Past #15: Luke Delaney - selected with #25 in '08 RD - traded to St Kilda for #77 in 2013 TW

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe. If Grima was in earlier career form I would 100% agree with you. But Grima has offered little this year other than purely defensive (plus he makes too many mistakes/brain fades), so I am not against backing in the younger guy to do the same job.

Grima has looked slow with ball in hand
This year but his form as a stopper has been solid. His job is to stop. Don't think Delany will offer any more then pure defence either fwiw.

And as far as mistakes/brain fades are concerned, I've seen Delany have more in a game then what Grima would have in a year.

That's kind of hot.

If you're into that kind of stuff!
dominatrix.gif

I hope we keep Luke, have never really understood the negativity towards him. And I admit I'm not far from the front of the queue for potting North players.

Apparently he can fumble the ball, if I was attending a North game for the first time and was told that. At the end of the match I'd say Luke was anyone of twenty players.

He's a tough competitor and I really don't care if you disagree, we aint got a lot of those, unfortunately.

I find it interesting to be in a position where our players are being sought after. Not that it has never happened or anything, but it seems indicative of our overall depth and emerging quality. Having good depth players means players who aren't always going to get a game and that's where the focus on 'creating an environment that players want to be part of' is important.

fwiw, I can't see why Adelaide wouldn't do a straight swap with Sloane and Grima. Or, for that matter, why we don't do one of the following trades: Daniel Hannebery, Daniel Rich, or Carlton or St Kilda's first pick for Keys?
We'd fall over ourselves to get any of those deals done. I don't reckon any of the clubs y mentioned would do those deals.

Grima has looked slow with ball in hand
This year but his form as a stopper has been solid. His job is to stop. Don't think Delany will offer any more then pure defence either fwiw.

And as far as mistakes/brain fades are concerned, I've seen Delany have more in a game then what Grima would have in a year.

Yep, agree his "stopping" has been sound (as always). Don't get me wrong, I am one of the most critical on here but Grima has never been questioned (i'm biased too with him being a Tassie player). I think he plays his role well, albeit this year he has not offered much outside "stopping".

Delaney last year made awful decisions. But not this year so far. I think it unfair to compare as Grima should know better, the other is just making his way. In my view Grima has been not done enough to suggest we can carry such a one dimensional role, especially when he rarely gets the gun forward, if we expect to be a top team like people keep telling me.

Hannerbery and Rohan are off the table. Id be interested in Delaney but wouldnt bend over backwards for him.

If a deal were to be done it would only involve Jessie White, draft picks or anyone languishing in the two's.

Anything else and id rather walk away.

keep walking buddy, nothing to see here.

Happy to let you guys live in your fantasy world. Just saying how it is.
Gee that's nice of you.

Unfortunately the only fantasy we have that involves the Swans (former and present) is that we hope Paul Roos takes a long walk off a short pier..

Be on your way it's past your bed time.

Gee that's nice of you.

Unfortunately the only fantasy we have that involves the Swans (former and present) is that we hope Paul Roos takes a long walk off a short pier..

Be on your way it's past your bed time.

the only fantasy between the Swans and North is what Paul Kelly wakes from every morning, if only I could have hit Lockett on the chest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not so sure I'd keep Delaney over Grima.

Delaney is the same age now that Grima was when he started his career, so who knows what could happen from here. He might break down. Grimas' body might get better. We're simply assuming that Luke has more of a future because of age, but it isn't necessarily so. Post 28, Grimas' body might come good.

All I know is that comparing player for player currently, both fully fit, Grima would get the nod every time.

These notions about Delaney improving and being 'part of our future'.. How long are we actually waiting for this glorious future? Hello, we are four years in to Scotts' tenure, and the expectation for success should reasonably be next year. And IMO Grima is very much a part of that.

Or are we waiting another 4 years, handing out apprenticeships to players who aren't there yet but 'need experience', while another decade goes down the toilet?

Jed Lamb...plus a pick upgrade for you guys.

That's actually reasonable. I sincerely hope we keep Lamb but if we did chase Delaney we'd have to give up a player who's in a similar position at his club and Lamb fits that description although he's edging close to being best 22 on a regular basis.

I read that he's pretty one dimensional for a defender. How true is this?

I read that he's pretty one dimensional for a defender. How true is this?

He is a relatively simple player. Will concentrate on beating his man but isn't overly creative or effective with ball in hand.

As long as you have runners around him to receive the handball or crumb spoils he's a pretty effective full back

Correct, and as good as Grima has been for us, I would put Delaney in front of him right now, for a number of reasons, such as injuries, age and height/strength in the contest. So if retaining both isn't possible, my money would be on Delaney. I wouldn't offer Grima more than 1 year anyway, as tough as it may sound from his point of view.

Even at his best, Grima is far from a complete player, and with all his (Delaney's) bran explosions and decision making problems, Delaney has shown some improvement, and has plenty of upside compared to Grima.

Would love to know how you came to this analysis after 23 games of senior footy, ffs....ridiculous:rolleyes:

Would love to know how you came to this analysis after 23 games of senior footy, ffs....ridiculous:rolleyes:
What conclusion? That he is prone to brain farts and that he has improved in that area somewhat?

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #15: Luke Delaney - selected with #25 in '08 RD - traded to St Kilda for #77 in 2013 TW

Remove this Banner Ad

Back