Delisted 13. Liam Stocker

Remove this Banner Ad

Just heard the whole interview with Stocker.
What an inspiration. And how wonderfully mature, articulate and gracious is this young man.
I must confess he was always one of my favourites from the very beginning.
Just thought there was something special about him.
I saw him in person at training in the early days, he was spinning the footy on his finger, he could flick the ball up with his feet like a start soccer player.
I thought, this kid has got somthing special.
Feel so grateful to have players like him, Weiters & Jones in our side. Makes you proud.
I hope Stocker tears it apart in 2022. Maybe as an on baller.

Oh no, not Weiters

There will always be differing opinions about any particular footballer's skills, attributes and what they bring to the side they play for but ask yourself this simple question, if your son/daughter, nephew/niece was discarded by any company in this manner after seeking help mental health issues, would you agree to such treatment?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There will always be differing opinions about any particular footballer's skills, attributes and what they bring to the side they play for but ask yourself this simple question, if your son/daughter, nephew/niece was discarded by any company in this manner after seeking help mental health issues, would you agree to such treatment?

in what manner? the same as any other player? i would probably be ok with that.

So you think the club gave him a magic pill and it all went away?
I think it's more about Austin marking his territory

In the end he was delisted. Players get delisted every year at AFL clubs. Its a shock to us because he was clearly overated by the supporter base compared to where the club saw him. That doesnt mean it was a shock him.

Not sure what having mental health issues has to do with it. If he wasn't deemed good enough the club can't let that factor into their decision. It might impact how you communicate the decision and what support you provide in the aftermath but not the decision itself.

No parent would be happy with their kid getting delisted but that doesn't nessecarily mean the club has done the wrong thing.

I am disappointed because I thought there were a few players ahead of Liam that should have been delisted before him - but the club clearly have Boyd ahead of him as a small defender and we all know how hard it is to break into this midfield.

His fitness and skills unfortunately didn't match his character and aggression on the field.

Not sure I would want my son/daughter, nephew/niece getting special treatment either.
It's okay to provide support (possibly even ongoing after the delisting) and some empathy, but unless the mental health issues were caused by the company, that person's issues aren't the company's issues, as harsh as that might sound.

I don't agree with the decision based on what little information I have, but there's been comments around (some by people who might have a better idea than you or me) that perhaps his commitment wasn't up to scratch and he was rubbing other players up the wrong way. I don't want to presume those things to be correct, but I mention them as a way of showing that we don't always have the full picture.

My point being, at both who quoted the original post, is that you have a young guy at 22 who has been brave enough to admit he hasn't quite adapted to the pressure of the lifestyle and he's been delisted.
He's had injury issues which haven't helped his endurance at AFL level.
Our defence is pretty average yet they delist a player that goes hard it?
People that say he hasn't delivered in the midfield aren't taking into account his lack of uninterrupted pre seasons or the lack of opportunity on a continuous basis.
What I'm saying is that the club has been half arsed in its efforts and it's more about Austin's ego

My point being, at both who quoted the original post, is that you have a young guy at 22 who has been brave enough to admit he hasn't quite adapted to the pressure of the lifestyle and he's been delisted.
People that say he hasn't delivered in the midfield aren't taking into account his lack of uninterrupted pre seasons or the lack of opportunity on a continuous basis.
What I'm saying is that the club has been half arsed in its efforts and it's more about Austin's ego

Agree with must of this…

Other than I think the Blues have an eye on someone or there was no need to let him go…

Fair enough you like him. I do too and was disappointed he was delisted but you've made a bunch of massive assumptions there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisted 13. Liam Stocker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back