#12 - Daniel Talia

Remove this Banner Ad

The good news is that WB's who have a great recruiting team were hoping like hell that Talia would slip to 15.
So its WB and Adel v Port and Melb.

Id back WB and Adel recruiting. Its just amazing the difference in opinions by the so called 'experts', who watch these guys weekly over a 2 year period.

Hmmm, lets play spot the difference.:cool:

Whats the difference between the Western Bulldogs/Crows and Port/Melbourne?:rolleyes:

I wouldn't be particularly worried about two clubs coming out and saying they didn't rate a certain player, when another did. Just look at Dangerfield and Otten for that matter, we rated them a lot higher than others clubs did, were we wrong to do so? The next year we got McKernan at 28 when we rated him at about 6, so far he's shown us that he was certainly worth far more than a late 2nd rounder.

I think here on BigFooty, we tend to get caught up in the groupthink phenomenon, which in this case assumes that there's some master list ranking these players and that because everyone on on BF, with their phantom drafts, follows pretty much the same order that the clubs will do the same, with lists that only vary slightly from one another. When in actual fact, the clubs quite often have quite differing lists. This is how in 07 we managed to get our 3rd, 11th and 12th rated players with picks 10, 27 and 30 and in 08 we managed to get our 2nd and 6th(?) rated players with picks 10 and 28.

It just shows how much of an inexact science drafting is, there's really little point worrying how well or badly we've done in this most recent draft, because we won't seriously know for 2 or 3 years, at the very least, how well we've done. Everyone thinks they've done well at the moment, that's why drafting is often likened to Christmas for Footy clubs, but the proof will be in the pudding, which unforunately isn't delivered on Christmas day.

It's fascinating the clubs can rate their top 20 so differently.

I'm not sure what the quote is saying though - are they saying that he's too tall to play anything other than KPP but isn't talented enough to play that position, or are they saying that he is not tall enough?

Do you have a link for that quote?

Not sure about those two clubs but North rated Jenny Talia :p in at number 10.

I rate Adel/NM/Geel/WB as the best recruiters.
If they say he was top 13, then we should be confident about his quality.

could you expand on that?

Geelong have just delisted nearly all their 2007 draftees, WB haven't recruited a decent tall since Lake or Darcy, and North has managed a steady decline and settlement down the table.

could you expand on that?

Geelong have just delisted nearly all their 2007 draftees, WB haven't recruited a decent tall since Lake or Darcy, and North has managed a steady decline and settlement down the table.

Look at Geelong's squad (enough said);
WB under clayton (great squad, he also built BL (4 in a row grand final squad). They do have quality talls coming through. Roughead/Williams/Everitt/Grant.Dont forget they have been great the last couple of years.
North has had their recruiter for 2 years. The last 2 drafts NM have recruited the best.
Crows under Rendell similar to NM.

Look at Geelong's squad (enough said);
WB under clayton (great squad, he also built BL (4 in a row grand final squad). They do have quality talls coming through. Roughead/Williams/Everitt/Grant.Dont forget they have been great the last couple of years.
North has had their recruiter for 2 years. The last 2 drafts NM have recruited the best.
Crows under Rendell similar to NM.

ok, that's what I expected. ;)

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this. But read on the Draft board:

A couple of clubs have come out and said they didn't rank Talia in their top 20 (Port, Melbourne) they dont believe that he is able to hold down KP well enough for his height.

I don't believe that I have ever heard the Crows refer to Talia as a KPP, all the talk has been from the club that Talia ia a utility player

If Port and Melb did not rate him because they did not see him as a KPP that is their call however the Crows obviously see Talia having the flexibility to play different types of roles

Interesting to hear that Port and Melb did not rate the U/18 All Australian CHB as a KPP :eek:

I don't believe that I have ever heard the Crows refer to Talia as a KPP, all the talk has been from the club that Talia ia a utility player

If Port and Melb did not rate him because they did not see him as a KPP that is their call however the Crows obviously see Talia having the flexibility to play different types of roles

Interesting to hear that Port and Melb did not rate the U/18 All Australian CHB as a KPP :eek:
:confused:
How did Port get into this debate? :confused:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had asked whether they get caught off guard when a player doesn't fall expecting him to say they have a number of different scenario's worked out should player a b or c not go as expected. It quite surprised me when he said they found out the morning of the draft.

