Past #15: Luke Delaney - selected with #25 in '08 RD - traded to St Kilda for #77 in 2013 TW

Remove this Banner Ad

It is odd as I just posted myself in the changes thread. Especially against Essendon who don't have many tall forward options, we appear a bit tall but maybe try and exploit them.

It may be you are right and that is how Scott is viewing it as a 'play-off'.......unless he just feels Keys would be too hard done by getting dropped. Hard to know!

interesting to see how they line up. Backline looks pretty slow with Grima and Delaney in the team. Unless Brad sees Delaney taken Firrito's spot

interesting to see how they line up. Backline looks pretty slow with Grima and Delaney in the team. Unless Brad sees Delaney taken Firrito's spot

Maybe right about Firritos spot. But I think that is half the reason Spud had to be dropped as he was too slow for 4th forward, so Delaney will not fix that problem!

I actually think there might be a late withdrawal of Grima or Delaney now they only have Daniher, Crameri and Carlisle listed. If Ryder or Hurley played maybe, but we definitely look a bit top heavy and i'd back our three backs against their three forwards to be honest.....

It is odd as I just posted myself in the changes thread. Especially against Essendon, we appear a bit tall on paper. I would have thought Hansen, Thompson and Grima/Delaney would be enough.

It may be you are right and that is how Scott is viewing it as a 'play-off'.......unless he just feels Keys would be too hard done by getting dropped. Hard to know!

Another chapter in the Brad Scott book of mysterious selections. But it is a bit of a dilemma. It would look odd seeing our senior heads of McMahon, Firrito and Grima running around in the 2s. Starts to look like a subtle defense retirement policy. And Delaney would be hard done by. Would be difficult negotiating a new contract for Keys while dropping him. I hope it's a sign we don't want to let him go.

Maybe Thompson is a late withdrawal , he did cop a horrible knee to the back and looked very sore afterwards & only a six day break could still a bit stiff and sore

Yep, wouldn't surprise me. He's not right. He and Ziebell were doing handballs with the injury group in the training video.

I find it interesting to be in a position where our players are being sought after. Not that it has never happened or anything, but it seems indicative of our overall depth and emerging quality. Having good depth players means players who aren't always going to get a game and that's where the focus on 'creating an environment that players want to be part of' is important.

fwiw, I can't see why Adelaide wouldn't do a straight swap with Sloane and Grima. Or, for that matter, why we don't do one of the following trades: Daniel Hannebery, Daniel Rich, or Carlton or St Kilda's first pick for Keys?

Hopefully the fact that Cameron is still at North will convince him to stay with us.

The reason he knocked back offers last year was because he wanted to stay with his brother and at north, not sure we would be lukcy enough to have it happen again. The club infact did very little to persuade him, because he had some very very good offers come.

I would rather watch him play good footy at another club then waste away in the seconds, he is better then that. I think he caught up with Grima and will soon over take him, partly due to Grima's injuries.

If he hadn't played in the last couple of weeks I wonder whether people's response to keeping him would be the same and similarly whether clubs would be as interested in him.

He has shown before that he can defend, he just had some deficiencies in terms of his ball use and decision making under pressure the last time he got some games, he has improved in those areas which impacts his value.

The problem is Grima is injury prone and at his age things probably aren't going to get better, if his body is going to constantly fail him then I am not sure we can afford to go with Grima as the preferred option.

We do value Car Keys but lets be realistic, if opposition clubs had the option of taking Thompson, Hansen, non-injury prone Grima, Cam or Car Keys then he would likely be at the end of the queue, like he has been for us.

Grima has played 16, 13, 12, 17 and 13 games in his 5 seasons with us. He is a great bloke and when not hampered by injury he has been a super player, however, he is 28 and the question marks on him physically would have a massive impact on his value or his position in the side going forward. Having a full back that can play 25 games is going to be a requirement for us to contend. Grima is averaging only 14 at present.

No surprise, I tipped this a while back, he's a gun full-back who hasnt had the opportunities of Hansen etc. I hope DR is noting this high-interest in Luke Delaney, its more than Hansen ever got....

No surprise, I tipped this a while back, he's a gun full-back who hasnt had the opportunities of Hansen etc. I hope DR is noting this high-interest in Luke Delaney, its more than Hansen ever got....

Mate I think everyone saw this coming, Delaney's trade interest was hardly a secret.

Lets not pretend Delaney is an All Australian fullback, he's a promising full back who can't break into the team on a regular basis. He's a some-what limited player in comparison to the likes of Harry Taylor and our own Scott Thompson.

I'd prefer to keep him, especially with Grima's body issues but if someone offers overs for him we'd be silly not to consider it, especially with his younger brother on a long-term contract.

