Delisted #15: Courtenay Dempsey - Delisted - 28/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: #15: Courtenay Dempsey - "The form of his career" (Kong)

Agree with Kong. Have been critical of him in the past but really impressed with how he is going about it these days. His defensive efforts have improved dramitically and his disposal seems to have improved also.

Always loved the great man, he's looking great.

Another thing, he was one of the few guys for us not out on their knees at the end of the game.

For a guy that previously wouldn't complete a beep test, it's a massive, massive turnaround.
tbf no player has ever completed a beep test... haha but yeh, he is looking fitter than ever which is incredible coming off the knee, and as importantly, good to see he hasn't lost his pace

Is much better defensively and plays more respect to his direct opponent.

And the press suits his style of play with his ability to cover the ground, and therefore getting from contest to contest.

loved his game yesterday, our most polished performer i thought. skills were sensational which is something you probly wouldnt have said a year ago

My Best on Ground, simply because I thought he showed the most level-headedness, stability and confidence when there wasn't a whole heap going about. Almost marshaling the rest of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few years ago I posted something about Dempsey, questioning whether we should forget the 'Dempsey Dream'. Well, now I 100 % believe in the boy. How does he not get recognition in all they Bomber Hype. All I hear is Lonergan, Stanton, Watson, which is understandable, but Dempsey is just as important to the Essendon renaissance as any other.

He is the silkiest player on our list, best skills, best 1 on 1 defender, PURE CLASS. There is a Wanganeen style of Class about this Courtney at the moment.

I honestly believe that Dempsey is as crucial to any one on the list aside from Jobe. You only have to consider our fate last year after he went down as testament to that. In fact, in the 9 games he has played in 11/12 he has only lost one.

I think by the end of the season, if he remains fit, he could very well gain AA and be recognised as one of the absolute best, if not the best half back's in the game.

absolutely but fletch is the best one on one defender

Composure personified. Even when the pressure is intense and the chips are down. I don't think there's anyone else in the side who just looks so calm and collected.

The improvement in his defensive efforts has been about 50%.

It's simply incredible. A guy who refused to put in at training, who refused to run both ways, whose body language was pathetic.. Now he's one of the fittest, he's one of our best defenders, and he's an absolute team player.

Credit must go to both Hird and Dempsey.

The improvement in his defensive efforts has been about 50%.

It's simply incredible. A guy who refused to put in at training, who refused to run both ways, whose body language was pathetic.. Now he's one of the fittest, he's one of our best defenders, and he's an absolute team player.

Credit must go to both Hird and Dempsey.
So you agree with me now?

(btw I don't know if it's he wouldn't run both ways, as much as he wasn't challenged to. And he - with a good half-dozen others - certainly wasn't pushed hard enough on the track)

Not enough credit is given to his changed role, either. Knights simply didn't seem to want him to play close and defend, he saw him as a loose running defender and nothing more.

Dempsey may well be playing harder, tougher and smarter footy, but it's unfair to assume that he has changed 180 degrees when Knights never really put him in a position to demonstrate it before.

Think Kong is being harsh.

Dempsey's biggest issue was defensive accountability - And this seems to have been addressed - Think that the zone/press system helps his style of play.

Agree with what?

You saying he wasn't going to rebound out of defence?

No
I didn't really say that, did I?
I was saying Dempsey's added more defending to his game, his strengths now being harrassing and pressing and tackling, rather than the flat-out, one way rebounder that he used to be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisted #15: Courtenay Dempsey - Delisted - 28/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back