Player Watch #15: Jayden Short

Remove this Banner Ad

Going to be a good player shorty , 15kicks 0 handballs 562m gained ,,,nice goal, coming along well . Next get castagna Drummond and Mcbean into the side
Only time will tell if he is going to be a good player. Like most juniors he shows a bit of promise.

McBean will not be at tigerland next year.Drummond and Castagna like Short show some promise but only time will determine if they are good enough yet.
Just too many smalls for my liking.To make it as a small in todays game you generally have to bring something that is outstanding to the table.

I know we all thought he was going to be a gun small forward and he was being played out of position, but this guy has been very good off half back.

He's been getting over 20 touches just about every week. He's quick and creative with the ball and a quality kick.

Has taken over from Houli off half back and deserves an upgrade at the end of the year

I know we all thought he was going to be a gun small forward and he was being played out of position, but this guy has been very good off half back.

He's been getting over 20 touches just about every week. He's quick and creative with the ball and a quality kick.

Has taken over from Houli off half back and deserves an upgrade at the end of the year
One of the few players this season I feel confident when it's in his hands, makes the right decisions most of the time and has the skill to execute. The signs are very good so lets just hope he doesn't stagnate in his development like a few others have.

Outstanding prospect and looks the one player who I think has benifited most from Dimma's "try everyone at half back" plan.

His output at halfback has been better than Menadues, Corey Ellis' and Markov's. Has cement himself into the 22 - as the number 1 lockout option no less.

A pre-season with the defenders should hopefully allow him to learn how to defend better too (not that he's that awful at it now).

Will be the first to be rightfully promoted. Has averaged 19 touches a game since round 14 where he's now played 7 consecutive games.

Outstanding prospect and looks the one player who I think has benifited most from Dimma's "try everyone at half back" plan.

His output at halfback has been better than Menadues, Corey Ellis' and Markov's. Has cement himself into the 22 - as the number 1 lockout option no less.

A pre-season with the defenders should hopefully allow him to learn how to defend better too (not that he's that awful at it now).

Will be the first to be rightfully promoted. Has averaged 19 touches a game since round 14 where he's now played 7 consecutive games.

Markov has been pretty handy since getting picked, wouldn't swap him and Short.

Ellis maybe?

We went and wasted pick 19 and a ship load of coin on squirrel Yarran when we had Short and Markov
Amazing what happens when you get kids and give them a gig early rather than letting them rot in the VFL for four years.
Agree, sometimes the forest can't be seen for the trees. Looks sure of himself when he hunts and finds the ball, instinctive almost. Let's hope he doesn't get reprogrammed with a game style that turns him into a VFL player.

Is surprisingly good in one on one contests , accurate kick but the lack of depth in his kicking and willingness to use the corridor could be improved.

I disagree he uses the corridor well instinctively. Just that our head coach lambasted him for it in the media and unfortunately its being coached out of him as a result by our risk averse coaching staff.

I disagree he uses the corridor well instinctively. Just that our head coach lambasted him for it in the media and unfortunately its being coached out of him as a result by our risk averse coaching staff.
Not interested in why , but he diesnt use the corridor enough nor is he able to kick it far enough to get over defensive structures .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is surprisingly good in one on one contests , accurate kick but the lack of depth in his kicking and willingness to use the corridor could be improved.
Not interested in why , but he diesnt use the corridor enough nor is he able to kick it far enough to get over defensive structures .
His kicks are definitely penetrating enough.
He sometimes just throws it on the boot without looking and kicks the odd rainmaker. People may be going early here like they did with Steven Morris in his first year. Im not sold on Short just yet.
When has Morris been entrusted with kick in duties? Or able to kick off both feet?
Shit call.

His kicks are definitely penetrating enough.

When has Morris been entrusted with kick in duties? Or able to kick off both feet?
Shit call.
Youve completely missed the point. People went early calling Morris a gun, some people seem to be going a bit early on Short too. The post has nothing to do with Morris' kicking.

Kicks it a lot lower and harder than Houli's slow and high kicks. Gives our leading players a better chance, Free's up Houli's to play on the wing which I believe is his true position.

He's the perfect replacement for Houli, as you say flatter and harder kick than Bachar and doesn't mind the contest from what I've seen so far.

He and markov have been one of the few postives of a poor season. Drummond getting back as well is a postive look very tentative with his knee but who can blame him. Also looks to have lost a fiar bit of pace and being played out of position doesnt help.

Kicks it a lot lower and harder than Houli's slow and high kicks. Gives our leading players a better chance, Free's up Houli's to play on the wing which I believe is his true position.
Yes it's been hard to get used to seeing houli playing up the field. But he is being quite creative. Be good to see B Ellis more upfield too. He is not playing to his potential .

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #15: Jayden Short

Remove this Banner Ad

Back