Player Watch #14 Callum Mills (c)

Remove this Banner Ad

Callum_Mills_2017.4.jpg

Callum Mills

Callum Mills is one of the best young players in the AFL. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy graduate won the 2016 AFL Rising Star award and was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in three of his four eligible years. Mills is a small defender with uncompromising courage who’s also capable of shifting through the midfield. The New South Welshman was elevated to Sydney’s leadership group during the 2018 pre-season at the age of just 21, and he’s now a member of a five-man leadership panel alongside co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Lance Franklin.

Callum Mills
DOB: 02 April 1997
DEBUT: 2016
DRAFT: #3, 2015 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: North Shore (NSW)

I can't imagine how hard it would be to play with gastro.
Back in the 1980s Rob De Castella won the Rotterdam marathon.
It was covered by channel 7 and post race he was interviewed by Bruce McAveney.

"So Deek I noticed you were using the sponge to cool your hamstrings"
"Eh no Bruce I had diarrhea"

Cue awkward silence.

As another poster (Pistol Night) very cleverly coined it;
Sponge Rob Squirt Pants

To be fair, I thought he and Roberts were the keys in getting that running game going against the Crows in round 24.

But it was only against Adelaide.

Tough to judge his game if he was sick. The hope is he knows he wasn't good enough and is out to make up for it next time up.
Had 11 in the 3rd

I think Mills off-field leadership may be somewhat underrated.

Earlier in the thread I mentioned how he got our (then) off contract players in Rowbottom, Gulden, Florent, Hayward and McDonald together for a meal to talk about their futures and that of the team's.

Of course all now signed up.

On the weekend he got the players into a huddle out on the ground, immediately after the match, and as Errol says (from Foxsports) '...it was
to praise the efforts of young Campbell.

“To have that moment with him where Callum Mills singled him out and said ‘mate, that could be one of the best quarters we see’, that was really special for him,”

Special for Braeden, but amidst the euphoria I reckon a fine bit of captaincy/mateship from Mills as well.

I think Mills off-field leadership may be somewhat underrated.

Earlier in the thread I mentioned how he got our (then) off contract players in Rowbottom, Gulden, Florent, Hayward and McDonald together for a meal to talk about their futures and that of the team's.

Of course all now signed up.

On the weekend he got the players into a huddle out on the ground, immediately after the match, and as Errol says (from Foxsports) '...it was
to praise the efforts of young Campbell.

“To have that moment with him where Callum Mills singled him out and said ‘mate, that could be one of the best quarters we see’, that was really special for him,”

Special for Braeden, but amidst the euphoria I reckon a fine bit of captaincy/mateship from Mills as well.
Possibly just the kind of thing that Campbell needs to encourage him to keep cracking in, especially if all the boys back up what Mills says, which I'm sure they would.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Mills had a few ordinary moments, but wasn't aware he was playing unwell. It surely would have taken his performance down a few %, so hopefully he can rebound and have an impact next natch because he has really started to turn the corner performance wise in the last couple of games. He'll be better for the run. I hope he plays a cracker next game.

Sad but yep, has to be end of season for him.
Anything else would be risky and even a bit selfish. Can’t see him doing a Reid … not as our captain. 21 usual minimum for a hammy
Sorry, I disagree with everything but the sad and the usually 21 days...

Every team in the finals will be taking a 'risky' player in with them, selfish is not part of the equation for Reid, Macca or Mills (but especially Reid), and has nothing to do with him being captain...

I hope he can get back and we win the whole f ing thing

Unfortunately I think he’ll be celebrating from the sidelines. He has 2 and a half weeks to get it right and it’s also a massive risk. I don’t agree with the people saying he won’t be missed much, having him back there even if his form is down is still a huge chunk of experience.

Not the worst player for us to lose but still a blow. I think we win the prelim either way but the grand final will be more difficult without him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Such a frustrating season for Cal. Now a distraction we didn't need. Media are going to love this one IF we make it to GF week. I hope we don't make it a circus

Be interesting if they just rule him out for the year or not

Unfortunately I think he’ll be celebrating from the sidelines. He has 2 and a half weeks to get it right and it’s also a massive risk. I don’t agree with the people saying he won’t be missed much, having him back there even if his form is down is still a huge chunk of experience.

Not the worst player for us to lose but still a blow. I think we win the prelim either way but the grand final will be more difficult without him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, but I still would love him to perform a miracle and be fit and perform and get to hold the cup .

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #14 Callum Mills (c)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back