Player Watch #13 Oliver Florent

Remove this Banner Ad

b3ebc66265ef6bd495af79a6160b9352

Oliver Florent
Young speedster Oliver Florent has become a crucial element of coach John Longmire’s team since the Sydney Swans secured him with their first selection at the 2016 AFL Draft. The Victorian has shown glimpses of exhilarating footy on a wing, most memorably when he jagged a runaway goal in Round 4, 2018 to seal a gripping victory for the Swans over the Bulldogs. But Florent, who’s also spent time on the inside of the contest, is determined to continue to grow his game as a hybrid midfielder in 2020.

Oliver Florent
DOB: 22 July 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #11, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Mentone Grammar (Vic)/Sandringham U18

I thought people were in jest. I can't believe the criticism here! Consistently top 10 in our B&F. Has had another good year as far as I can tell. Expect him to be top 10 again.

However, I don't mind the suggestions of trialling him in different positions because he's versatile and his skills could work well in other parts of the ground.
He's absolutely turned it around but his mid-season form was diabolical. Unsure with the footy and a turnstile in defence.

I've been a massive fan since day 1 as my post history will attest so he never been a whipping boy from my perspective.

He's absolutely turned it around but his mid-season form was diabolical. Unsure with the footy and a turnstile in defence.

I've been a massive fan since day 1 as my post history will attest so he never been a whipping boy from my perspective.
Think much like we are saying with Campbell, OFlo just needs to get more up the field. I personally think a wing rotation of Errol, McInerney and Florent is quality and it would also allow the back 7 to be 3 KPDs Blakey Mills Roberts & Cunningham

With McInerney out, Roberts going well and Mills needed in defence I think there's a role for him between wing and half forward.
Gulden and Lloyd are both high ToG players so there are not a big number of wing minutes needed. With JJ notionally half forward but actually most likely running with a gun midfielder there should be minutes to be shared between Papley (assuming he's fit 🤞), Hayward, Parker and Adams when they're on the bench.
He would be a more attacking option than Fox.

He's looked so much better coming up the ground a bit. Not a guy you want last line deep defence, where he started getting exposed as our form dropped, had some very shaky moments down there. A bit higher up the ground and playing off the flanks these last 2.5 games however he's definitely helped get some of that run back into our game.
If there's one trick he has got that not many do it's those little ankle breaker steps to get around opponents.

He's looked so much better coming up the ground a bit. Not a guy you want last line deep defence, where he started getting exposed as our form dropped, had some very shaky moments down there. A bit higher up the ground and playing off the flanks these last 2.5 games however he's definitely helped get some of that run back into our game.
If there's one trick he has got that not many do it's those little ankle breaker steps to get around opponents.
Like him as a player and he's coming good at the right time although he is prone to ball handling errors at the wrong time.

He’s a strange case, is our Ollie. He’s been a pretty core part of our back half for a while now, and at around the halfway mark of the season he was being lauded as the top ground ball rebounder from defence across the league.

But I think it must be mentally taxing playing as a defender, where your mistakes tend to be more obviously punished (even though the cost really isn’t much different to a forward fluffing a shot at goal). He certainly seems to be relishing the mental escape from our backline right now. But arguably he’s playing the role that JMac was playing before his injury. How does that work if JMac returns?

Last edited:
He’s a strange case, is our Ollie. He’s been a pretty core part of our back half for a while now, and at around the halfway mark of the season he was being lauded as the top ground ball rebounder from defence across the league.

But I think it must be mentally taxing playing as a defender, where your mistakes tend to be more obviously punished (even though the cost really isn’t much different to a forward fluffing a shot at goal). He certainly seems to be relishing the mental escape from our backline right now. But arguably he’s playing the role that JMac was playing before his injury. How does that work if JMac returns?

he plays wicks' pressure forward role and is a pretty good kick for goal if he manages to get a shot

He is much better near goals. Probably our best set shot along with Campbell and Paps. Roberts being a very effective half back and elite disposer of the footy allows for his move forward.It is quite an opportunity for an upgrade.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

I commented this in the preview thread, but if you look at the two main facets of being a wingman - providing run & rebound from the defensive 50, and distributing and attacking towards our inside 50 - I think McInerney can do both really well. If we have to push him a little deeper to defence, so he wins more ball in the back half than in the front, to allow the likes of Florent & Campbell who have really flourished in the front half to play there, then I'd say that's overall a net positive.

