Past #15: Luke Delaney - selected with #25 in '08 RD - traded to St Kilda for #77 in 2013 TW

Remove this Banner Ad

Any good key defenders running around in the state leagues that we should look at as a replacement?

There's a guy running around at Port Melbourne, been in the VFL team of the year last 4 years, VFL life member, 28 years old, 194 cm, bit light in the mid 80s (Nothing an AFL standard pre-season wouldn't fix on a mature body), but where we are talking ready to go, replacement FB/CHB, Sam Pleming should be a decent smokey...got cut from Carltons Rookie list years back for not having an X-Factor, but results/VFL career would speak differently.

Would be all for chasing a much younger KPD for the senior list to develop, but as far as Rookie lists go, we should really have a mix of ready to go senior blokes, and kids that need that next level of development, I would be all for a late 20's, experienced head waiting in the event of injury

There's a guy running around at Port Melbourne, been in the VFL team of the year last 4 years, VFL life member, 28 years old, 194 cm, bit light in the mid 80s (Nothing an AFL standard pre-season wouldn't fix on a mature body), but where we are talking ready to go, replacement FB/CHB, Sam Pleming should be a decent smokey...got cut from Carltons Rookie list years back for not having an X-Factor, but results/VFL career would speak differently.

Would be all for chasing a much younger KPD for the senior list to develop, but as far as Rookie lists go, we should really have a mix of ready to go senior blokes, and kids that need that next level of development, I would be all for a late 20's, experienced head waiting in the event of injury

If we are going to take a VFL recruit, it's got to be Chris Cain.

I genuinely believe he'd be an upgrade on Gibbo.

He doesn't have the same motor, but he is absolute class, I reckon he'd be in the side Rnd 1.

If we are going to take a VFL recruit, it's got to be Chris Cain.

I genuinely believe he'd be an upgrade on Gibbo.

He doesn't have the same motor, but he is absolute class, I reckon he'd be in the side Rnd 1.

3q3rgr.jpg

His opponents over his career:

J.Brown - 4
S.Reid - 1
K.Tippett - 3
S.Day - 0
S.Crameri - 1
D.Stewart - 1
L.Keefe - 0
B.Hall - 5
T.Hawkins - 4
S.Reid - 0
T.Lynch - 1
Q.Lynch - 1
Jo.Roughead - 0
J.Schulz - 7
J.Brown - 2
L.Franklin - 5 (in no time, fair chance he had goals kicked on him by others as well)
J.Koschitzke - 0
Cox/NN - 3
C.Dawes - 0
K.Bradley - 0 (Bradley was injured early and subbed, Delaney was later subbed)
I.Folau - 1
N.Vardy - 2
L.Johnston - 1
J.Danhier - 0 (4 behinds)
J.Roughead - 4
B.Reid - 5

Did OK against some genuine duds but struggled badly every time he came up against quality.

For those playing at home, Grima conceded less than a goal a game this year. I'll take him over this 'gorilla' every day of the week.

He's 24 and has had 5 years on the list. He won't suddenly become a gun. Lacks athleticism and skill. Good luck to him. I hope he prolongs his career with a team like St Kilda or Brisbane who are desperate for a stopgap measure.

No real lose if he goes, makes a hell of a lot of errors.

If this Josh Bruce is so good he'll be an upgrade should we trade Luke Del to the saints, it makes you wonder why the Saints don't trade for him with GWS and bypass us all together.

Delaney is ready to go now, not sure if Bruce is. Delaney is likey going to be a lot cheaper. Players returning home are less likely to want to go to a side that is starting to rebuild if they can go to a side on the up or in contention.

But isn't he an Unrestricted Free Agent?

"Nick Dal Santo is committed to playing for St Kilda next season and is all but certain to do so, despite featuring on the list of free agents sent to clubs by the AFL last week.
Dal Santo's contract expires this season, hence his status as a restricted free agent, but his contract contains a trigger clause for next season that the club and the midfielder consider part of his current deal.
It is understood the 29-year-old must simply receive a medical clearance at the end of this season for the one-year extension to kick in"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Nick Dal Santo is committed to playing for St Kilda next season and is all but certain to do so, despite featuring on the list of free agents sent to clubs by the AFL last week.
Dal Santo's contract expires this season, hence his status as a restricted free agent, but his contract contains a trigger clause for next season that the club and the midfielder consider part of his current deal.
It is understood the 29-year-old must simply receive a medical clearance at the end of this season for the one-year extension to kick in"

Today's HS says the trigger is a matter of choice for Saints and Dal Santo.

One theory is the Roos could trade out-of-contract key backman Luke Delaney and a second-round pick (about pick No.26) for Dal Santo.
Delaney has told the Roos he wants to leave and the Saints, Brisbane Lions and Carlton are all believed to be interested.
North Melbourne is also circling Carlton livewire Eddie Betts, as the exciting Roos plot to break into the top four.
Dal Santo has a fitness clause that triggers another year in his contract next season, but that is yet to be activated.
The trigger clause could be voided on agreement by both parties, which would release the 260-gamer as an unrestricted free agent.

Read more: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...to/story-fnfll94y-1226716407471#ixzz2eWe0GNDs

Depends who owns the option on the contract extension. Given its based on medical grounds at age 30 would be the player. Sounds that one can easily be negotiated around on a mutually beneficial basis

i feel we are getting a bit stooged on the luke + 2nd for NDS option. And, more importantly, how could we commit our 2nd today, when tomorrow it could be used to snare Luke?:cool:

Is FA compensation linked to salary?

If so, we front load a 2y deal to ensure the saints get an end of 1st round compensation pick for Dal, We then trade Delaney to them for 39, or try to upgrade 26.

Delaney + 26 for Dal is about right but I'd like to explore the option of keeping our 1st live pick in the draft given our recent success with picks in the 20's.

i feel we are getting a bit stooged on the luke + 2nd for NDS option. And, more importantly, how could we commit our 2nd today, when tomorrow it could be used to snare Luke?:cool:

Trade period hasn't started.

its all speculation.

we are working purely in the theoretical

SEN: North leading candidate for saints start NDS. The talk is Cam Delaney and pick 26.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #15: Luke Delaney - selected with #25 in '08 RD - traded to St Kilda for #77 in 2013 TW

Remove this Banner Ad

Back