Preview Round 16: Essendon v Geelong - MCG - Country Game Apparently - Saturday 29th June - 7:30pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the other hand, Caddy was a late in for Goldy last week. Could be that Brad wants to go back to the original strategy he'd planned. Maybe there's something about that that we need to know.

You mean an AFL coach might know more than some nuffies (and I include myself in that before anyone gets too excited) on figbooty? :eek:

I mean, it's just a theory.
I've been that person too. I will probably be that person again at some point.

I think at some point over the past two decades we've all been that person.

I'd like to think that in a season where we've seen some genuine change and growth we could just enjoy it.

CHANGES SINCE LAST TIME:

GEELONG OUTS: Hawkins, Smith, Bruhn, Stanley, O. Henry, Mullin
GEELONG INS: Humphries, Tuohy, Dempsey, Neale, Clark, Knevitt

ESSENDON OUTS: Parish, Bryan, Zerk-Thatcher, Hobbs, Snelling, Menzie, Weideman
ESSENDON INS: Jones, Duursma, McKay, Goldstein, Draper, Gresham, Cox
Only one of these lists is substantially better

Problem we seem to continually have is Oppo players exiting the front of the stoppage, last week Liam Ryan of all people took his turn, and it's dangers forte. I think when merret is on a hard tag and stringer is attacking the stoppage we lack the anchor in there while Caldwell has his hands full negating
To be fair, Ryan wasn't "playing midfield". He was standing at the front of the stoppage minding his own business and the ball kept falling in his lap.

If we get our hands on the ball the problem obviously goes away but we certainly need to be aware of that player forward. The worst example of it killing us was against Port when it seemed to be every single stoppage, whether it be centre clearance or around the ground.

To be fair, Ryan wasn't "playing midfield". He was standing at the front of the stoppage minding his own business and the ball kept falling in his lap.

If we get our hands on the ball the problem obviously goes away but we certainly need to be aware of that player forward. The worst example of it killing us was against Port when it seemed to be every single stoppage, whether it be centre clearance or around the ground.

Ryan was taking CBA's so was definitely starting in the midfield. We keep letting guys like that (e.g. Rozee) run straight forward from centre bounces and it's hugely problematic.

I think Parish helps because he's incredibly good at reading ruck taps (from whichever ruck) so can often win clearances that our other players aren't able to, so even though he's defensively not great he's much less of a liability than say Perkins, who's also not the best defensively but can't read ruck taps.

Ryan was taking CBA's so was definitely starting in the midfield. We keep letting guys like that (e.g. Rozee) run straight forward from centre bounces and it's hugely problematic.

I think Parish helps because he's incredibly good at reading ruck taps (from whichever ruck) so can often win clearances that our other players aren't able to, so even though he's defensively not great he's much less of a liability than say Perkins, who's also not the best defensively but can't read ruck taps.
I know he was starting there, I was being facetious. It seemed you and I could've got a couple of break away clearances by just standing there and waiting for Yeo or someone to handball forward to us.

Bloody spot on.

We were better and defending at stoppages even if we didn't get first touch earlier in year (apart from port game).
I think the drop off is due to losing parish/hobbs/setterfield all at similar times as well as perkins missing a stretch too. Just meant the load had to be carried by a smaller group of guys so they are getting a bit worn out and also had to play stringer at CBAs more to cover for loss of mids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did notice Scott mention that the parish role is super important and one we haven't been able to replace, was curious what exactly this role is that we can't cover with anyone else

I think at some point over the past two decades we've all been that person.

I'd like to think that in a season where we've seen some genuine change and growth we could just enjoy it.
hat_tip_02.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back