Player Watch #13 Oliver Florent

Remove this Banner Ad

b3ebc66265ef6bd495af79a6160b9352

Oliver Florent
Young speedster Oliver Florent has become a crucial element of coach John Longmire’s team since the Sydney Swans secured him with their first selection at the 2016 AFL Draft. The Victorian has shown glimpses of exhilarating footy on a wing, most memorably when he jagged a runaway goal in Round 4, 2018 to seal a gripping victory for the Swans over the Bulldogs. But Florent, who’s also spent time on the inside of the contest, is determined to continue to grow his game as a hybrid midfielder in 2020.

Oliver Florent
DOB: 22 July 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #11, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Mentone Grammar (Vic)/Sandringham U18

But you do? Regularly? Of the inner workings of every multi million dollar deal that gets mentioned on here and is in reality discussed between actual professionals in strict confidence?
Not the figures at all , no one apart from a few should anyway , most in the media would guess as it's all content for them

Agree with both you and bedders here.

I can see how bedford's source might've been accurate at the time. Things can change very quickly in footy. Prior to the first bye, Hayward looked very ordinary and was never going to be made a priority signing over some of the others (and still wouldn't be IMO.) Since then, he's played well, so the circumstances have changed, and the club's seemingly been flexible with that. I suspect if the club dug their heels in on any position, good or bad, on Hayward without seeing how his year actually played out then that would be pretty irresponsible.

However I think this is probably why the view of "sources" shouldn't be treated as gospel. Or, if their scoop is relayed publicly, it should be followed by an addendum such as "for now" or "at the moment." ie. "Hayward's on the outs at the moment" or "Club's not budging on Hayward talks for now."

I was half shit stirring , Just noticed at times we get I told you so and so would happen, Eg Mccartin will play, so why are you discussing it, but turns out these sources aren't always right.

I am sure the odd whisper gets out, but I also doubt sydney are leaking contract info out so easily and if they are they probably don't want it leaked onto bigfooty 🤣.

Or i am just being petty after the Mccartin victory lap.

I was half shit stirring , Just noticed at times we get I told you so and so would happen, Eg Mccartin will play, so why are you discussing it, but turns out these sources aren't always right.

I am sure the odd whisper gets out, but I also doubt sydney are leaking contract info out so easily and if they are they probably don't want it leaked onto bigfooty 🤣.

If McCartin was out, we'd just bring in Darcy Moore... he was signed, sealed and delivered a couple of years back :rolleyes:

I've told you in private about Tom , so don't be a silly sausage

I hope Longmire reads BF

What on earth has happened to this bloke. Absolutely stunned to see he's averaging career highs in disposals and rebounds because his impact seems to be non-existent.

I've been a fan since day one, but he's gone backwards when he should be settled and hitting his prime.

I forgot he was playing yesterday , didn't turn it over as much. But surprised he got 21 touches

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was everywhere last night

Honestly think he would work best in Wicks’ role as a pressure small forward

Done his apprenticeship in the backline so knows how to defend

Is honestly a really accurate shot

Fumbles arent as costly

Was everywhere last night

Honestly think he would work best in Wicks’ role as a pressure small forward

Done his apprenticeship in the backline so knows how to defend

Is honestly a really accurate shot

Fumbles arent as costly
Not the worst idea. He can look to Zac Williams for inspiration who most probably is a similar sort if player who's bounced around on ball, wing, running defender and now small forward.

I think we looked good with Florent on the wing and Mills in defence.

Florent seems capable of brilliant attacking moments so it gives him some freedom and his mistakes don't get punished as much. And because Florent has played so much in defence, he is still very capable of performing as a defensive winger dropping back to help his defenders. Or rotating into the defence.

Last edited:
I thought people were in jest. I can't believe the criticism here! Consistently top 10 in our B&F. Has had another good year as far as I can tell. Expect him to be top 10 again.

However, I don't mind the suggestions of trialling him in different positions because he's versatile and his skills could work well in other parts of the ground.

I thought people were in jest. I can't believe the criticism here! Consistently top 10 in our B&F. Has had another good year as far as I can tell. Expect him to be top 10 again.

However, I don't mind the suggestions of trialling him in different positions because he's versatile and his skills could work well in other parts of the ground.

florent's a great player ... often a scapegoat on this board because he's left to try to make amends for others' mistakes, or is trying to take the game on, something i'm always in favour of ... but when it goes wrong in defence it looks worse (same with blakey)

With his evasive skills I have often wondered how he would go in the forward pocket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #13 Oliver Florent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back