*shakes head*

The reason why Hansen got opportunities was because he able to play multiple positions. Luke hasn't got an extended shot because he is behind Scott Thompson (AA FULL BACK) for the FB position and he isn't suited to the more mobile forwards as well as Grima is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

????, With fewer draft options this year, a trade for an experienced player could/should work in our favor. Grima to Adeliade with a 3rd or 4th round pick for Sloane (who hasn't signed as of yet) or even crouch (who is still young and not as experienced). Crows will be welcoming draft picks this year. Grima has suffered many injuries over the past six years. Delaney if given the chance week in week out will become a better defender than Grima. He will be the one North should be retaining
Ohhh ... FFS , if you want to throw trades up be realistic about it . You would need a top 10 pick for Sloane & probably the same and then some for Crouch .

I think the last few weeks has highlighted the issues with Grima's body...and therefore Keys becomes an important player.
Correct, and as good as Grima has been for us, I would put Delaney in front of him right now, for a number of reasons, such as injuries, age and height/strength in the contest. So if retaining both isn't possible, my money would be on Delaney. I wouldn't offer Grima more than 1 year anyway, as tough as it may sound from his point of view.

Even at his best, Grima is far from a complete player, and with all his (Delaney's) bran explosions and decision making problems, Delaney has shown some improvement, and has plenty of upside compared to Grima.

I would go as far as to say that movement of fringe players from club to club has to become more acceptable in AFL footy, as it is with other major sports. Clubs offering contracts to players out of loyalty alone, surely isn't happening. Nothing wrong in telling Grima that he is best advised to finish his career elsewhere. We have given him a chance at AFL footy, which is he grateful for no doubt, but right now it may be that the best thing for both parties is to part ways.

He is not a gun fullback. He has been serviceable this year but he has had some severe flaws to work on.

He hasn't deserved the opportunities of Hansen and if Hansen was coming out of contract this year he would be receiving great interest and it would be from more than scrub teams like GWS.

Give me an honest answer, what has Lachlan Hansen done to you? Don't tell me it's only about football because its not. Only an obsessed moron could talk down a 30 disposal 15 mark game like it was nothing.

You seriously need help.

Delany is being over rated in this thread.
Grima is bring underrated.

Grima may be 28 and battling injuries and Delany 24 built like a brick shithouse, but I know who I'd rather take into a finals series.

I think Delany is just not good enough. Sorry. I hope I'm wrong and he has a good career (where ever that my be) but I think the more games he plays the more he will get found out.

One thing I have noticed about Keys is he looks noticeably fitter/slimmer. I may be wrong as he is listed about the same I think (99kg), but just seems to move far better.

If it is as I suspect then he must have worked hard and that is why I want him to be given a proper opportunity to show what he can do - of which has been afforded to all the Bastinac, Wright, Tarrant, Macmillan types the last few years with arguably worse output.

Delany is being over rated in this thread.
Grima is bring underrated.

Maybe. If Grima was in earlier career form I would 100% agree with you. But Grima has offered little this year other than purely defensive (plus he makes too many mistakes/brain fades), so I am not against backing in the younger guy to do the same job.

Nah, seriously we would be doing ourselves a disservice by getting rid of Keys and taking on Nick Dal Santo.............Im hoping we keep Keys over Grima.

Agree mate. Have no idea where the Dal Santo love comes from, very overrated player for mine.

Most importantly, another outside plodder of which we don't need, especially at high $$.

One thing I have noticed about Keys is he looks noticeably fitter/slimmer. I may be wrong as he is listed about the same I think (99kg), but just seems to move far better.

If it is as I suspect then he must have worked hard and that is why I want him to be given a proper opportunity to show what he can do - of which has been afforded to all the Bastinac, Wright, Tarrant, Macmillan types the last few years with arguably worse output.

Maybe. If Grima was in earlier career form I would 100% agree with you. But Grima has offered little this year other than purely defensive (plus he makes too many mistakes/brain fades), so I am not against backing in the younger guy to do the same job.

Agreed. It was mentioned during the Geelong game also. It was something that needed to be done. 'Gorilla' fullbacks have been phased out of the game for a reason (they are 1-dimensional). We are going to see flexible Hunter types more and more. If Keys can slim down whilst still maintaining his power he will become more than serviceable.

Nah, seriously we would be doing ourselves a disservice by getting rid of Keys and taking on Nick Dal Santo.............Im hoping we keep Keys over Grima.

That's kind of hot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #15: Luke Delaney - selected with #25 in '08 RD - traded to St Kilda for #77 in 2013 TW

Remove this Banner Ad

Back