Player Watch #15: Jayden Short

Remove this Banner Ad

Where do you hide Shorty? he has been a massive liability...
He was questioned about being soft when he missed the Premiership in 2017.

Was great for a few years but has been horrible the last few years no dare, no great kicking.

I've been saying for years he needs to be played to his strengths. Seeing him repeatedly kick them post high off a step from 55m+ out says he needs to be played closer to goals. That game where he kicked 3 goals from 50 -60m out within 5 minutes of each other I thought the penny would drop and coaches would make him a winger/ high half forward. Our fwd half is filled with blokes with zero goal kicking prowess yet our greatest goalkicking threat is played as far as possible drives me insane. He kicked 3 on debut in 2016 as a HF lined up on Pendlebury then Hardwick and his merry bunch of imbecile assistants thought "better send him down back to work on his defensive side" lol they never brought him back as a fwd because we prefer blokes with no fwd craft play up fwd.

If someone can kick them from beyond the arc off 1 step with zero time to compose themselves. Imagine if he had 30 seconds to take his time?

Last edited:
I've been saying for years he needs to be played to his strengths. Seeing him repeatedly kick them post high off a step from 55m+ out says he needs to be played closer to goals. That game where he kicked 3 goals from 50 -60m out within 5 minutes of each other I thought the penny would drop and coaches would make him a winger/ high half forward. Our fwd half is filled with blokes with zero goal kicking prowess yet our greatest goalkicking threat is played as far as possible drives me insane. He kicked 3 on debut in 2016 as a HF lined up on Pendlebury then Hardwick and his merry bunch of imbecile assistants thought "better send him down back to work on his defensive side" lol they never brought him as a fwd because we prefer blokes with no fwd craft play up fwd.

If someone can kick them from beyond the arc off 1 step with zero time to compose themselves. Imagine if he had 30 seconds to take his time?
Memory is a little fuzzy but I believe he was initially recruited as a small forward , like you alluded to strange that given we really lacked the ability to convert inside 50’s into goals last season the MC didn’t try and throw around the magnets a little more in terms of guys playing as small forwards

Wouldn’t of been an overly difficult move to make by throwing Banks or Hugo to the hbf and Campbell/ Mansell onto the wing at times

He had a poor year but **** me the pile on is over the top. B&F winner in a premiership year is as good as it gets. I'm backing him in to find some good form next year.
Dimma accidentally packed Dusty's JDM in Jayden's weekly Happy Meal.

Travesty of justice.

He had a poor year but **** me the pile on is over the top. B&F winner in a premiership year is as good as it gets. I'm backing him in to find some good form next year.
Dustin Martin was a BnF winner in a grand final year too, but whether you are 32 or 29 (as short will be on Jan), when you're past it, you're past it.

The speed of the game has gone past Short.

I'm sorry, but he doesn't take the pressure off anyone, let alone kids.
His absence of pressure and tackling and want to play 'bruise-free' footy exposes his teammates.
I would hate to play alongside him as I know he desn't have my back an das soon as the avalanche starts, he'll be off chasing kicks instead of being accountable.
'A physical shield'. Blokes like Short ar far from a shield, they're leaky.

All he has to do is take the pressure of the kids and add something at the AFL level.

I don't care is Shorty gets smacked around bit. I care if some 18/19 year old gets smacked around.

yes he is outside and not a hard nut. He still plays the role in rebuilding our team for 5 years from now. That is what matters now. We aren't winning anything in the near term, But if we can develop our new draftees quickly then we will rebound with a vengeance and hopefully have a long period of contention.

So that he is soft etc, I don't care about. He has a role for a the next few years to help build our kids.

At 28? Doubt it.
Too often he isnt getting into the right positions. And when he does get the ball he is incapable of making and executing effective disposals under pressure. He panics with unaccountable dump kicks down the line or handballs to players in a worse position.

He can't or won't break lines by foot or disposal.

Mentally and physically the game appears to have gone past him.

Too often he isnt getting into the right positions. And when he does get the ball he is incapable of making and executing effective disposals under pressure. He panics with unaccountable dump kicks down the line or handballs to players in a worse position.

He can't or won't break lines by foot or disposal.

Mentally and physically the game appears to have gone past him.
Taylor Walker looked absolutely cooked a few years ago too, then he made AA last year for the first time as a 34-year-old.

Let's see how Short goes after a full preseason/no Meehan/calf issues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2nd in a premiership year is still elite. Not sure what's happened to him this year.
Realistically he was about our 7th-best player in 2020. Still a fine achievement and he had a great year, but others were better, namely Dusty, Vlastuin, Bolton, Cotch, Balta and Baker.

I've been saying for years he needs to be played to his strengths. Seeing him repeatedly kick them post high off a step from 55m+ out says he needs to be played closer to goals. That game where he kicked 3 goals from 50 -60m out within 5 minutes of each other I thought the penny would drop and coaches would make him a winger/ high half forward. Our fwd half is filled with blokes with zero goal kicking prowess yet our greatest goalkicking threat is played as far as possible drives me insane. He kicked 3 on debut in 2016 as a HF lined up on Pendlebury then Hardwick and his merry bunch of imbecile assistants thought "better send him down back to work on his defensive side" lol they never brought him back as a fwd because we prefer blokes with no fwd craft play up fwd.

Started as a forward dim sim made him into a half back. great players around him made look ok but now we all know how crap he is.

Let's not.
Oh Okay I Understand Will Ferrell GIF by filmeditor

First order - Remove him from leadership
Second order - Try him forward or rioli's role
Third order - Trade
Agree in theory but who makes way for him in the forward area?

Haven't you noticed Baker, Graham and Bolton are leaving and most of our fwds suck. Think we can make room for him lol
Never really thought of him as a similar player to those guys tbh… give it a try I suppose if he’s open to a position change….

Never really thought of him as a similar player to those guys tbh… give it a try I suppose if he’s open to a position change….

What's similar player got to do with it? Lynch is unique. Dusty is unique. Rance was unique. When they are injured or retire you put the best magnet in their spot and hope for the best. No similar substitution available.

Think he can work as an attacking wing rotation, but that is all dependent on him being able to run down the wing and distribute. He will never be a defensive wing but maybe he could he a better attacker. If he could get the ball around 80-90 out and get a clear run or some free space around the 50, you would think he could have a ping.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #15: Jayden Short

Remove this Banner Ad

Back