AFL Player #16: Archie Perkins - Re-signed for two more years - 3/6

Remove this Banner Ad

This is very generous

For one, Caldwell was always a star mid in the making.. was showing elite clearance skills. Perkins just does not have that in his kit bag.

I said it a few pages back but Perkins is a stronger Zaharakis. His best skill is getting into scoring chains between wing and half forward and converting a few himself. Which makes him an old school half forward flank.

He has nowhere else to go on the ground aside from maybe wing (and I don’t think he’s ever going to be elite there).. can’t play back, can’t play deep forward, isn’t a mid unless tagging / negating.

And as Ant says, that HHF role is now a crucial one in transition defense. If Perkins is to make it IMO his key metric is tackles / pressure acts. He would need to be an endurance brute who gets games (and gets his 20 touches) on the back of fierce competitiveness.. because he’s not involved enough or elite enough to just swan about focusing on offense.

There were some knocks on his AFL lifestyle? (Or was it just that hat he wore on draft night 🤣)

For his sake I hope he is partying too much because it will give him a few more percent of upside

At the same age as Perkins the most clearances Caldwell had in a game was 6. Perkins started this year with 8 in a best on ground performance and 7 against Sydney the week after. Caldwell didn't get 6 or more again until round 20 of his fifth season. In his 4th season like Perkins is, he was averaging 3.0 clearances. Perkins is averaging 2.9. That isn't to say he will surpass him. But people need to chill out as growth can be slow like Caldwells until it isn't. The guy is in bad form and isn't really moving that well but he was a half forward and has had like a year of development in the role. Even if he fades out the year, I'm willing to bet he comes back a very good player next, as he is on the cusp of AFL required running but not quite there yet.

At the same age as Perkins the most clearances Caldwell had in a game was 6. Perkins started this year with 8 in a best on ground performance and 7 against Sydney the week after. Caldwell didn't get 6 or more again until round 20 of his fifth season. In his 4th season like Perkins is, he was averaging 3.0 clearances. Perkins is averaging 2.9. That isn't to say he will surpass him. But people need to chill out as growth is slow until it isn't. The guy is in bad form and isn't really moving that well but he was a half forward and has had like a year of development in the role. Even if he fades out the year, I'm willing to bet he comes back a very good player next, as he is on the cusp of AFL required running but not quite there yet.
Yes I totally agree he will make it as an AFL player but as for being a midfielder, I trust my eyes more than the clearance stats. Perkins is not a natural IMO and midfield will never be his one wood. He will roll through there with specific jobs to do. Not be one of the guys a team builds around.

At the same age as Perkins the most clearances Caldwell had in a game was 6. Perkins started this year with 8 in a best on ground performance and 7 against Sydney the week after. Caldwell didn't get 6 or more again until round 20 of his fifth season. In his 4th season like Perkins is, he was averaging 3.0 clearances. Perkins is averaging 2.9. That isn't to say he will surpass him. But people need to chill out as growth can be slow like Caldwells until it isn't. The guy is in bad form and isn't really moving that well but he was a half forward and has had like a year of development in the role. Even if he fades out the year, I'm willing to bet he comes back a very good player next, as he is on the cusp of AFL required running but not quite there yet.
The clearance numbers are a bit misleading. Perkins started the year with a simple midfield plan they worked on over summer where he set up to just block his opponent out of the contest and have space in front of him so he could win the footy if it was there or attempt to tackle or nullify the situation if it was not. He was able to win a bit of clearance not because he read it off the ruck but more because he created the space and the ball was there to win.
What has happened as the year has gone on as sides have worked out that if they can move him sideways off the line he becomes pretty much ineffective and his trick has been nullified. He ha not had an answer to it and then when he is not in a position to win the footy his defensive transition issues start to show up more.

Last edited:

Shot for confidence and should have been dropped few weeks ago. Still has huge upside and I still see him as that centre forward mid eventually and arguably most talented youngster.

Striker role ppl also call it, problem is you need to be a star to justify this role and perkins is lacking the confidence and presence that make him good. Club is also rightly making him work on other sides of his game.

He will be right but needs a vfl stint to get his mojo back.

Think I said it 6 weeks ago is trying and getting opportunities to have a impact but just looks down physically and mentally. Maybe even give him a week off to reset and come back through the 2s.

Like clangers current downturn in goal kicking. He is still a good kick but when the confidence is impacted it has a huge effect on performance.

This is very generous

For one, Caldwell was always a star mid in the making.. was showing elite clearance skills. Perkins just does not have that in his kit bag.

