Player Watch #14 Callum Mills (c)

Remove this Banner Ad

Callum_Mills_2017.4.jpg

Callum Mills

Callum Mills is one of the best young players in the AFL. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy graduate won the 2016 AFL Rising Star award and was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in three of his four eligible years. Mills is a small defender with uncompromising courage who’s also capable of shifting through the midfield. The New South Welshman was elevated to Sydney’s leadership group during the 2018 pre-season at the age of just 21, and he’s now a member of a five-man leadership panel alongside co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Lance Franklin.

Callum Mills
DOB: 02 April 1997
DEBUT: 2016
DRAFT: #3, 2015 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: North Shore (NSW)

Getting better and better with every game and our defence looks so much more composed.

was smart to play him in the 1’s. Will be peaking at the right time.
His, Melican's, Cunningham's and Roberts' steadiness takes quite a lot of pressure off Rampe. I know we gave up a few goals playing a bit bruise free but we looked not too bad I thought.
We'll need to do a bit more homework on the fast leading forwards as Thilthorpe troubled us.

Provides a lot of structural and leadership benefits playing in defense. His decision making in general play was elite last night.

A few of our scoring chains began with his kicks into the corridor and his workrate to run into space to get involved; the captain is back!
Love him in defenCe

Absolutely loved watching he & Roberts in action. Worked together so nicely and it was hard to believe they were two guys who had only played about two games in the same back six.

Lloyd, Florent, Blakey, Rampe etc were also important but those two in particular felt so lethal in setting up our rebounds all night, albeit only against Adelaide.

Millsy's last 2 weeks:
Disposals: 27/26 Intercept possessions: 7/10 Score involvements 8/5 R50s: 5/6

All the focus on Parker, but this guy in defence could be the big story of the finals.
We all knocked the coaches for bringing him straight back - myself included, maybe they have a better idea on these things than us keyboard warriors.

Whodathunkit????

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We all knocked the coaches for bringing him straight back - myself included, maybe they have a better idea on these things than us keyboard warriors.

Whodathunkit????
I mean they did throw him straight into the midfield/wing when we were all crying out for him to go straight to defence (to account for for form as well as not ruining the midfield synergy).

We also had a couple of shocking performances in which Mills was very poor whilst trying to sure up a top 2 position. I still think he definitely should've had at least one game in the VFL, even in hindsight. At the least he should've been in defence to begin with.

I mean they did throw him straight into the midfield/wing when we were all crying out for him to go straight to defence (to account for for form as well as not ruining the midfield synergy).

We also had a couple of shocking performances in which Mills was very poor whilst trying to sure up a top 2 position. I still think he definitely should've had at least one game in the VFL, even in hindsight. At the least he should've been in defence to begin with.
I don't know, with the benefit of hindsight I think maybe they thought he'd get up to speed quicker by coming straight back into seniors and with the gap we had, it wasn't really a bad idea. If he had come back strongly we would have all been applauding the decision.
I don't think any of us expected him to be as poor as he was the first few games.

Millsy's last 2 weeks:
Disposals: 27/26 Intercept possessions: 7/10 Score involvements 8/5 R50s: 5/6

All the focus on Parker, but this guy in defence could be the big story of the finals.
OK, this possibly didn't age well - let's take the coach at his word that he was crook, but geez he had me screaming at various points on Saturday. Just some terrible decision-making and him having the Jones match up at any point just looked wrong.

Did get better as the night got on and some of his kicking was elite - but his defensive work has got to be better and he has to be one of those guys to get our running game going.

OK, this possibly didn't age well - let's take the coach at his word that he was crook, but geez he had me screaming at various points on Saturday. Just some terrible decision-making and him having the Jones match up at any point just looked wrong.

Did get better as the night got on and some of his kicking was elite - but his defensive work has got to be better and he has to be one of those guys to get our running game going.
To be fair, I thought he and Roberts were the keys in getting that running game going against the Crows in round 24.

But it was only against Adelaide.

Tough to judge his game if he was sick. The hope is he knows he wasn't good enough and is out to make up for it next time up.

Either way I thought his third quarter was pretty good , not sure what some were watching .

I mean suggesting he would be in the 2s is just plain nonsense.

IMG_1218.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #14 Callum Mills (c)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back