought he was trash last week as well.
He may have racked up some numbers but it's the things he doesn't do, which as a senior player leading the midfield, is inexcusable.

It's the garbage tackle attempts where he sticks one arm out and the oppo player just blasts through, non-chasing/horrible defensive work rate he shows almost every time WC doesn't have the ball. And the turnovers/poor skills (he runs at like 50% kicking DE), /poor decisions that constantly let him down.

He is a front runner

Everyone had him in their top 5s last week, but I thought he was trash last week as well.
He may have racked up some numbers but it's the things he doesn't do, which as a senior player leading the midfield, is inexcusable.

It's the garbage tackle attempts where he sticks one arm out and the oppo player just blasts through, non-chasing/horrible defensive work rate he shows almost every time WC doesn't have the ball. And the turnovers/poor skills (he runs at like 50% kicking DE), /poor decisions that constantly let him down.

He is a front runner
He can't be a front runner if he's regularly our highest production midfielder.

He can't be a front runner if he's regularly our highest production midfielder.
By front runner I mean he isn't interested in doing the hard work when WC don't have the ball.
Being one of the senior lads in the midfield group, he needs to set the standards. One of the biggest reasons we are so poor at the moment is there is zero defensive pressure when the ball is turned over in our F50. Teams just waltz through the middle like circle work at training. We need to fix that right now, and Kelly has never shown signs that he is interested in that part of his game.
You we be pretty happy if you were an opposition player and you saw your magnet next to Kellys, all you need to do is get a meter or two on him and you are off, uncontested possession chain all the way to the goals. He ain't chasing or working hard to get in touch to stop you run.

It's also pretty damning when our highest production midfielder runs at 50% kicking DE and averages 5 turn overs a game. Ever kick he takes is a coin toss whether effective or not. And 1 fifth of his possession are direct turn overs.

I haven’t loved some of TK’s efforts this year either but people are quick to forget how important he was for us last year.

Was one of the few who consistently stayed on the park and just battled every week in a undermanned midfield. Averaged 28.2 disposals, 5.9 clearances, 4.9 inside 50s and 4.7 tackles last year and won the B&F by a fair margin (37 votes above the 2nd placed Allen).

Sure, his form has been disappointing this year, but let’s not pretend he’s just cruised around contributing nothing during his whole tenure at WC. We’d have been even more screwed last year without him.

I haven’t loved some of TK’s efforts this year either but people are quick to forget how important he was for us last year.

Was one of the few who consistently stayed on the park and just battled every week in a undermanned midfield. Averaged 28.2 disposals, 5.9 clearances, 4.9 inside 50s and 4.7 tackles last year and won the B&F by a fair margin (37 votes above the 2nd placed Allen).

Sure, his form has been disappointing this year, but let’s not pretend he’s just cruised around contributing nothing during his whole tenure at WC. We’d have been even more screwed last year without him.
He’s clearly a very good footballer and easily one of our most talented, but unfortunately doesn’t seem at all interested in leadership, which is what we need more than anything from our expensive senior players right now.

He’s clearly a very good footballer and easily one of our most talented, but unfortunately doesn’t seem at all interested in leadership, which is what we need more than anything from our expensive senior players right now.
Fair call, it would’ve been very handy over the last couple years if he had those leadership qualities to go with his playing ability. But I guess he’s just not one of those players. There’s plenty of senior players like that though - Andrew Gaff and Jack Darling as two familiar examples. Neither have really ever been thought of as potential captains or VC options and were never in the leadership group for any long periods

Fair call, it would’ve been very handy over the last couple years if he had those leadership qualities to go with his playing ability. But I guess he’s just not one of those players. There’s plenty of senior players like that though - Andrew Gaff and Jack Darling as two familiar examples. Neither have really ever been thought of as potential captains or VC options and were never in the leadership group for any long periods
Yes unfortunately we have a bit of a glut (Dominic, looking at you). Big part of the current problem

He plays like football is just a job for him. There doesn't seem to be any passion there so why would there be leadership?

Isnt he dealing with a knee injury?

I agree he has been pretty trash the last 5-6 weeks but he was very very good last year.

That's fine, but he should be rested if that's the case. I don't understand the point of playing underdone players in our side right now as if we're trying to make sure we get a spot in the finals.

