Player Watch #15: Jayden Short

Remove this Banner Ad

He is definitely carrying an injury (just my opinion). He would be better though if he played in actual football boots rather than those slippery boots.
No way...those are his best moves and best excuses!
I cudda...I cudda...I cudda...but...but...but...I slipped!

Nope he’s never been a defenders s**t stain. Outside bruise free footy. Not sure what people think he is a footy player. Long kick that’s it
Well he didn't win a bnf in a premiership season...

His best is absolutely elite, and he's not a lock down defender. Not sure what's up with him at the moment though. Can't even do the basics currently. I think he should be moved forward.

Yze seems like a guy happy to throw the magnets around a bit, Short might need a positional change to revive him, he did play forward as a junior and very early in his career, might be time to throw him that challenge for a few weeks.
I was thinking this last night, with the amount of turn overs he was having. Issue was, who do we send down back to replace him? No one up forward was suitable and no one in the midfield would have been better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well he didn't win a bnf in a premiership season...

His best is absolutely elite, and he's not a lock down defender. Not sure what's up with him at the moment though. Can't even do the basics currently. I think he should be moved forward.

He deserved his b&f. But he had great cover and was used the right way in a system and team that could utilise his weapons.

He doesn’t have to be a lock down defender but his defensive fundamentals are non existent. I think we agree that he’s liability down back when he has to defend but I’m not sure what other position he can play.

Some real shit comments in here, have you guys learned nothing with the George retirement.

I would argue Short is playing exactly how short has always played, but the team is not what it was when he was playing great footy. Its easy to look a million bucks streaming out of a backline with cover and support everywhere whilst kicking the ball long to blokes who win the contest more often than not.

Some real shit comments in here, have you guys learned nothing with the George retirement.

I would argue Short is playing exactly how short has always played, but the team is not what it was when he was playing great footy. Its easy to look a million bucks streaming out of a backline with cover and support everywhere whilst kicking the ball long to blokes who win the contest more often than not.
Sure, but it still makes him 1 dimensional. 0 defensive pressure and bombing it long in hope is not worth persisting with over a kid like Smith.

Trade him while he still has value externally.

Sure, but it still makes him 1 dimensional. 0 defensive pressure and bombing it long in hope is not worth persisting with over a kid like Smith.

Trade him while he still has value externally.
I actually suggested we ask GC if they have interest as they clearly want DRioli who I wouldn't trade unless it was double value being offered so yeah I agree on trading Short, but some of the comments in here are putrid.

He used to be a one touch player, composed under pressure, good side step and elite ball user on both sides.

For most of this year he has constantly overrun the ball, panicked under pressure and butchered the ball something silly, all while spending triple the amount of time on the deck.

Don't agree at all that he's playing like he's always played.

I went to the game and didn't think short played that well. I then watched the game last night on Kayo and shorts game was worse than I thought. 5 of his kicks ended up in the hands of the bombers that's 5 kicks gobbled up by bombers players up field. 2 other kicks completely missed their target with one ending up being a goal to stringer. No care with the ball.

So you yourself what does he bring to the table these days? Same questions have been asked of grimes, granted he's older 32 years to 28.

Last edited:

Nah, his foot skills aka his 1 wood have dropped right off.

Not sure what the problem is? He can’t defend it’s always been his issue.

Great peg but you have to evolve your game if you’re a good player and can’t have it on your own terms. Is that an unrealistic expectation?

I've been saying for 5 years he shouldn't be a defender. For mine his lethal outside 50 bombs at goals are criminally undervalued. He finds the pill no worries, can run and carry, effortlessly kicks it 60m. Should be played to his strengths as a winger/ hf. Would easily kick 30+ valuable goals a year. It's shattering seeing small blokes with low conversion rates having endless shots and always missing. Don't know his conversion rate but feels like there's no one better in the entire league that can ping them from beyond the arc. Imagine him having free reign to take 3-5 shots a game?

Wasted down back. Watching other little blokes 55m out kicking it to dead pockets, 9/10 it rebounds out straight away for no score. Would love to see him have free reign. There'd be games he kicks 1.5. But flip side would be games he kicks 5.1. That game last year where he kicked 3 goals outside of 50m in 5 minutes off a hbf. The coaches in their wisdom respond by keeping him physically as far away as possible from goal, whilst our fwd half was littered with blokes who couldn't kick a goal to save themselves. MADNESS!!!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #15: Jayden Short

Remove this Banner Ad

Back