VFL Round 12 v Box Hill, Saturday June 15, 12:05pm AEST, Swinburne Centre

Remove this Banner Ad

Never understood the decision to recruit Coulthard.

A Matty Clarke special

secret smell GIF

We have played the top 4 teams in a 21 team competition within the last 9 matches, during a period where we have been decimated by injuries to both our AFL and VFL lists. We get the bye now in both grades, and over the remaining 7 matches spread over 9 weeks from now, we should get quite a few players returning from injury on both lists, which will really help this team. But the other thing is the draw gets much easier.

We play:

21st & bottom team Carlton twice
20th team Bullants
roughly 8th-9th team Suns
7th team Williamstown
19th team Collingwood
8th team Sandringham

If we win the 4 games v 19th-21st placed teams that will take us to 10 wins. The team should have their sights on winning 2 of the 3 games v Suns, Sandy & Williamstown to finish 12-6, which would be certain finals. We have a month from now before we play the first of those 3 upper mid table teams.

Unsure which VFL players will return by then but Harris & May are two who possibly will. El Nour hopefully not too far behind them. Sadly Street and Bravo are gone for the season and no idea where Girolami is with things, have not seen any report on him.

Then the AFL list should regain Hopper, Prestia, Pickett, Rioli, Ryan. Not sure if we see Grimes, Ross, Fawcett or the tallest man alive, Mate Colina at any material time.

But there should be a decent chance this team qualifies for finals and hits the finals in reasonable shape.

I have watched him a few times when he played WAFL for Peel (Dockers ressies). He plays like Luke Ryan. We would have picked him but have no room in the back 6.
He certainly gets to plenty of marking contests, and is very good defensive spoiler
I did read his endurance is very good for a 102kg kpd.

Coulthard 3 disposals 2 marks 1 tackle
Trezise 12 disposals 3 marks 1 tackle 0.1
Banks 20 disposals 9 marks 1 tackle
Bauer 7 disposals 2 marks 1 tackle 1.0
Hayes-Brown 14 disposals 7 clearances 1 tackle 26 hitouts
Green 9 disposals 2 marks 1 clearance 1.1
Smith 20 disposals 6 marks
Blight 18 disposals 8 marks
Gray 12 disposals 5 marks 1 clearance 3 tackles 9 hitouts 1.1

Hawks very slick outfit. Moved the ball easily against us, while we struggled to get any fluency. Hopefully not a sign of things to come later
Unfortunately your prediction was exactly what happened

Sam Banks (20 disposals, nine marks, five inside-50s, seven rebound-50s)

“Sam was probably one of our standout players on the ground in his three-quarters of game time. I thought he provided a lot of run and carry for us on the day.”

Kaleb Smith (20 disposals, six marks, seven rebound-50s)

“Really pleased with Kaleb's game once again. I thought his starting points were good, and he continued to win contests throughout the day in another good display from him.”

Joel Garner (19 disposals, four marks, three tackles, seven clearances, six inside-50s)

“Joel was once again our inside bull. He really stood up and was a big reason as to why we were able to win clearance.”

Tom McCarthy (19 disposals, five marks, four clearances, four inside-50s)

“Tom has been in really good form throughout the season, and once again accumulated the ball well on the weekend and had a good influence on the game.”

Jacob Blight (18 disposals, eight marks, four rebound-50s)

“Jacob was a wall down back for us. I thought he gave us an opportunity to win the game by really reducing the impact of their tall forwards. He took a number of intercept marks, and his defence was really solid on the day.”

Lachlan Wilson (16 disposals, 11 contested possessions, three tackles, nine clearances)

“Lachlan teamed up with Joel (Garner) in the midfield and had a number of clearances for us on the day. He continued on his good form.”

Nick Guiney (14 disposals, four marks, two rebound-50s, two inside-50s)

“After a week off due to soreness, Nick came back into the side and played a little bit on the wing and down back. He was solid as usual.”

Oliver Hayes-Brown (14 disposals, 14 contested possessions, seven clearances, 26 hit-outs)

“Yet another step forward for Ollie in just his second game at VFL level. He had 26 hit-outs and his work around the ground I think most would have been really impressed with over his first two games.”

Liam George (12 disposals, six marks, one goal)

“I thought he looked like one of our more dangerous small forwards on the day. He makes good decisions and I thought the weekend was no different. He's in really good form and looking for him to have a huge impact in the second half of the year now that he's comfortable at this level.”

James Trezise (12 disposals, three marks, three rebound-50s)

“Whilst James didn't have huge numbers on the stats sheet, I thought he was hugely influential. He's in some sensational form. He’s really clean when he gets his opportunity to handle the football and he's in a really good spot should any opportunity present itself in the near future.”

Harry Scott (12 disposals, three tackles, three inside-50s)

“Harry is a young player early on in his career, and it's a big ask to play senior footy in the midfield at such a young age, but he's going to be in a really good spot having had this experience playing against seasoned AFL players.”

Campbell Gray (12 disposals, five marks, threw tackles, three inside-50s, nine hit-outs, one goal)

“He looks big and strong ahead of the footy. He provided a contest for us ahead of the footy and followed up really well at ground level on the day.”

Sam Davidson (11 disposals, three marks, five tackles, three inside-50s)

“I thought Sam once again could have had a huge influence on the match. Unfortunately, he just didn't finish off his work on the day, but I thought he got to good spots and continued to fight and show up throughout the day.”