With Roberts & Mills reinforcing our defence, Gulden & Lloyd the staples (crazy to be calling a 22 year old a staple lol) on the wing, it's really our front half and fitting the pieces in that we need to look towards. Florent's skills are handy there, but he could also bring some much-needed pressure around the arc. He's quick enough and strong enough now, but can he adapt to that role? TBD I guess...

Youtube randomly showed me this first video and I fell down the player highlights rabbit hole.

I hope that Florent spends the pre-season working on the defensive side of his game - tackling, chasing, pressuring, generally being hard and desperate - so that he can combine it with all the speed and evasiveness and scoreboard impact in these videos and play as a forward for us next year.

(They are being very generous with some of the "highlights" in that second video.)

Last edited:
Youtube randomly showed me this first video and I fell down the player highlights rabbit hole.

I hope that Florent spends the pre-season working on the defensive side of his game - tackling, chasing, pressuring, generally being hard and desperate - so that he can combine it with all the speed and evasiveness and scoreboard impact in these videos and play as a forward for us next year.

(They are being very generous with some of the "highlights" in that second video.)

I will be very happy when Florent, Lloyd and Campbell are not playing in defence. Not to say they have no value or are not useful but IMO they are not and never have been defenders.
I am really hopeful that by the end of next season Edwards and Snell have progressed enough to be in our back 7.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will be very happy when Florent, Lloyd and Campbell are not playing in defence. Not to say they have no value or are not useful but IMO they are not and never have been defenders.
I am really hopeful that by the end of next season Edwards and Snell have progressed enough to be in our back 7.
Campbell is a small/marking forward, Florent is a wing and Lloyd is probably about to fall off a cliff in terms of ability.

Back 6 +1 should be
Roberts McCartin Rampe
Blakey Melican Cunningham

Mills or if we believe Mills is an on baller then its probably 1 more year of Lloyd before Carmichael comes through

Campbell is a small/marking forward, Florent is a wing and Lloyd is probably about to fall off a cliff in terms of ability.

Back 6 +1 should be
Roberts McCartin Rampe
Blakey Melican Cunningham

Mills or if we believe Mills is an on baller then its probably 1 more year of Lloyd before Carmichael comes through
For 1 so young , what a footy nous

I’m not sure he is capable but from a team balance perspective it would be amazing if Florent could step up to play the defensive role Mills plays when Mills plays back.

This would allow Mills to play mid, mean we have one less winger, and retain pace and creative ball use in our backline.

Huge question though is whether Florent can become a solid enough defender.

I’m not sure he is capable but from a team balance perspective it would be amazing if Florent could step up to play the defensive role Mills plays when Mills plays back.

This would allow Mills to play mid, mean we have one less winger, and retain pace and creative ball use in our backline.

Huge question though is whether Florent can become a solid enough defender.
I feel like defending in the back-line and forward line are two very different disciplines though*. Sam Wicks does not do what Harry Cunningham does and Harry Cunningham does not do what Sam Wicks does. Back-line defending is more blocking at stoppages, contesting 1v1s, etc.. Forward line defending is more chasing, tackling, harassing, etc. I think Florent is a lot more suited to the latter than the former because he has more speed and agility than he does strength or hardness (though he is certainly not soft and can develop this side of his game further, as I mentioned above ^)

*the exception being guys who are doing hard lockdown jobs on defenders like Jordon and Hayward sometimes do.

I feel like defending in the back-line and forward line are two very different disciplines though*. Sam Wicks does not do what Harry Cunningham does and Harry Cunningham does not do what Sam Wicks does. Back-line defending is more blocking at stoppages, contesting 1v1s, etc.. Forward line defending is more chasing, tackling, harassing, etc. I think Florent is a lot more suited to the latter than the former because he has more speed and agility than he does strength or hardness (though he is certainly not soft and can develop this side of his game further, as I mentioned above ^)

*the exception being guys who are doing hard lockdown jobs on defenders like Jordon and Hayward sometimes do.
100% correct about the difference between backline and forward line defence BUT zone defence is something in between.
Harry is one of our best one-on-one defenders if not the best.
I too would be interested in seeing how Florent would go in a negating role (or an attacking role for that matter) at HHF.
Don't want to see Lloyd back in defence unless absolutely desperate. We still have Fox. I'd prefer to give Snell a crack if we needed to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #13 Oliver Florent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back