Delisted #15: Courtenay Dempsey - Delisted - 28/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 15. Courtenay Dempsey

I'm in your boat- I wasn't overly impressed with his game despite the early frenzy from the Hill. Like to see more of what he's supposed to have.

Was clearly rust with his disposal / decision making in the first half but showed some real class in the second half once he'd settled into it.

If fit will become one of the best running defenders / wingmen in the league.

#15 / Courtenay Dempsey

demp.jpg

Height / 186cm
Weight / 82kg
DOB / 28/8/1987 - 21, going on 22 y/o
Position / Half Back
Recruited From / #19 in 2005 National draft, from Morningside QLD
Contract Status / expires 2009
Injury History /
2008 / hamstring, shin splints/stress fractures, cracked fibula
2007 / hamstring x 5, elbow, groin
2006 / ankle, groin, leg

r19-gsp-17.jpg

Games / 10
Goals / 3
Brownlow Votes / 0

2008 average stats
Games / 4 *(was injured in the warm up for one game, and for most of another)
Kicks / 5.75
Handballs / 7.25
Disposals / 13.0
Marks / 3.0
Goals / 1.0
Tackles / 1.5
FF / 0.67
FA / 1.25

r1nab-gsp-15.jpg

Player Profiles​

essendonfc.com.au

Just when it seemed certain that Courtenay Dempsey would burst onto the AFL scene, injury struck twice in 2008 and denied the 21-year old his chance to shine. With speed to burn and a playing style which combines flair and hard running, Dempsey will be hungry to show fans just what he can do. Best suited to dashing off the half-back line, season 2009 could just be the year when Dempsey establishes himself as a young star of the competition. The Queenslander has now played 10-games and is entering his fourth season.​

Herald Sun​
Dempsey is a dashing half back flanker with tremendous pace. His body has failed him though playing just 10 games in his three years at the club. He made a strong start to last year with 20 disposals in Round 1, but was injured the following week, restricting him to just four games. He returned later on in the year and showed what he can add to the team accumulating 25 disposals and 14 handball-receives in Round 19. He will be a valuable contributor for the Bombers once he gets his body right his run-and-carry will become a valuable commodity to the team.​

what you are all forgetting is that he is not the one going around talking himself up and saying what a potential "STAR" he could be...
Maybe if he was the one saying that, then all of your opinions on "CD" showing his "SO CALLED" talent, then you can be so harsh on the young fella.

The media will write anything and over exagerate stories to sell them...

He obviously has some sort of special skill and that is why is he is playing AFL and you are all sitting on here talking about him and not out there on the field with him.

Is anyone else like me, in the sense that they really like Dempsey, really want him to have a killer year and want to talk him up to your mates, but just have a terrible feeling that injury will strike down upon him again? It's been a tedious couple of years with this bloke... everytime he's been out on the park I've liked what I've seen and honestly believe he could be one of the best running defenders in the league, lets just hope that the changes down at windy hill (re fitness staff) are on the right path. Good luck in 2009 Dempsey!

I've got a gut feeling he'll be fine this year. 19 games. Like many, i've been telling friends to watch out for him for a couple of years. As soon as his body gets sorted out he'll be at the least a good contributor. The gut isn't saying the same about Gumbleton's body unfortunately...

Apparently his torn hamstring was due to a highly intense pre-season last year.

He has reduced his workload a bit this year. As a result, he isn't quite as fit but his body should hold up.

Round 1 v Port Adelaide

Kicks / 5
Handballs / 5
Disposals / 10
Marks / 3
Tackles / 3
Goals / 1
Behinds / 0
Goal Assists / 0
Inside 50s / 1
Frees For / 0
Frees Against / 2
Efficiency / 100%
Time on Ground / 72%
Dream Team / 46

Hopefully we can see some improvement once he gets a few games under his belt. Good to see him on he park.

Dempsey worth the wait Sunday, 12 April 2009
for essendonfc.com.au
Page 1 of 1

r3nab-gsp-01-l.jpg

Injuries have made the start of Courtenay Dempsey's AFL career a frustrating one but last night most Essendon fans would agree it was worth the wait. Taken with selection 19 in the 2006 draft - a selection secured in the trade for Ted Richards - Dempsey has struggled to get his body right.

The frustration was that Essendon fans had seen glimpses of what Dempsey was capable of and they wanted more. Last night they got exactly that in front of more than 70,000 people, on football's biggest stage and against the Bombers' arch-enemy.

What Essendon fans would have been most excited about was the fact Dempsey saved his best for last. The final quarter was pulsating, fans hung on every passage of player but Dempsey was cool and calm in the heat of battle.

His first three-quarters netted him just 10 possessions but he kicked two important goals - both superb finishes from 40m out, one on the run, one from a set shot. In the final quarter he more than doubled that tally - collecting 11 possessions to take his match total to 21.

He was also a pivotal player in the final act of the game. With Carlton swarming towards goal, Paddy Ryder laid a critical tackle, the ball spilled free and Dempsey won it and under enormous pressure dished off a handball that saw Essendon clear the ball and repel the Blues final attack for the game.

Dempsey will have renewed confidence in his body and his ability to play the game at the highest level. Essendon fans have had their entree - now for the main course.

Link

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 2 v Fremantle

Kicks / 10
Handballs / 5
Disposals / 15
Marks / 4
Tackles / 0
Goals / 1
Behinds / 0
Goal Assists / 0
Inside 50s / 3
Frees For / 1
Frees Against / 0
Efficiency / 67%
Dream Team / 59

Round 3 v Carlton

Kicks / 14
Handballs / 7
Disposals / 21
Marks / 7
Tackles / 2
Goals / 2
Behinds / 1
Goal Assists / 0
Inside 50s / 5
Frees For / 0
Frees Against / 0
Efficiency / 81%
Dream Team / 98

Anyone else noticed the similarities between him and Wanganeen when he was at the bombers, i think this kid is going to be awesome, his run, along with lovett and winderlich is going to be very hard to counter

His composure over the last few weeks has picked up enormously.

Playing a few games in a row has done wonders for his confidence, he's looking very assured with the ball.

A very dangerous player and a very big part of our future.

Anyone else noticed the similarities between him and Wanganeen when he was at the bombers, i think this kid is going to be awesome, his run, along with lovett and winderlich is going to be very hard to counter

One thing he does similar to wanganeen is he rarely uses 5th and 6th gear. He cruises, just running fast enough to evade an opponent or get to a contest. He wound up a little on a run last week but you always felt he had more in the tank. i can't wait until somebody forces him to really unleash, the kid is lightning.

Playing with a level of maturity that I didn't think he had in him this year. I thought he'd be up and down like a yo yo in terms of performance but he's either playing well or doing the team things.

He seems very composed and regularly outbussles his opponent to get the ball.

While he didn't have a heap of stats on Saturday, the amount of times he backed into packs to spoil or create pressure was outstanding :thumbsu:

I wouldn't be too worried. He has formed a strong bond with a few of the other boys in the team like Davey, Ryder, NLM and Jetta. He will also feel inclined to repay the faith in which Essendon have showed in him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisted #15: Courtenay Dempsey - Delisted - 28/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back