Also mentioned that they no longer have a scout in Queensland due to the fact that GC has dibs on the best kids up here for some time.

I had asked whether they get caught off guard when a player doesn't fall expecting him to say they have a number of different scenario's worked out should player a b or c not go as expected. It quite surprised me when he said they found out the morning of the draft.

Also mentioned that they no longer have a scout in Queensland due to the fact that GC has dibs on the best kids up here for some time.

It could be a while before we get another newbie as good as this guy. :( Very glad we got him. Being 194cms and already 89kgs, athletic enough to be a midfielder but flexible enough to play defense or attack, smart enough to learn team plans quickly and a very pleasant person too. :thumbsu:

I hope he does really well.
DanTalia.jpg
[/IMG]

Number 12
Height 194cm
Weight 89kg
DOB 02-10-1991
Debut Yet to debut

That is impressive :thumbsu: We don't really know much about his athletic prowess because he couldn't make the draft camp. Could be yet another hidden talent that Rendell pounced on :D:thumbsu:

That's a bit of a stretch stabby. He was touted as going top 10, which most would consider in the spotlight, not exactly hidden.

That being said though, his athleticism certainly makes him an exciting prospect :thumbsu:.

That's a bit of a stretch stabby. He was touted as going top 10, which most would consider in the spotlight, not exactly hidden.

That being said though, his athleticism certainly makes him an exciting prospect :thumbsu:.

Yep, according to our recruitment board (which the club forgot to take down before the open day) we would have taken him at 10 if we had pick 10. I think what helped him slide was the fact Melbourne and Port had 5 picks within the first 12 and he wasn't on their.

I don't know if it's just me, but from watching the champs videos and the highlights on the net, I see a bit of Sam Fisher (St. Kilda) in him, just the way he moves, takes marks and even kick to a certain extent. He could easily be used in the way the saints use Fisher, in the sense that similar to Fisher, he is a KPP whose primary use is not to 'stop' the oppositions KPF, but rather set up the play from defense and be used as the type of player who has the capability to play HB, and even have some stints in the middle/wing. On the plus side for us is that Talia is more then capable playing forward as well.

I really can't believe how good our KPP stocks are looking for the next 10+ years, with Sellar, Tippett, Walker, Davis, Mckernan, Young, Talia, Gunston, Craig and Thompson, and most exciting of all is that the club has HIGH hopes for most if not all, and bar the new draftees they have shown they will make it.

I meant that his athleticism was a hidden talent of his, not that he was a hidden talent in general - he was widely considered the best KPD in the draft :p But not necessarily because of his athleticism which it now appears is extremely good but was not able to be tested at the draft camp to make it common knowledge in the greater footy public.

I meant that his athleticism was a hidden talent of his, not that he was a hidden talent in general - he was widely considered the best KPD in the draft :p But not necessarily because of his athleticism which it now appears is extremely good but was not able to be tested at the draft camp to make it common knowledge in the greater footy public.

Well he definitely has good endurance going from his 3km trial efforts. Why was it that he couldn't get his athletic prowess screened at draft camp?

Well he definitely has good endurance going from his 3km trial efforts. Why was it that he couldn't get his athletic prowess screened at draft camp?

He got a hammy from putting on his hot pink skin tight metro shorts????:D

But really:
"Hamstring injury bought his season to an early end and although nearly fully recovered, was unable to participate at Draft Camp. Vic Metro U18 representative in 2009, winning All-Australian honours." http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86924/default.aspx

Remove this Banner Ad

#12 - Daniel Talia

Remove this Banner Ad

Back