That's fine, but he should be rested if that's the case. I don't understand the point of playing underdone players in our side right now as if we're trying to make sure we get a spot in the finals.

Yeah agree we should be resting him.

Let Chesser play in the guts and see if he is worth persisting with.

Aside from other issues identified, I really dislike how selfish he is. So often just burns players in a much better position just so he can take the kick or try and make a play. Often him doing that results in it backfiring and him just offloading the ball indiscriminately anyway.

He is one of the reasons why we are as bad as we are. The fact he absorbs a prime "hit to" role and a large chunk of our salary cap but is performing like he does, is killing us. Yes he can have good games when we are going ok and reasonable stats at times, but the stats mostly come from his role and that he plays for himself. If he was playing more selflessly and getting 25% less of the ball, we would be far better off. See how Zac Merrett now plays for Essendon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The unfortunate thing with Kelly is he was more the cherry on top rather than the ice cream.
For the past 3-4 years he should have been playing alongside Shuey, Yeo, Good Gaff, NicNat all while the young guys get exposure with experience around them.
Unfortunately for the bulk of the time he has been the sole experienced player with others in and out with injury.

If he can fix that knee up, Yeo stays fit and healthy and Reid, Ginbey, Chesser, even Trew, get another pre-season under their belt we will see a better Kelly next year I am sure.

I have defended Tk staunchlynover the years but his lack of leadership really pisses me off. You don’t have to be a great or vocal leader just look Yeo for example but Yeo at least tries to puts the side on his back and carry us. tk does it when it suits him but at the moment his ball use and the way he burns teammates is frustrating. He’s essentially like watching Sheed over the last few years. Gets the ball but uses it horribly

we are not a club that has ever been rich on leadership. Cuz carried the team for years as an example. Current captains are nice guys that don't lead onfield.

we are not a club that has ever been rich on leadership. Cuz carried the team for years as an example. Current captains are nice guys that don't lead onfield.

Interesting to hear Schofield say that Glassy was scary as heck back in the day. Now it seems like captaincy is a popularity contest and I just can't see Oscar or Duggan putting the wind up anyone...if it even occurred to them to try.

Interesting to hear Schofield say that Glassy was scary as heck back in the day. Now it seems like captaincy is a popularity contest and I just can't see Oscar or Duggan putting the wind up anyone...if it even occurred to them to try.
I don’t think the captain role makes that much of a difference, but if it is indicative of the overall leadership in the team, then it’s a bit of a worry if you have two captains that aren’t great on-field leaders.

They’re both smart and speak well to the media, but we don’t need the captain to be that. I think Allen is a positive on-field leader but not sure he has the ability to put rockets up asses

As the Tim Kelly sponsor this year I thought it best that I wish him a happy birthday today. Not been a great year for the great man. Let's hope you get a nice late present tomorrow - perhaps even a Ross Glendinning (Allen) medal in a derby win!

As the Tim Kelly sponsor this year I thought it best that I wish him a happy birthday today. Not been a great year for the great man. Let's hope you get a nice late present tomorrow - perhaps even a Ross Glendinning (Allen) medal in a derby win!

A man is cleaning out his garage and comes upon an old lamp. He figures what the heck, takes the lamp, rubs it off, and sure enough a Genie pops out. “Thank you for awakening me. I will grant you one wish.”
The man inquires “anything I want?"

“Yes, anything” says the Genie.

The man says “I’m afraid of flying but I’ve always wanted to visit Hawaii. I’d like you to build me a bridge to Hawaii so that I can drive there and visit.”

“A bridge to Hawaii?!” the Genie replies, “That’s a really tough request. The water is up to a mile deep, the swells in that part of the Pacific sometimes reach 25 feet.

The bridge would have to be thousands of miles long. The amount of concrete and steel to accomplish that feat will have to come from somewhere, it will be nearly impossible. Can I implore you to think of a different wish?”

The man thinks for a bit. “OK then, it's Tim Kelly's birthday today, can you make him win a Ross Glendinning medal in today's game as part of an Eagles derby win?”

The Genie responds “so how many lanes you want on that bridge?”

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Welcome Tim Kelly (Traded in 2019 Megatrade)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back