Player Watch #13 Oliver Florent

Remove this Banner Ad

b3ebc66265ef6bd495af79a6160b9352

Oliver Florent
Young speedster Oliver Florent has become a crucial element of coach John Longmire’s team since the Sydney Swans secured him with their first selection at the 2016 AFL Draft. The Victorian has shown glimpses of exhilarating footy on a wing, most memorably when he jagged a runaway goal in Round 4, 2018 to seal a gripping victory for the Swans over the Bulldogs. But Florent, who’s also spent time on the inside of the contest, is determined to continue to grow his game as a hybrid midfielder in 2020.

Oliver Florent
DOB: 22 July 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #11, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Mentone Grammar (Vic)/Sandringham U18

Iirc Ollie shouldered much of the run and carry from the backline responsibility in the first half of and Blakey took over in the second half the season. Have no idea whether this was because he was carrying some some sort of injury or whether he was asked to take on a more defensive role.
I think Blakey was asked to play more of a Key Defensive role due to all the injuries in the 1st half, and therefore Florent shouldered more of the running rebound..

When our 2 x KPDs are playing and in good form, having Blakey and Florent running of half back is a nightmare for the opposition

I think Blakey was asked to play more of a Key Defensive role due to all the injuries in the 1st half, and therefore Florent shouldered more of the running rebound..

When our 2 x KPDs are playing and in good form, having Blakey and Florent running of half back is a nightmare for the opposition
Ollie is THE best player weaving through traffic in D50. His decision making is elite. He hits targets or gets the ball going where we need it.

Moving him on or trading him (our choice) is nonsense.

It's just a question of what we should be offering in terms of a contract. I think he is worth a longish term deal on above average money, but nothing excessive.

If another team wants to come along and pay him like he is an A-grader, he is not the kind of player you get into a bidding war over.

Moving him on or trading him (our choice) is nonsense.

It's just a question of what we should be offering in terms of a contract. I think he is worth a longish term deal on above average money, but nothing excessive.

If another team wants to come along and pay him like he is an A-grader, he is not the kind of player you get into a bidding war over.
Average wage at best in my opinion, he's immediately replaceable in every position he plays on any given block of weeks Longmire plays him in.

If a team wants to pay up, good luck to him.

Average wage at best in my opinion, he's immediately replaceable in every position he plays on any given block of weeks Longmire plays him in.

If a team wants to pay up, good luck to him.
Well whatever the 12th - 15th highest paid player at the club gets paid, I think he is around that mark.

I don't think he is going anywhere. We need him. He needs us. All is good.
It kind of works for both parties, can't see any team wanting to target him, just North have runs on the board for silly stuff like Polec a few years back.

Florent is kind of a younger Cunningham for us. I remember a year or two ago Cunningham was out of the team in preseason it seemed and then a late injury got him a call up.

Our 22 will be so tough to pick if all are fit in 2024, there's going to be a very capable sub most weeks.

It kind of works for both parties, can't see any team wanting to target him, just North have runs on the board for silly stuff like Polec a few years back.

Florent is kind of a younger Cunningham for us. I remember a year or two ago Cunningham was out of the team in preseason it seemed and then a late injury got him a call up.

Our 22 will be so tough to pick if all are fit in 2024, there's going to be a very capable sub most weeks.
Florent is more skillful and often takes the right options. You can't lay a hand on Florent in traffic and delivers good ball.
Cunningham has real pace and closing speed and footy nous. You can't fool Cunningham and can rarely evade him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only 62 years ago there 🤔

Laat time a non- mind was 03/06 Goodes and that is touch and go positionally

Before that was Scott Wynd in '92

It was a bit of a surprise result when James won iirc. Damned useful player nonetheless.

Iirc, Wanganeen spent more time in the back pocket.
He had an attacking approach from defence. For mine, similar to the attacking defenders / half backs in the modern game.

There are not many examples, mostly midfielders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back