Austin Johnson (11 disposals, three marks, one goal)

“I think it was a good starting point for Austin. He's been out for the best part of a month due to concussion protocols, and I think Saturday’s game should hold him in good stead moving forward as we approach a really important time of the year for us.”

Mohammed Yassine (10 disposals, four contested possessions, three inside-50s)

“Loving what Mohammed is doing defensively at the moment. He really does buy-in and makes us better defensively. I think having missed so much footy, he's probably just lacking some offensive polish, which is usually a real highlight of his game and I'm sure that'll come in the near future.”

Nicholas Collier (10 disposals, four contested possessions, one goal)

“Once again, I thought he played his role reasonably well on the day and it was nice to see him hit the scoreboard.”

Thomas Brindley (nine disposals, three inside-50s, two marks)

“I thought he was pretty solid down back. He had his work cut out down there on Box Hill’s tall forwards, but I think he can hold his head high.”

Steely Green (nine disposals, four inside-50s, one goal)

“Steely is one of those players that we've got really high hopes for, and whilst we continue to see some really great team-first acts that I'm really proud of Steely for, I’m just looking for him to have a little bit bigger of an impact on VFL footy.”

Ry Cantwell (seven disposals, three contested possessions, two inside-50s)

“I think we're continuing to see some real shining passages of play from Ry. Hopefully, his consistency can improve as he plays each game and he can have an even bigger influence.”

Jacob Bauer (seven disposals, four contested possessions, one goal)

“Jacob started down back and probably by his own admission, didn't start the way he would have liked. He went forward in the second half of the game, and I thought he looked really dangerous ahead of the footy and finished beautifully to hit the scoreboard.”

Josh Pollocks (five disposals, three contested possessions, two marks)

“Josh did a great job to get up for the game because he was really sore going into the game, and we really needed his presence as a key forward. I think he added some really important contests early in the game for us to bring the ball to ground and give our small forwards a chance to hit the scoreboard.”

Cam Olden (five disposals, three contested possessions, two marks)

“Cam just didn't have the influence that we know he can have on the game. He continued to try throughout the day, but potentially, we’ve got to look at a change in role to get him really clicking into gear because he's an important player for us.”

Matthew Coulthard (three disposals, two marks, one tackle)

“Much like Steely (Green), Matthew is a player that we've got high hopes for and probably looking for him to influence VFL footy at a much greater level than he did on the weekend. He played up forward and on a wing, but just struggled to really reach the heights that we know he is capable of.”

Last edited:
Coulthard 3 disposals 2 marks 1 tackle
Trezise 12 disposals 3 marks 1 tackle 0.1
Banks 20 disposals 9 marks 1 tackle
Bauer 7 disposals 2 marks 1 tackle 1.0
Hayes-Brown 14 disposals 7 clearances 1 tackle 26 hitouts
Green 9 disposals 2 marks 1 clearance 1.1
Smith 20 disposals 6 marks
Blight 18 disposals 8 marks
Gray 12 disposals 5 marks 1 clearance 3 tackles 9 hitouts 1.1

Hawks very slick outfit. Moved the ball easily against us, while we struggled to get any fluency. Hopefully not a sign of things to come later
Coulthard and Green are $1.01 to be delisted.

Great to see how well Smith responded to the disappointment of a 7 minute debut a couple of weeks ago . Obviously no sooking it up, straight back into it, surely he gets his opportunity soon.

Blight has had 3 outstanding games since arriving. Probably in our best 2-3 players in each game. Has the size,and physicality to play on AFL KPFs. Balance wise, it’ll be interesting how they fit him alongside Balta and Miller.

Love the way Tresize goes about it every week, plays team first, great contested player. Never worry too much about the stat sheet with him, because he’s always cracking in, in the air and on the ground, giving teammates a chop out. I’d be playing him every week. Again maybe it’s a balance issue with Broady and Vlastuin in the back 6. But I’d throw the magnets around to get him in. We are crying out for more contested players in our 22.

Great start to his career by Gray too, has a few kinks to iron out, with set shots and decision making, but love the way he attacks it in the air and then is so quick to recover at ground level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another eye catching performance from Davidud:

“I thought Sam once again could have had a huge influence on the match. Unfortunately, he just didn't finish off his work on the day, but I thought he got to good spots and continued to fight and show up throughout the day.”

Another eye catching performance from Davidud:

He’s too soft unfortunately. There are reasons why some players just don’t make it.

Great to see how well Smith responded to the disappointment of a 7 minute debut a couple of weeks ago . Obviously no sooking it up, straight back into it, surely he gets his opportunity soon.

Blight has had 3 outstanding games since arriving. Probably in our best 2-3 players in each game. Has the size,and physicality to play on AFL KPFs. Balance wise, it’ll be interesting how they fit him alongside Balta and Miller.

Love the way Tresize goes about it every week, plays team first, great contested player. Never worry too much about the stat sheet with him, because he’s always cracking in, in the air and on the ground, giving teammates a chop out. I’d be playing him every week. Again maybe it’s a balance issue with Broady and Vlastuin in the back 6. But I’d throw the magnets around to get him in. We are crying out for more contested players in our 22.

Great start to his career by Gray too, has a few kinks to iron out, with set shots and decision making, but love the way he attacks it in the air and then is so quick to recover at ground level.

Outstanding is a big call.

Why not give him a go??

We need to see what our youngsters have, who we can develop what prospects we have

I am excited by looking at our youngsters for the rest of the year. and next year to probably

Clearly we have to go heavy to the draft this year and next year as well.

Hopefully we can surge in 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Back