Player Watch #13 Oliver Florent

Remove this Banner Ad

b3ebc66265ef6bd495af79a6160b9352

Oliver Florent
Young speedster Oliver Florent has become a crucial element of coach John Longmire’s team since the Sydney Swans secured him with their first selection at the 2016 AFL Draft. The Victorian has shown glimpses of exhilarating footy on a wing, most memorably when he jagged a runaway goal in Round 4, 2018 to seal a gripping victory for the Swans over the Bulldogs. But Florent, who’s also spent time on the inside of the contest, is determined to continue to grow his game as a hybrid midfielder in 2020.

Oliver Florent
DOB: 22 July 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #11, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Mentone Grammar (Vic)/Sandringham U18

He is a turnover merchant, 1st kick of the night from memory made it on the bounce to our player wide open and not under pressure. He failed as a fwd, wing and mid, now a rebounding defender where kicking is critical. He's had an incredible arm chair ride and looks well set to continue it on mysteriously. I'd trade him in a heartbeat.
He's very slightly above Blakey and Lloyd in average turnovers, like an extra turnover every 3 games. Actually compares similarly with Gulden, even accounting for Gulden's extra 4 disposals per game (extra 1.3 turnovers).

Sure, but Blakey is good for a woeful turn over a match. Plenty of players are. But honest to god most of your posts are about how much you want Florent gone. What else is it you don't like?
He is a turnover merchant, 1st kick of the night from memory made it on the bounce to our player wide open and not under pressure. He failed as a fwd, wing and mid, now a rebounding defender where kicking is critical. He's had an incredible arm chair ride and looks well set to continue it on mysteriously. I'd trade him in a heartbeat.

Sure, but Blakey is good for a woeful turn over a match. Plenty of players are. But honest to god most of your posts are about how much you want Florent gone. What else is it you don't like?
It's his kicking that hinders us and decision making, it appears we are doggedly determined to put games into him by virtue he was a first rounder and so many others have been busts over the years, no different to Stephens. When Fox after the granny was squeezed out of our back 6 and we are playing Florent there it's baffling to me.

It's his kicking that hinders us and decision making, it appears we are doggedly determined to put games into him by virtue he was a first rounder and so many others have been busts over the years, no different to Stephens. When Fox after the granny was squeezed out of our back 6 and we are playing Florent there it's baffling to me.
yeah, but it seems most things about florent baffle you ... you see him differently to almost every other regular poster on here
i have never rated jake lloyd as highly as many on here, but i can see his benefits to the team despite the regular mistakes ... and every player makes mistakes
but you concede florent nothing at all
he is so far from the d-grader you seem to think, he's a genuine class footballer, he'll finish top three or four in the skilton medal this season, has been consistently one our better players for longer than that and, if this year is a guide, he's still improving

Last edited:
From my perspective he's had a great year, and one of few who's actually improved on last year. He seems far more settled in his role and is far better at defending this year. He can be off with his field kicking at times but I wouldn't say it's any worse than what Fox, Blakey and Lloyd do at times.

And when he does get it right he very frequently chooses the best option going forward, he's got a good burst of pace and looks very balanced.

did he even fly to melbourne? invisible game
Story of the second half of this year IMO. After such a promising start to the season for Florent it's been more of the same since.

Is it possible that he's one of those players who just doesn't have 15-20 good games in him across an entire season? We know he can play and he's got talent but it's just so sporadic and there are games that seem catered to his style yet he struggles to impact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Story of the second half of this year IMO. After such a promising start to the season for Florent it's been more of the same since.

Is it possible that he's one of those players who just doesn't have 15-20 good games in him across an entire season? We know he can play and he's got talent but it's just so sporadic and there are games that seem catered to his style yet he struggles to impact.
Welcome aboard, there's room for two.

While he did fade later in the season I feel like he improved his defensive work a lot, and that was one part of his game that was pretty consistent all year.

Welcome aboard, there's room for two.

As someone who was hyper critical of his kicking when he was a midfielder (I'm sure there's double digit posts of me whinging about his kicking in this thread over the years), even I will concede he has much improved since moving to defense. Weirdly, I think he is a far more reliable player as a defender even if that means he has a lesser impact overall.
When he was a mid he used to drive me nuts cause every targeted kick inside 50 would hit the forward's toes.

As someone who was hyper critical of his kicking when he was a midfielder (I'm sure there's double digit posts of me whinging about his kicking in this thread over the years), even I will concede he has much improved since moving to defense. Weirdly, I think he is a far more reliable player as a defender even if that means he has a lesser impact overall.
When he was a mid he used to drive me nuts cause every targeted kick inside 50 would hit the forward's toes.
Spot on, had the worst recorded forward 50 entry efficiency in statistical history according to Champion data. As a lock down defender with no other role, I could live with, but I've seen him take kick ins and be used as a rebounder. Johanisen from WB was dropped for inefficient disposal from the back half, Florent has more lives than a cat.

Last edited:
I feel like his strongest matches are generally when Blakey gets heavily marked or tagged. It allows him so much more space to fill that rebound role.
He might not have the line breaking pace of Blakey but his evasive running can do the same sort of thing. If he can work on his disposal by foot in the off season then he could give teams a real headache about who to tag coming out of the back half. Blakey, Lloyd or Florent.

I feel like his strongest matches are generally when Blakey gets heavily marked or tagged. It allows him so much more space to fill that rebound role.
He might not have the line breaking pace of Blakey but his evasive running can do the same sort of thing. If he can work on his disposal by foot in the off season then he could give teams a real headache about who to tag coming out of the back half. Blakey, Lloyd or Florent.
Lloyd isn't physically hard to tag but he runs very smart lines between players with great timing. This is his best strength. Blakey is a bit of that plus a Ferrari. Ollie isn't on the same page as either. You don't want to be evading tackles 30m out from goal. Disaster awaits and it has happened a few times with Ollie. It's better if he receives further upfield in the clear.

Lloyd isn't physically hard to tag but he runs very smart lines between players with great timing. This is his best strength. Blakey is a bit of that plus a Ferrari. Ollie isn't on the same page as either. You don't want to be evading tackles 30m out from goal. Disaster awaits and it has happened a few times with Ollie. It's better if he receives further upfield in the clear.
That's fair about not wanting him to be evading tackles 50m from goal but also irrelevant, I am talking about when he makes runs from the 50m arc and through the mids. Similarly to how Blakey starts those runs of his from around the 50m arc. If any player is trying to start a rebound 50 at 30m from the goal they should either be well in the clear or not doing it.
I guess you are right that he's not on the same level as those two however he's the next best option imo for us coming out of defense looking to rebound.

Florent is significantly better than both.

Maybe better than Stephens but his stats compared to JMac this year pretty much has them equal

Except Jmac is 2 years younger and has half the number of AFL games. Ollie is 25 entering his peak years and butchered almsot every kick in the match against Carlton

Florent almost has 150 yep 150 afl games under his belt and he still plays like hes in his 2nd or 3rd year

Maybe better than Stephens but his stats compared to JMac this year pretty much has them equal

Except Jmac is 2 years younger and has half the number of AFL games. Ollie is 25 entering his peak years and butchered almsot every kick in the match against Carlton

Florent almost has 150 yep 150 afl games under his belt and he still plays like hes in his 2nd or 3rd year
JMac needs to play in defence, he was outstanding against Essendon, he won multiple contests outnumbered somehow.

I don’t know that we are getting the best out of Florent in defence. Jmac should take Ollie’s spot.

Wasn’t a natural wingman or midfielder.

Potentially Florent May be better suited forward, similar to what Darcy Byrne Jones does for Port?

Or left field option, trade?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back