Player Watch #14 Callum Mills (c)

Remove this Banner Ad

Callum_Mills_2017.4.jpg

Callum Mills

Callum Mills is one of the best young players in the AFL. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy graduate won the 2016 AFL Rising Star award and was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in three of his four eligible years. Mills is a small defender with uncompromising courage who’s also capable of shifting through the midfield. The New South Welshman was elevated to Sydney’s leadership group during the 2018 pre-season at the age of just 21, and he’s now a member of a five-man leadership panel alongside co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Lance Franklin.

Callum Mills
DOB: 02 April 1997
DEBUT: 2016
DRAFT: #3, 2015 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: North Shore (NSW)

Sad but yep, has to be end of season for him.
Anything else would be risky and even a bit selfish. Can’t see him doing a Reid … not as our captain. 21 usual minimum for a hammy
Captain or not, every player in that position will always take the selfish route of lying their way into a possible premiership side.

Phil Davis to this day swears through his teeth that he was fine to play in 2019 even though the bloke could barely walk in the pregame warm up. I remember when the decision was made after that warm up I was like wow you can't be serious.

It's just human nature. Callum will declare himself fit even though you can take it to the bank that he won't be feeling 100%. Calling it now. If we make it through watch him have a shocker.

Captain or not, every player in that position will always take the selfish route of lying their way into a possible premiership side.

Phil Davis to this day swears through his teeth that he was fine to play in 2019 even though the bloke could barely walk in the pregame warm up. I remember when the decision was made after that warm up I was like wow you can't be serious.

It's just human nature. Callum will declare himself fit even though you can take it to the bank that he won't be feeling 100%. Calling it now. If we make it through watch him have a shocker.

That why the match committee need to be strong on these calls.

Not saying Pick Callum, but for every bad story eg Reid in 22 is a Richards , Rioli , Lappin who played hurt and was a hero and the side won. If it works the coach is a genius , but we have been burnt a bit . So surely we have learnt a lesson, but then we did play with niggles week 1.

That why the match committee need to be strong on these calls.

Not saying Pick Callum, but for every bad story eg Reid in 22 is a Richards , Rioli , Lappin who played hurt and was a hero and the side won. If it works the coach is a genius , but we have been burnt a bit . So surely we have learnt a lesson, but then we did play with niggles week 1.

Virtually impossible to play finals without niggles. Every team would have a handful of players who are banged up and may not have played it it wasn’t a final. Every team.

Some supporters need to make peace with the fact that AFL teams will keep risking it all by selecting injured players in big games. We may have lost against the Giants without Amartey at the end who played with a stuffed ankle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love Callum Mills as a player and a leader of our club. You only need to go through any of my posts to see that I'm as big a fan of him as anyone.

However Mills is becoming the living embodiment of "it's always something with that one."

Since 2017 he's missed multiple games in every season except for 2019 & 2022. There was the gridiron injury that ruled him out for the season in 2018. There was the achilles injury that ruled him out for the 2021 season. There was the calf injury that stuffed up his season last year. The shoulder injury that kept him out for most of this season.

This is not to mention all the minor things along the way - the hand injury early last season, the calf strain obtained while returning from his shoulder this year, now this hamstring that will rule him out of a prelim final - among others.

I'm not necessarily blaming Mills for all of the above - though he no doubt holds some for a few of them. I'm just saying it is annoying. His best is great. His Rising Star-winning season as a 19 year old proved that. His 2021 shift into the midfield proved that. His entire 2022 season when he won the B&F in a grand final year proved that.

But the story of his career so far feels like we've spent more time waiting and hoping for Mills' best than we have actually seeing and enjoying it. The comparison is obviously Isaac Heeney, who was long a source of frustration as he infamously struggled with inconsistency often attributed to setbacks with his body. But at least Heeney has had 8 seasons of 20+ games to allow us to see plenty of his best, if sporadically and unreliably (prior to this season.)

So yeah. Sorry for the rant, not even sure what I am trying to say. Just frustrated. I bloody love Mills. I've been blessed that most of my favourite Swans players over the years have been remarkably durable and consistent. Mills is up there as a favourite of mine with this current crop, so it just sucks he's not had the same luck.

I love Callum Mills as a player and a leader of our club. You only need to go through any of my posts to see that I'm as big a fan of him as anyone.

However Mills is becoming the living embodiment of "it's always something with that one."

Since 2017 he's missed multiple games in every season except for 2019 & 2022. There was the gridiron injury that ruled him out for the season in 2018. There was the achilles injury that ruled him out for the 2021 season. There was the calf injury that stuffed up his season last year. The shoulder injury that kept him out for most of this season.

This is not to mention all the minor things along the way - the hand injury early last season, the calf strain obtained while returning from his shoulder this year, now this hamstring that will rule him out of a prelim final - among others.

I'm not necessarily blaming Mills for all of the above - though he no doubt holds some for a few of them. I'm just saying it is annoying. His best is great. His Rising Star-winning season as a 19 year old proved that. His 2021 shift into the midfield proved that. His entire 2022 season when he won the B&F in a grand final year proved that.

But the story of his career so far feels like we've spent more time waiting and hoping for Mills' best than we have actually seeing and enjoying it. The comparison is obviously Isaac Heeney, who was long a source of frustration as he infamously struggled with inconsistency often attributed to setbacks with his body. But at least Heeney has had 8 seasons of 20+ games to allow us to see plenty of his best, if sporadically and unreliably (prior to this season.)

So yeah. Sorry for the rant, not even sure what I am trying to say. Just frustrated. I bloody love Mills. I've been blessed that most of my favourite Swans players over the years have been remarkably durable and consistent. Mills is up there as a favourite of mine with this current crop, so it just sucks he's not had the same luck.
Wasn't Mills also out for his entire draft year?

I mentioned that he wasn't built for footy in the Mills thread a while back, and a copped it with people confused as to why i thought he wasn't durable. The guy has been perennially injured for as long as I can remember

Are we getting a touched carried away here , Mills is similar to two guys Heeney and Rampe in that since he started he has basically been best 22.

Since they started they have played the following % of possible games.

Rampe 87%
Heeney 84%
Mills. 78%

So yes he is last but it's not significantly miles away from two guys who would say are very durable. I know it's cherry picking but prior to this stupid year with the dumb accident (which as silly as it was was a freak occurrence not a body break down) Mills was at 85% of games played, so basically the same as Heeney.

So is it always something for Mills, or is he having a reasonably standard career. Admittedly Sydney are used to mid sized players (mids /defenders fwds) just always being available.

If he doesn't wrestle pre season he is about the same as everyone else . Papley is another at 87% for instance.

Millsy has, along with Parker, lived ‘The Bloods’ philosophy more than any other current player.

He deserves every opportunity - but if he can’t run a 110 metres hurdle - then he’s out IF we make a GF.

In todays footy..there is nowhere to hide.

Millsy has, along with Parker, lived ‘The Bloods’ philosophy more than any other current player.

He deserves every opportunity - but if he can’t run a 110 metres hurdle - then he’s out IF we make a GF.

In today’s footy..there is nowhere to hide.
Would you settle for jumping a chain fence ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #14 Callum Mills (c)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back