I said it a few pages back but Perkins is a stronger Zaharakis. His best skill is getting into scoring chains between wing and half forward and converting a few himself. Which makes him an old school half forward flank.

He has nowhere else to go on the ground aside from maybe wing (and I don’t think he’s ever going to be elite there).. can’t play back, can’t play deep forward, isn’t a mid unless tagging / negating.

And as Ant says, that HHF role is now a crucial one in transition defense. If Perkins is to make it IMO his key metric is tackles / pressure acts. He would need to be an endurance brute who gets games (and gets his 20 touches) on the back of fierce competitiveness.. because he’s not involved enough or elite enough to just swan about focusing on offense.

There were some knocks on his AFL lifestyle? (Or was it just that hat he wore on draft night 🤣)

For his sake I hope he is partying too much because it will give him a few more percent of upside
I subscribe to this sentiment re: Archie. He's just not involved enough.
At one point last night you could see he was clearly frustrated about not receiving a kick - I think it might have been Jye - but he also doesn't find his own ball enough.

I got the impression at the end of last year that he has a sense of entitlement or arrogance or something. He'd said something about his exit interview (?) with Brad and the AFL lifestyle comment, to the effect of; he said we weren't doing X, which we need to do, not that we weren't, but yeah that's what he said.

I've just written a whole lot of nothing, but it struck me at the time, this kid's a tad spoiled.

I subscribe to this sentiment re: Archie. He's just not involved enough.
At one point last night you could see he was clearly frustrated about not receiving a kick - I think it might have been Jye - but he also doesn't find his own ball enough.

I got the impression at the end of last year that he has a sense of entitlement or arrogance or something. He'd said something about his exit interview (?) with Brad and the AFL lifestyle comment, to the effect of; he said we weren't doing X, which we need to do, not that we weren't, but yeah that's what he said.

I've just written a whole lot of nothing, but it struck me at the time, this kid's a tad spoiled.
Yeah I saw a couple of moments like that last night

Someone missed him on the lead (kicked over his head) and got a gobful.

Screams of a guy who is craving some good fortune to get him out of a rut

Think he is naturally bit arrogant/ supremely confident. That's okay, you need it in a team. Also what makes him good.

Obvious Scott and co trying to get that out of some, to a team structure focus. Archie used to blaise away or try and do to much.

Anyone big Ted lasso fans? reminds me of Jamie tart. Lost form/confidence trying to find his way and do the team humble role.

Be a pr**k Archie. 🖕

Stringer, redman, draper other naturally cocky players have all clearly been less so in the last 18 months.

Draper still a work in progress.

I think perkins is trying to find the balance and totally deviod of the supreme confidence that makes him good. Will find the balance and be a better all round player and its just growing pains.

Or I just watched too much Ted Lasso again and perkins isn't that good.

Last edited:
Had a mare of a first quarter against Crisp and didn't get enough of the ball but still had some important touches/marks in the last.

Worth persisting with until at least Parish comes back IMO.

Had a mare of a first quarter against Crisp and didn't get enough of the ball but still had some important touches/marks in the last.

Worth persisting with until at least Parish comes back IMO.
I was asking myself, ‘who comes out if we bring players back in’. Him and Kelly were the first that came to mind unless Shiel loses his mojo again. Kelly is in Scott’s good books and plays an important adaptable role. Guelfi is too important as well. Heppell will come back in and Goldy seems to still be in Brad’s favoured structure so it might happen before Parish comes back.

There’s no way I’d leave out Cox or Caddy either.

I was asking myself, ‘who comes out if we bring players back in’. Him and Kelly were the first that came to mind unless Shiel loses his mojo again. Kelly is in Scott’s good books and plays an important adaptable role. Guelfi is too important as well. Heppell will come back in and Goldy seems to still be in Brad’s favoured structure so it might happen before Parish comes back.

There’s no way I’d leave out Cox or Caddy either.
I hear you. I think we are better without Heppell & Goldy notwithstanding they have been great this year. Having said that, they will be selected soon.

I suppose this is what good teams have, depth of AFL ready players. The competition for spots is a good problem to have. Players get hungry.

Look at the Blues, omitted Hewett, some call!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's obviously been given the license to take the game on and have a shot in f50 whenever it's there.
Problem is that's cost us far more goals than it's netted this year, including a few at crucial moments in the last few games when he's had wide open teammates. Weird thing is they never seem to lay into him after he burns them, which is not at all the case if Archie isn't given first option, he always has a sook.

I still reckon he's got huge potential, but it's not happening for him right now. On the upside he's using his body pretty well in the contest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back