Past #15: Luke Delaney - selected with #25 in '08 RD - traded to St Kilda for #77 in 2013 TW

Remove this Banner Ad

That's what didn't make sense bc Barrett then went on to say his brother has also 4 other clubs chasing him. If north really wanted to keep Luke why offer him 1 year? Surely other clubs would offer 3.
Think you heard wrong, they said luke has 4 clubs chasing him and that we are keen to keep him and we have also offered grima a 1 year contract as has one other club. They didn't talk about cam

Our number one priority should be to re-sign Luke Delaney IMO

Are we in a position to trade him or with an impending expiration of his contract, can he just walk for nothing?

My guess is that if he doesn't sign with us or agree to be part of a deal between us and another club he can put himself into the draft.

If he goes into the draft we would get nothing for him and he would have to go to whichever club drafts him.

They have offered Grima one year, so has one other club is what he said.

Regarding Luke, he said we have offered an improved contract, trying to keep him but according to Barrett there are others all are strongly considering making offers.
Think you heard wrong, they said luke has 4 clubs chasing him and that we are keen to keep him and we have also offered grima a 1 year contract as has one other club. They didn't talk about cam

Now it makes sense, i missed grima's name. Thanks, I must have dozed off lol.

Its up to him, an improved contract is there for him. He has to do whats best for him, if Grima stays then Delaney may decide its best he go somewhere else for regular game time. Ball is in his court nothing North can do really.

Grima may shop around for a 2-year contract, especially with his best mate now at the Cattery. At 28 with his injury record it'll be interesting to see what the club do here.

Also Delaney being offered a contract is news, who are the three mandatory players we will delist then?

Grima may shop around for a 2-year contract, especially with his best mate now at the Cattery. At 28 with his injury record it'll be interesting to see what the club do here.

Also Delaney being offered a contract is news, who are the three mandatory players we will delist then?

Well with currie signing on, Mabon probably will be gone may even be put on the rookie list, Kennedy looks likely to be gone which i dont agree with but anyway, Anthony,Siera

Theres a few there that will be either traded or delisted.

Re: Grima, thats probably what hes doing, north probably offering one year because of his body. I suspect if he finds a 2-3 year deal then he will go.

north always re-sign their players. The others can piss off he's ours. Shouldn't be in the business of strengthening our rivals (saints, blues, sydney). Melbourne trade for watts yes. Saints second rounder i'd entertain if it meant we got garlett or another promising mid who slips through the early picks

Brad's head will be spinning the amount of trades deals/and raids coming our way........I dont think he's up to the task if he cant get the weekly list management right each week how do we expect for him to get long term strategy correct.

Grima is far too injury prone to hold the number 2 KKD spot, if we can only keep 1 then let Grima go, if we can keep both then Delaney provides solid depth incase he goes down....

I mentioned this in another post about two weeks ago and that was that Luke was being chased that I know of by GWS. From what I understand he wants to stay at North but only if that means he gets game time, another two years in the VFL would pretty much put a stop to his career.

Grima before this season has made a big impact when fit, the games he missed it stood out like dogs balls but perhaps Delaney has gone past him now. I know I’d hate to see him play on Tarrant/Black/Petrie over the next few years and dominate. Pretty important IMO that we sign him for at least the next two.

Delaney would be a really nice fit for the Saints.

They better pony up then if they don't want to continually use Blake, Gwilt, and Fisher as their KPD.

Worse thing Delaney can do is nominate a club so we have a jacobs scenario. If he leaves then we better get a darn good deal for him because he's more than just a depth player (especially to a handful of other teams).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he hadn't played in the last couple of weeks I wonder whether people's response to keeping him would be the same and similarly whether clubs would be as interested in him.
I'd say other clubs would certainly be interested in him. He is likely the best full back in the VFL, is ready to go and has AFL quality attributes. Saints and Lions were keen last season too.

If he hadn't played the last two weeks means Grima is fit. A fully fit Grima is a better option so it's unlikely that the call for him to stay would have been as strong. But will Grima ever be fully fit again? He has been managing back issues for a few years now and can't seem to get it right. Being 28 and having only a one year deal placed in front of him, it seems the club is also unsure.

I suspect at least 3 of the following won't be on our senior list next year:
Anthony
Siera
Spud (won't be delisted but may choose to retire)
Kennedy (hope not)
Greenwood (again hope not, but may choose to go elsewhere for more opportunities)
Curran (to be moved to the rookie list if possible)

Mabon may also be in trouble but I doubt it

Adelaide have nothing to offer.
????, With fewer draft options this year, a trade for an experienced player could/should work in our favor. Grima to Adeliade with a 3rd or 4th round pick for Sloane (who hasn't signed as of yet) or even crouch (who is still young and not as experienced). Crows will be welcoming draft picks this year. Grima has suffered many injuries over the past six years. Delaney if given the chance week in week out will become a better defender than Grima. He will be the one North should be retaining

My guess is that if he doesn't sign with us or agree to be part of a deal between us and another club he can put himself into the draft.

If he goes into the draft we would get nothing for him and he would have to go to whichever club drafts him.

Good point MrR. Don't know why everyone keeps mentioning trades, likely he would just walk away and end up at a club that was happy to meet financial terms etc via the draft. Clubs wouldn't bother trading if they don't have to.

As for the news, then yes I think we should keep him over Grima. I think the latter is in decline and struggle to get a game even if we do manage to become a decent team in the future.

Goodbye Grima - your best was good and led us all to believe we were on to something. Injuries played their part but ultimately in todays game you need a backman who is going to win you games of football by providing rebound and creativity, not just be a spoiling, negating player. We were told he was our best runner but is not naturally attacking and never ventures far from the backline or offered an offensive threat. Kicking was ok but not penetrative and was rarely seen kicking the ball into the forward 50

Luke and Cameron should have been given far more time this year, I really think they are the answer, Luke to play on the monsters, and Cameron for his run and skills

If he hadn't played in the last couple of weeks I wonder whether people's response to keeping him would be the same and similarly whether clubs would be as interested in him.

I think the last few weeks has highlighted the issues with Grima's body...and therefore Keys becomes an important player.

Good point MrR. Don't know why everyone keeps mentioning trades, likely he would just walk away and end up at a club that was happy to meet financial terms etc via the draft. Clubs wouldn't bother trading if they don't have to.

As for the news, then yes I think we should keep him over Grima. I think the latter is in decline and struggle to get a game even if we do manage to become a decent team in the future.

I didn't quite understand why Grima was picked alongside Delaney this week. But with all the talk about interest in Delaney and rumors of Adelaide being keen on Grima, Saturday almost looks like a play-off between the two off them. Or perhaps an attempt to encourage both of them to re-sign. Just haven't seen our defense this tall since Brisbane last year. Strange.

I didn't quite understand why Grima was picked alongside Delaney this week. But with all the talk about interest in Delaney and rumors of Adelaide being keen on Grima, Saturday almost looks like a play-off between the two off them. Or perhaps an attempt to encourage both of them to re-sign. Just haven't seen our defense this tall since Brisbane last year. Strange.

It is odd as I just posted myself in the changes thread. Especially against Essendon, we appear a bit tall on paper. I would have thought Hansen, Thompson and Grima/Delaney would be enough.

It may be you are right and that is how Scott is viewing it as a 'play-off'.......unless he just feels Keys would be too hard done by getting dropped. Hard to know!

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #15: Luke Delaney - selected with #25 in '08 RD - traded to St Kilda for #77 in 2013 TW

Remove this Banner Ad

Back